• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadline Trades

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi guys, I was wondering, with the Pirates getting back in action tomorrow & with only a liitle more than 12 days left until the MLB Trade Deadline arrives...

When do you guys think Neal Huntington will make his 1st move for the Bucs?

Gotta be honest here, I was hoping for a move over the All - Star break, to get some help for this Reds series starting tomorrow.

Didn't happen.

Thoughts...

Burgh

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench IF bat for sure, maybe a starter depending on Wandy's status.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My predictions are Bud Norris, Alex Rios and Alexei Ramirez. Maybe Kendrys Morales. Bench gets stronger by pushing some current starters to the bench. I think the Pirates are much more likely to take on the salary of Rios and Ramirez than to send any top prospects to the White Sox. I think Bud Norris would require a Wandy-like package.

So much speculation and hard to figure any trades out until other players start to get traded.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per reports the Astros asking price for Norris might be way too high.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i have always liked norris. he seemed to do well against us most times.
what is his contract/control status.

i agree, take on salary this year and not give up prospects if we dont have to.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have always liked norris. he seemed to do well against us most times.
what is his contract/control status.

i agree, take on salary this year and not give up prospects if we dont have to.

I guess thats why the reports of Rios and Ramirez are out there. The Pirates might be willing to take on their salaries. I am not too sold on that to have both their salaries next year.

With Norris he can't be a FA until 2016 and is arbitration eligible next year.
My concern with him this year though is his hits are up and his k's are down. The positive is his walks are down. Is that a chance in philosophy or is something going on?

Astros' asking price is high on Bud Norris, but is it unreasonable? - CBSSports.com not sure he is worth two top prospects though?

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess thats why the reports of Rios and Ramirez are out there. The Pirates might be willing to take on their salaries. I am not too sold on that to have both their salaries next year.

With Norris he can't be a FA until 2016 and is arbitration eligible next year.
My concern with him this year though is his hits are up and his k's are down. The positive is his walks are down. Is that a chance in philosophy or is something going on?

Astros' asking price is high on Bud Norris, but is it unreasonable? - CBSSports.com not sure he is worth two top prospects though?

norris not worth top prospects. we have enough at AAA and with gomez to get by till more re-enforcements next year.

ramirez isnt really an upgrade and very expensive. mercer is better in the long run.

rios is the only possibility, but similar stats to prorated tabata. not sure if either of them will keep it up.

tsmbaseball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rios has the remainder of this year's $12.5 million, is owed $12.5 million next season, and $13.5 million in 2015 with a $1 million buyout. With Pittsburgh's payroll floating around $70 million, I think if they were looking to upgrade with a player like Rios, they'd probably give up the prospects and let Chicago eat some of the salary before committing 20% of their payroll to one player.

That being said, I think Huntington stands relatively pat this trading deadline. He's said from day one that he wants to build a culture in Pittsburgh through signing and developing talent internally, so I would be surprised if he dealt high-ceiling, cost controlled pieces like Polanco or Hanson for one or two overpriced years of a veteran player.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rios has the remainder of this year's $12.5 million, is owed $12.5 million next season, and $13.5 million in 2015 with a $1 million buyout. With Pittsburgh's payroll floating around $70 million, I think if they were looking to upgrade with a player like Rios, they'd probably give up the prospects and let Chicago eat some of the salary before committing 20% of their payroll to one player.

That being said, I think Huntington stands relatively pat this trading deadline. He's said from day one that he wants to build a culture in Pittsburgh through signing and developing talent internally, so I would be surprised if he dealt high-ceiling, cost controlled pieces like Polanco or Hanson for one or two overpriced years of a veteran player.

I don't know that I would call Rios an upgrade. More of a track record of average to slightly below performance with 2 good seasons thrown in. He has a name and Tabata doesn't, but I would rather have Tabata in RF than Rios.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucs need at least one bench bat. Maybe they will acquire one when Mckenry's average hits .150. I've seen him strikeout about enough

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We talk about trades for RF, however, can someone explain something to me...

Why hasn't Andrew Lambo been called up from Indy yet & given an everyday shot in RF???

Lambo, is mashing in AAA & he pretty much has been doing so most of the yr, yet he continues to sit in AAA, while we pussy foot are way around & have lost some important games.

I am not saying Lambo will be the answer in RF. However, at this point I would sure like to see him given a legit shot at it. Tabata & Snider are not the answer ( And I still like Snider )

I wold much prefer Lambo be given a chance in RF, rather than give up a quality prospect or two, to take on the bloated contract of an Alex Rios.

Bring up Lambo, give him RF and use the money saved & the prospects for other deals & other upgrades to this team at the deadline.

Just my thoughts.

Burgh

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Why hasn't Andrew Lambo been called up from Indy yet & given an everyday shot in RF???

Lambo, is mashing in AAA & he pretty much has been doing so most of the yr, yet he continues to sit in AAA, while we pussy foot are way around & have lost some important games.

I am not saying Lambo will be the answer in RF. However, at this point I would sure like to see him given a legit shot at it. Tabata & Snider are not the answer ( And I still like Snider )

I wold much prefer Lambo be given a chance in RF, rather than give up a quality prospect or two, to take on the bloated contract of an Alex Rios.

Bring up Lambo, give him RF and use the money saved & the prospects for other deals & other upgrades to this team at the deadline.

Just my thoughts.

Burgh

i agree,
i have been asking for the last month(since we dumped jon mcD) to give an audition to
lambo, dejesus, and t sanchez to see if we have internal replacements for
snider, inge, and mcK.

all three have shown something at AAA, and been consistent this year.
nothing to lose when compared to our 3 current bench spots.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just my thoughts.

Burgh

Absolutely. There's no reason Inge should be on this team. Or The Fort

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. There's no reason Inge should be on this team. Or The Fort

You, I, and most Pirate fans are on the same page about Inge. It seems he has struck out in almost every bat he's had lately, and many of his whiffs have been in crucial points in close games the Pirates eventually lost. He must provide a helluva clubhouse presence for management to have kept him this long into the season.

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for "The Fort" (the dumbest nickname in major league history), I'm OK with him as a backup. His hitting has always been subpar, but he has his moments and is a good defensive catcher. What the team really needs is a firstbaseman and/or rightfielder who can hit. Gaby Sanchez will always be nothing more than a .230 hitter with occasional power and I'm tired of Tabata's approach to hitting. Seems most of his hits come on weak dribblers that he beats out for infield singles. It would be great to have a real major leaguer to play in right when Jones isn't playing.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way I'm good with Mckenry as a backup catcher or even a bench bat. As you say, he doesn't have much of a bat, and I don't think you can call him a good defensive catcher when he's throwing out 9% of runners attempting to steal. I just don't see that he brings anything of value to this team. As far as I'm concerned, both he and Inge are wasting roster spots.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Just my thoughts.

Burgh

It really isn't that easy. Lambo isn't on the 40 man roster so a spot would have to be cleared. Inge would seem to be the easy choice, however, the one thing Inge has that Lambo doesn't is a track record.

Another factor is that Lambo has heen very pedestrian in the month of July. He has 2HR and a .716OPS. I think his OBP is barely over .300 in the month as well. So basically Tabata is performing better in July at the major league level than Lambo is at AAA. Lambo also has a pretty significant platoon split so you could not even platoon him in RF with any of the other 3 options we have on the roster.

Basically Lambo has more value to us as a "prospect" in AAA than he would on a major league roster. He could be a third player added in a trade for a rental player we pick up for the stretch run.

That being said, if we don't make a move to pick up a bat and Lambo can adjust to AAA pitching in the next couple weeks, he would almost have to come up before July 31 so that he could be available for us to use on our playoff roster.

damien232307

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for Rios. He would be a tremendous upgrade in right and a middle of the order bat. I also feel Ramirez is a significant upgrade over what we have if we don't part with a top 5 prospect. Dangle Josh Bell and some B level prospects like Lambo and a pitcher. I think a change of scenery would be great for them both and would deepen the lineup and lengthen the bench.