• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Corky Miller

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought he would be in contention for the star of the game.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Stache!

54-topps-corky-miller.jpg

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't expect anything, you will never be disappointed. No one expects Corky to be a 2 hole hitter, hit 30 HR or win 20 games. On the flip side, I have to believe, strictly from an on field perspective, the more a Corky Miller plays, the weaker your team is.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty is starting 0 for 28 Todd Frazier today, batting in the 2 hole

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cozart has not been in the 2 hole since Bill Cunningham's tirade on 700WLW a few weeks ago. There have been as many position player bunt attempts after leadoff doubles since then, as the rest of the previous season combined. I wish the W-L record had turned around too, but it does appear that Dusty has been less Dustyesc since Cunningham's rant too. I don't believe Dusty is feeling any heat for his job, but he doesn't like public criticism either. With Frazier, where he hits isn't going to turn him into a different guy, but he may get less balls in the dirt with Votto behind him, or not...but there is no one threatening to take his 3b job either.

It may be coincidence, or differ from personality to personality, but Encarnacion didn't find his stroke until he was traded, then forced out of his position, and sent to the minors, either. Sometimes job security leads to complacency. Drew Stubbs is still Drew Stubbs, and although he's been traded and forced to another position, the big knock on him still exists (bat)...but he's still starting too. Dusty has had trouble winning in non-contract years.

Just saying.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To some end, moving Frazier up to the 2 spot makes some bizarre sense.
It's his swing that's out of whack and if he sees some fastballs, maybe ...

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Fraziers attitude. I'm pleasantly suprized at his D this year. I'm not surprised he's hitting .020 lower than he did in the high minors though. It just didn't take that many accidental hits to fall in while swinging at 59 ft breaking balls last year, and a less than complete scouting report on him, to hit .020 higher than he hit in the high minors, for a few months. That all isn't going to change because Votto is on the on deck circle, ask every other non- hitting 2 hole hitter in the last 3 or 4 seasons. It's not the lineup spot that determines how you hit, it's the guy swinging the lumber. He's young enough to improve, if he's got it in him to do it on his own, or if he gets decent advise that doesn't make him worse.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corky had a big game today. And the Reds are on they're way now. At least till tomorrow, but what the hell. They have won 2 in a row.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against a division leader no less.

Maybe it was Corky they needed, not Ludwick ? Whatever.

Was Teddy in the dugout again ? Their win % is amazing when he's there. Maybe they just need some perspective. Unconditional love without possibility of being framed for a loss. Maybe they just needed to play a team that doesn't know them that well, that also struggles to score without charitable donations.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland is reaching for the rainbow with a 6-foot stepladder.
But as long as the rest of the division plays like bums, the A's will shine.
Melvin seems to have a nice mix of players that fit nicely inside the Coliseum.
The Rangers keep self-destructing, though.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random odd question -

Do you think Miller has taken any grief concerning the old T.V show Life goes on?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Miller has taken any grief concerning the old T.V show Life goes on?

Could be, early on ... he might have. I doubt many of the current players even know about it.
I remember that show. I assume that kid is still living, though maybe not.

corkey-original-hipster-life-goes-on-humor-photo.png

Last edited by a moderator:

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's hard not to have respect for a player like corky miller. he has hung in there like grim death itself for well over a decade. when i saw how he sacrificed his body today blocking the plate, and possibly saving the game, i was truly inspired. i'm not kidding. it's not often that happens.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy pours concrete and roofs houses in the offseason. He's getting a years salary a month in the bigs. He has perspective, not a hardon that Hanigan got a bigger deal. It doesn't make him better unfortunately, but it shows leadership. This team needs some.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corky or Teddy needs to manage this team--both upgrades from the dufus called Dusteromus

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think younger fans, that don't remember the BRM and 90's teams probably are happier with the current Reds than us older fans are. It always amazed me the consistently large following for the Cubs. It's almost like the historic futility adds to their appeal somehow. In that regard, I'm surprised Dusty didn't last longer there.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What tends to happen with small-market teams is pretty clear.
The window slams shut and that leaves with the ongoing ... well, what do we have in the farm system?
Royals fans have been lied to since 1994 about "next year" being the year the team will arise. So far, that's happening again next year, I suppose.

Gotta be happy for Parrots fans, seeing as how they finally got something for their patience. Cubs fans, I don't know ... but it seems like if they'd tell that franchise to go fuck itself, they'd get a true image of just how bad it is there. The alternative is the White Sox and NO Cubs fan would dare change sides.

I do know some fans who do, and I wonder what kind of fluid runs through their system.

Usually, though, when it goes sour on most teams, the ones that stay afloat have the fans who make you want their team bus to get stuck in a pool of raw sewage.