• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I need a new computer.. some help please

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I do those only if all else fails, start the boot scan, put on a pot of coffee, drink entire pot of coffee, go check to see if boot scan is finished.

I'll just turn it on and go to work.. when i get home it should be good to go!.. lol

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes it's just faster for me to pull the hard drive and hook it up externally to my safe machine and scan the entire drive and then do a remote edit of the registry.

:laugh3: like i would know how to do that.. you know im blonde right?.. and trust me it goes allllll the way to the roots

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I've been working on computers in one fashion or another for 35 years right? All those training classes I paid for have come in handy, well maybe my degree had something do with it too, who knows.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I've been working on computers in one fashion or another for 35 years right? All those training classes I paid for have come in handy, well maybe my degree had something do with it too, who knows.

I believe you said something like that.. im lucky that i at least know how to turn one on .. lol

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take that back.. I do know how to turn one on... AND i replaced/upgraded the memory in an old laptop once.. only because the man at office depot showed me how to pop the back off.. slide the memory board out and put in the new one.. i can do that at least :lol:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

She could also download a registry cleaner like C-cleaner or Glary. I use Glary on my registry, Malwarebytes for my ..well malware and microsoft security essentials free for the other protection. I dont pay for anything and my systems run fine. I am also in IT so I dont worry about it if it does go down, I just wipe it clean and back it up. I have not paid for AV protection in many years and never lost a system.

When you buy a computer nowdays they only give you a trial version of office. You will either have to buy it or use OpenOfice 4.0 which is a freeware version that can be downloaded and its compatible with Linux, Microsoft, Apple and one other that escapes me right now. What i like about that product is it will open docx files, PPT files and many others. Being that she is going to college, she will either need office or something that will work like Office as she will be writing lots of papers and doing powerpoint presentations. just my two cents here.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you said something like that.. im lucky that i at least know how to turn one on .. lol

My problem is all the training classes the companies I worked for in the past is really now useless except for the couple of Microsoft courses. Nobody needs a VAX sys admin these days...

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She could also download a registry cleaner like C-cleaner or Glary. I use Glary on my registry, Malwarebytes for my ..well malware and microsoft security essentials free for the other protection. I dont pay for anything and my systems run fine. I am also in IT so I dont worry about it if it does go down, I just wipe it clean and back it up. I have not paid for AV protection in many years and never lost a system.

When you buy a computer nowdays they only give you a trial version of office. You will either have to buy it or use OpenOfice 4.0 which is a freeware version that can be downloaded and its compatible with Linux, Microsoft, Apple and one other that escapes me right now. What i like about that product is it will open docx files, PPT files and many others. Being that she is going to college, she will either need office or something that will work like Office as she will be writing lots of papers and doing powerpoint presentations. just my two cents here.

C-Cleaner won't remove locked registry keys, none of the registry cleaners will. As for Office, I don't know if the school her daughter is attending would let her use LibreOffice or OpenOffice even though for the most part they are file compatible, getting help would be an issue in most cases. I know that if you go to our local college and are not using MS Office forget about getting help.

As for system recovery the new recovery options in Windows 8 work just like wiping out and doing fresh install or reinstall Windows but save data first. Windows 7 works well too but you need to make the recovery DVD and have system and data backup on another drive. I like this because you don't have to reinstall all the updates to Windows.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C-Cleaner won't remove locked registry keys, none of the registry cleaners will. As for Office, I don't know if the school her daughter is attending would let her use LibreOffice or OpenOffice even though for the most part they are file compatible, getting help would be an issue in most cases. I know that if you go to our local college and are not using MS Office forget about getting help.

As for system recovery the new recovery options in Windows 8 work just like wiping out and doing fresh install or reinstall Windows but save data first. Windows 7 works well too but you need to make the recovery DVD and have system and data backup on another drive. I like this because you don't have to reinstall all the updates to Windows.

I was thinking of a registry cleaner for fixing smaller problems. Registry errors happen at the drop of a hat, so its always good to clean up those smaller errors when you can. I know many classes allow you the opportunity to work on projects and papers in class depending on the workload of that particular class, so she could start her projects in class in Word and then open them at home with her openoffice product. Very similar in style now and alot of the same feature, especially with the new 4.0 version. I have it on one of my computers and its works great.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking of a registry cleaner for fixing smaller problems. Registry errors happen at the drop of a hat, so its always good to clean up those smaller errors when you can. I know many classes allow you the opportunity to work on projects and papers in class depending on the workload of that particular class, so she could start her projects in class in Word and then open them at home with her openoffice product. Very similar in style now and alot of the same feature, especially with the new 4.0 version. I have it on one of my computers and its works great.

I have a registry cleaner.. idk how good of one it is.. it was free of course.. seems to work.. but then again i am not really all THAT knowledgable about the software..

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dumped OpenOffice for LibreOffice about a year and a half ago. Got tired of waiting for them to get OO updated.

Have you looked at Wise software tools, their registry cleaner and disk cleaner work in tandem. Run the disk cleaner first to remove dead temp files, etc along with being able to clean out old Windows update files and then the registry cleaner can really do some pruning.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks yall for helping me out tonight.. reallllllly appreciate it!! :love: Im going to run the avast full scan now and go to bed.. tty tomorrow.. i gotta work in the mernin..

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dumped OpenOffice for LibreOffice about a year and a half ago. Got tired of waiting for them to get OO updated.

Have you looked at Wise software tools, their registry cleaner and disk cleaner work in tandem. Run the disk cleaner first to remove dead temp files, etc along with being able to clean out old Windows update files and then the registry cleaner can really do some pruning.

Yeah, but its about the same as Glary and i have that installed already, so i just go with what i know best.

I am currently using openoffice 4.0 and its eerily similar in style to MS Office products. I actually like it better in some respects and the fact its free make it all the better. I am like KT, I am cheap even though I have contacts and could probably get anything for free, I just prefer to use the ope source stuff to try it and help promote that side of things. I recommend alot of people to Linux OS's too even though its a learning curve, they are so much faster.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put my niece's boy on a Linux system just last month. He wanted to learn computers (he's 14) and I had an old Vista machine doing nothing so I just wiped it and put Ubuntu on it for him. He really likes it so far. Am going to have to get Wine installed for him so he can install some Windows games he wants.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got my wife an ASUS. Works fine for what she needs (Publisher and interwebz browsing) and doesn't come with a lot of crapware. It's a little cheaper than Dell or HP, but just as good quality. Honestly, I think Dell has started to go down over the last few years.