• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carcillo to the Kings

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clifford didn't file for arbitration :noidea:

He was the only one then. For some reason I thought he had. Is he not able to file? I know there is now a gap in which a player can become a RFA but is not able to file.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he will probably get a deal worth $2.5-$3 million per season if he signs with LA.

Seriously you think he gets that much? Seems steep to me. I'd put him more around $1.75 million.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the only one then. For some reason I thought he had. Is he not able to file? I know there is now a gap in which a player can become a RFA but is not able to file.

There's always been a gap - it's based on when you sign your first SPC. The younger you are, the more time you need in the league but the general number is 4 years experience as before:

18-20 years old/4 years
21 years old/3 years
22-23 years old/2 years
24 years old/1 year

It's deliberately set up that way (with the gap) so that young RFAs can't really file until their second contract really.

Clifford signed his ELC on 9/22/09 at age 18 and turned 22 in January but Entry Level slide pushed his expiration date from June 30 2012 to June 30 2013. That's 3 years experience, so he is not eligible for arbitration now (at the end of this contract).

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously you think he gets that much? Seems steep to me. I'd put him more around $1.75 million.

Definitely think that is undervalue. I don't think $2.75 million is too much for him. Maybe today, but if he progresses not in 2 years.

He has shown he has some hands, he can fight (his concussion history scares me though being so young) and he hasn't quite reached his ceiling. Dumbo pays for those types of guys on long term contracts.

I consider a comparable as David Clarkson, who's last contract was 3 years/$8 million, or $2.67 million a season. His new 7 year/$36.75 million deal with the Leafs is completely unjustified, but that includes the FA premium and you have to take the team that gave it to him into account as well.

Clifford is way younger and a 2nd round pick too, so he has much more topside than Clarkson ever did.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing, I wouldn't be surprised to see a longer deal actually.

Since he is only 22 and already has 3 NHL years experience he will be a UFA at age 26. The Kings, if they feel he will turn into that Deadmarsh power forward with 20-25+ goal upside in that time, may lock him up an extra year or two past free agency to get him at a bargain.

In that case, the dollars will go up too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thing with Clifford is that his style gets him hurt a lot and these power forwards really only have very small dominant period (I think Brown's might already be over) and Clifford has really not been the same since getting his head buried into the boards in Rd against Vancouver in 2012. Even when he would fight, he would punch recklessly and leave himself open to getting tagged. That is part of his beauty though, as he dropped Polak of St.Louis last year with that style.

He has good speed, good heart, and can make things happen when he is skating, but something has seemed off with him the past 18 months or so. I think he is more hesitant because he keeps getting hurt.

Overall, this offseason (as mentioned earlier) has been pretty lame for Kings fans. If Mitchell can come back and compete at the level he is capable of, that in and of itself makes the Kings a contender with a solid top 4 D again, but if not, we are looking at team that has taken a step back (assuming no young guys emerge as real threats *Cough* Toffoli *Cough*).

Lost Scuderi, Penner, Bernier and only added Scrivens, Fratin, Carcillo. At least these moves free up cap space and will leave LA primed next year when the cap supposedly goes up.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson is a former 30 goal scorer, maybe a fluke but he'll get you 15 a year. Clifford has yet to score 8 in a single season. Clifford is getting maybe 10 minutes a game of playing time, I just don't see him getting that, that's close to Stoll/Williams type money. Thinking we should get the first wager of the season going... :)

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson is a former 30 goal scorer, maybe a fluke but he'll get you 15 a year. Clifford has yet to score 8 in a single season. Clifford is getting maybe 10 minutes a game of playing time, I just don't see him getting that, that's close to Stoll/Williams type money. Thinking we should get the first wager of the season going... :)

Clarkson's 30 goal season was indeed a fluke, but he does a lot of the "little things" well. He's physical, plays tough along the boards and has good hockey sense. I don't think he was worth that contract he got, but it's not his fault Toronto offered it. He's definitely a $3 million player however.

Clifford has spent time on the first two lines in the past, and has shown flashes of being a T6 player. I think it's in him, but he's stalled a little bit. He needs a push to get to that next level and I think the Kings will be able to do it. The way this organization has been restructured since Dumbo took over has turned out plenty of quality NHL players, and Clifford to me is no exception.

He's got more to give and the Kings will give him every opportunity to do so. Some guys don't have it no matter how much support they get (Loktionov), I don't believe Clifford falls into that category. He's got another gear in there, you can see it. I remember his breakaway (?) goal against Nashville, strictly goons don't have those hands.

I'm definitely on for the first season wager. He got 7 in 48 games, which is almost 15 over a full season. What's your idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pointed out Clifford wasn't going to arbitration on page one, lol.

Honestly, i think Nolan and King are on the block. We Basically upgraded them with Frattin and Carcillo.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they took yours as he would be signed before his hearing. IF he had filed. :lol:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, i think Nolan and King are on the block. We Basically upgraded them with Frattin and Carcillo.

Can't win them all. They were part of the machine in 2012 but wrong parts in 2013.

I don't see too much of anything from those two, except Nolan will drop them if need be. I wouldn't like to lose him unless Carcillo takes on that role.

I believe in having a full blown goon on a team, but if they can play a bit that's even better. That's also contingent on the overall make up of the team. The Kings are tough as a team but not nasty. Nolan isn't that good, but he will do anything for his teammates.

Tough call.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carcillo has more upset I think than Nolan. As long as he can play smart (his PIMs were way down last year, only 11 in 24 games) he can be a much better asset on the 4th line.

A 4th line of Clifford-Fraser-Carcillo would be pretty fun to watch.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quenneville is a great coach and I've never seen a coach come off a timeout or between periods with an answer to what they needed. He probably leashed Carcillo, and I think Sutter has the feel for this type of player.

blk4x499

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is going to be tough. I believe we have 2.2 mil left for Clifford and Lewis. I think a dman is going to be dealt to free some space up to atleast sign Clifford and Lewis.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clifford has spent time on the first two lines in the past, and has shown flashes of being a T6 player. I think it's in him, but he's stalled a little bit. He needs a push to get to that next level and I think the Kings will be able to do it. The way this organization has been restructured since Dumbo took over has turned out plenty of quality NHL players, and Clifford to me is no exception.

He's got more to give and the Kings will give him every opportunity to do so. Some guys don't have it no matter how much support they get (Loktionov), I don't believe Clifford falls into that category. He's got another gear in there, you can see it. I remember his breakaway (?) goal against Nashville, strictly goons don't have those hands.

I'm definitely on for the first season wager. He got 7 in 48 games, which is almost 15 over a full season. What's your idea?

No idea, really. Thinking we just go for a "I told you so!" wager. You say 2.75, I say 1.75. Let's set the bar at 2.25. Fair enough?

He may have seen roles in the T6, but that's a product of coaching and injuries. With everyone healthy, he shouldn't be in our top 6. I like Clifford a lot, don't get me wrong, he's a great 3rd liner and I hope we can keep him long-term.

kings90272

Mega Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope one of you win this bet. I have heard several people mention Cliffy getting traded but this is just coming from people I see at the rink. I would hate to see him go.

Bluesince62

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as long as Carcillo punches Torres in the snoot at some point next year, I am happy with the trade. :whistle:

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clifford gets something in the same sense that Lewis just received. Because of the cap situation for this coming year, Deano is a bit strapped. So maybe getting a 1 or 2 year deal that fits under the cap for the immediate timetable, but is resigned/extended at some point during the latter half of the season (probably during the Olympic break) that way the Kings aren't penalized for circumventing the cap.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea, really. Thinking we just go for a "I told you so!" wager. You say 2.75, I say 1.75. Let's set the bar at 2.25. Fair enough?

He may have seen roles in the T6, but that's a product of coaching and injuries. With everyone healthy, he shouldn't be in our top 6. I like Clifford a lot, don't get me wrong, he's a great 3rd liner and I hope we can keep him long-term.

I'll take that bet for sure.

I also think Clifford is T6 material in a few years. Didn't see it his first year, really saw it his second year. He has potential and I think just needs a nudge. Something holds him back, you can see it, and I hope the staff gets him to overcome that something and he realizes he can be a beast.