• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Computer folks...need help

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking to buy a new computer, kinda in need of an new one rather soon. Was looking at deals today. This one any good?

https://deals.bestbuy.com//computer...n+slimline+s51554+desktop++20quot+led+monitor

IT has been awhile since I've followed CPU's and haven't kept up to date with them to know whats good out there. Want a desktop now as I have a Laptop but it basically has become a desktop considering its battery life is dead and the thing is about 5 years old so it is not as powerful anymore.

I am also looking for a CPU that can play games such as Diablo...Will this be a good gamer computer? Or too weak?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, I can't believe how cheap desktops seem to be these days...20 inch LED screen!?!? And the specs looks like it is somewhat powerful and a ahuge memory space.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TM I do not have the budget to afford a MAC.

I also do not know if HP is any good? I currently have a Dell and like it, I also had an AMD desktop before this Dell and liked the AMD.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
outb4 Mac v PC shitstorm

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your using this for heavy graphics gaming, this computer is shit for that. My suggestion is look at a computer with more than a single processor and speeds better than 3.2Ghz as far as processor speeds go. I would also look for a computer with more than 6 Gb of RAM(memory). If your looking for a gaming computer, try going to a computer specific shop and see what they have available, sometimes they have them in shop and for pretty decent prices. As with all gaming computers, you want to make sure the graphics card is tops and has its own onboard fan(s) to ensure proper cooling. Budget for a gaming computer bought in shop does not have to be high, around $600 to $1000 for a good one, less if you plan to replace it within a couple of years due to overheating and buying cheaper to begin with. Ans in everything, Quality costs most times. Hope this helps.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that helps a bit. But, I kinda disagree a little that that computer won;t be able to handle games like Diablo 3. I am not a huge gamer at all, the only reason I would play Diablo is because my good friend is addicted to it.

But overall not a huge gamer nor do i Play for hours on end. Mostly will need the computer for everyday use. And something that is just stronger and faster than what I got now.

But I will continue to look this week for a deal. I think $550 is my max I am willing to spend.

Just amazes me nowadays how cheap computers are, especially desktops. I remember just a couple years ago when I was even buying my laptop that things I am seeing no for $450 were like $1,000

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OD must have won his poker game.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that helps a bit. But, I kinda disagree a little that that computer won;t be able to handle games like Diablo 3. I am not a huge gamer at all, the only reason I would play Diablo is because my good friend is addicted to it.

But overall not a huge gamer nor do i Play for hours on end. Mostly will need the computer for everyday use. And something that is just stronger and faster than what I got now.

But I will continue to look this week for a deal. I think $550 is my max I am willing to spend.

Just amazes me nowadays how cheap computers are, especially desktops. I remember just a couple years ago when I was even buying my laptop that things I am seeing no for $450 were like $1,000

Thats why i said heavy graphics games. I think it would be ok for that, especially if you are currently playing it on your system now with no problems. Most of your true gamers play games that need the secondary graphics card with its own onboard processors and fans. The Card is like a mini CPU all on its own, and the games actually require this. That is why I worded my first post that way. You can find a good HP, Compaq, or Dell for around $400 to $600 dollars. Good luck and let us know what you finally decided on.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wagon....Sorry didn't see that in your first post. But currently I actually can't play the game on my current Comp as it is not strong enough.

What is the difference between gaming computers and your strongest everyday computer? Seems as if, I had the money to do so. I would buy the strongest gaming computer over the strongest 'everyday' computer as it seems gaming computers are loaded with the best everything. Or is there something that seperates your normal comp with a gaming comp? Like does a gaming comp have a weakness compare to your everday strong CPU?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#4 is clearly the most efficient priced one as it comes with a monitor and is already cheaper overall as the rest. But it doesn't appear to be a multi core processor?

#2 and #3 look to be the same computer, just different processors, if I want AMD or Intel. I had an AMD once and loved it when it worked, but it did die out on my after about 4 years. Never had an intel core die out on me. But wondering if there are different specs to these two with it being two different processors.

Definitely appears I will go with 2 or 3...However I will also need to buy a monitor to go along with it.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#4 is clearly the most efficient priced one as it comes with a monitor and is already cheaper overall as the rest. But it doesn't appear to be a multi core processor?

#2 and #3 look to be the same computer, just different processors, if I want AMD or Intel. I had an AMD once and loved it when it worked, but it did die out on my after about 4 years. Never had an intel core die out on me. But wondering if there are different specs to these two with it being two different processors.

Definitely appears I will go with 2 or 3...However I will also need to buy a monitor to go along with it.

Did some research on my own and found a few, look over them and see what you think.

Link 1 CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme GUA250 w/ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz Gaming Computer | Overstock.com

Link 2 HP Pavilion Elite h8-1010 - Core i5 2390T 2.7 GHz none. - product details - Bing Shopping

Try this and see what you think, all IO did was search gaming computers and do a bit of research. Hope this helps.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're only playing diablo 3, you don't need a gaming computer and the reason for not buying a gaming computer now, is in about a year or 2, that is where regular computers will be for less than half the price.

cju84

Logic Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That probably is not good enough. Most video cards needed to play newer games (Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, or any MMORPG) will cost you around $200.

You can build your own gaming PC for under $600 (Youtube is amazing for this).

Also, just read reviews on the games you want to play. Look at what the minimum settings are to run things on "high" or "ultra".

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wagon thanks for those links. I saw that first one at Fry's I think and that HP one is new to me. I will look into that one more as it is much more reasonably priced.

cju I think a multi core processor computer will do just fine running Diablo 3. I can't imagine Blizzard creating a game that is only playable on thousand dollar machines.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also anyone have opinions on Windows 8? I have read great reviews from "experts" but your general computer user seems to dislike it. I will NOT get a touch screen monitor and have that be my only source of navigation.

Windows 7 better?