• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current, former players shocked Lamar is not getting more interest

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL theory:

Never sign a RB to a 2nd contract. They likely are not going to live up to what they did on their rookie deal as it is just the nature of the position and how players degrade.

Why wouldn't the same hold true of a running QB?

I mean if Lamar Jackson only runs for 400 yards per season....is he really that good of a QB?!?

It really is the same reason I personally think that the Bears should move on from Fields. He likely is never going to run for as many yards as he did this last season. And if you are relying on your QB to cover up his lack of skill throwing the football with his legs, it means basically every running QB gets a little worse after a couple of seasons of beatings.

Not saying I wouldnt take Lamar on my team. But I wouldnt want them to go broke picking up the guy knowing that his best NFL years are likely behind him already.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deshaun Watson also missed two seasons, one due to a knee injury, another due to being a pervert. I agree that Cleveland is an outlier and stupid franchise, but if you want to compare the two, Lamar is just as deserving of a big contract, risk-wise, as Watson.
A LOT of teams were trying to give Watson the bag. Probably the entire NFC South while Brady was retired.

Watson, on the field, projected as a better player to invest in long-term because of his ability to throw the football. His last year in Houston he had an 8.9 YPA and passed for over 300 yards a game. Jackson has a 6.9 YPA and passed for 186 yards a game.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A LOT of teams were trying to give Watson the bag. Probably the entire NFC South while Brady was retired.

Watson, on the field, projected as a better player to invest in long-term because of his ability to throw the football. His last year in Houston he had an 8.9 YPA and passed for over 300 yards a game. Jackson has a 6.9 YPA and passed for 186 yards a game.

Yeah Watson very quietly before the scandal was one of the best QB's in the league because of his PASSING ability.

But man did he look awful last year.

It's like he cant relax or something. Maybe he needs to find something to do off the field to calm his mind. I dont maybe something like a spa day or a massage.....er, wait a minute.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the funniest part in this is the Commanders... We're just a year removed from them throwing 3 1st Rd picks at Russell Wilson.
Kinda proves the theory what teams think of Lamar. He can’t consistently throw the ball, needs a scheme built around him, isn’t worth picks and a huge contract, his glaring weaknesses are highlighted in the playoffs, etc.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL theory:

Never sign a RB to a 2nd contract. They likely are not going to live up to what they did on their rookie deal as it is just the nature of the position and how players degrade.

Why wouldn't the same hold true of a running QB?

I mean if Lamar Jackson only runs for 400 yards per season....is he really that good of a QB?!?

It really is the same reason I personally think that the Bears should move on from Fields. He likely is never going to run for as many yards as he did this last season. And if you are relying on your QB to cover up his lack of skill throwing the football with his legs, it means basically every running QB gets a little worse after a couple of seasons of beatings.

Not saying I wouldnt take Lamar on my team. But I wouldnt want them to go broke picking up the guy knowing that his best NFL years are likely behind him already.

Yeah espn did a study and it was basically you want the first 6 years

It seems any outliers are like priest holmes who are either sharing Carries and/or pass catchers who can avoid as many hits

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda proves the theory what teams think of Lamar. He can’t consistently throw the ball, needs a scheme built around him, isn’t worth picks and a huge contract, his glaring weaknesses are highlighted in the playoffs, etc.
Not to mention the potential return on a long-term contract (even if not full guaranteed, what if he "settles" for 80%) would hamstring a team for years after he's no longer the same runner he used to be....

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harsh reality should be hitting “blee dat” right about now. He should’ve happily signed what the ravens offered. I’ve heard it was a very nice deal

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams have resources. Salary cap/cash is a resource and Draft picks are a resource. If you think a free agent is worth $180M over 4 years you offer him $180M over 4 years. If you think 1st round picks are worth $20M and the same player is going to cost you 2 X 1st round picks you offer him $140M over 4 years rather than the $180M you'd offer if he was a free agent. It's a number crunching business. Additionally 1st round picks have a very wide range of values so the trade pick rules effectively make signing a tagged player a worse value choice for the weaker teams.

I'd like to see the franchise tag reduced from 2 X 1st round picks to just 3 X 2nd round picks, (which would be about half the value of 2 average 1st round picks). I'd also like to see the exclusive franchise tag change to 125% of the non-exclusive tag. That would have made the Ravens decision a bit more interesting.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that the details are out for the Daniel Jones contract do the ex-players want to STFU?
Think Lamar was going to sign a deal that basically could be 3 years at $37.5M per if the team so chooses to get out of it at that point?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens knew exactly what they were doing. Jackson was an incredible electric player out of college with a short shelf life... the Ravens moved up to the 32nd to guarantee the cheap 5th year option, and called it a day once the 6th year (last) arrived. He's gotten worse every year and injuries are starting to pile up and was never that great in the playoffs.

Ravens will end up trading him for CHEAP if it comes to it... I actually think the contract the Ravens offered (what was it $200M or something ridiculous?) was a bunch of hearsay and BS.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All teams should scheme around the QB... however, that is with the common conception that all QBs have the same foundations of QB fundamentals. We know in Lamar's case, it's different.

My point of view is that, if your game revolves around running the ball, then why not find younger players capable of the same thing... I mean, didn't Huntley prove that you can plug & play Lamar's skillset into that Baltimore offense? I know it wasn't exactly the same, but you catch my drift. He did make the pro bowl, right?

I just don't think teams want to be that 1-dimensional on offense. Baltimore hasn't been shy about force-feeding the run, and building their offense to continue to do it.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new standard was already set when the Browns fully guaranteed a deal for a public embarrassment to be made the face of their franchise. You can’t put the horse back in the barn.
Leave it to the Browns to always fuck it up

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't been all that good the times he's been on the field lately. They're forced to have an actual servicable backup. I'm actually crossing my fingers he does stay a Raven.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens knew exactly what they were doing. Jackson was an incredible electric player out of college with a short shelf life... the Ravens moved up to the 32nd to guarantee the cheap 5th year option, and called it a day once the 6th year (last) arrived. He's gotten worse every year and injuries are starting to pile up and was never that great in the playoffs.

Ravens will end up trading him for CHEAP if it comes to it... I actually think the contract the Ravens offered (what was it $200M or something ridiculous?) was a bunch of hearsay and BS.
It was something like 250M with 133 guaranteed. Or something like that. LJ wants fully guaranteed.

I don't think he's going to get it....and I certainly wouldn't give it to a QB who relies more on his legs than his arm.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All teams should scheme around the QB... however, that is with the common conception that all QBs have the same foundations of QB fundamentals. We know in Lamar's case, it's different.

My point of view is that, if your game revolves around running the ball, then why not find younger players capable of the same thing... I mean, didn't Huntley prove that you can plug & play Lamar's skillset into that Baltimore offense? I know it wasn't exactly the same, but you catch my drift. He did make the pro bowl, right?

I just don't think teams want to be that 1-dimensional on offense. Baltimore hasn't been shy about force-feeding the run, and building their offense to continue to do it.
I should have said, "a very specific scheme that most teams would not use" lol.

I agree, you can find other guys that fit that scheme but in the end...where is it getting you? At some point, in today's league you will need to throw the ball. You aren't beating Mahomes, Burrow and Allen with this type of scheme imo. Lamar is probably the best runner of all-time at the QB position so maybe they get someone similar but is better at throwing the ball. I think Huntley did pretty good for being a nobody.