• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carcillo to the Kings

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clifford gets something in the same sense that Lewis just received. Because of the cap situation for this coming year, Deano is a bit strapped. So maybe getting a 1 or 2 year deal that fits under the cap for the immediate timetable, but is resigned/extended at some point during the latter half of the season (probably during the Olympic break) that way the Kings aren't penalized for circumventing the cap.

The issue with that is by giving him a 1 year deal, he will be eligible for arbitration as soon as next summer at the ripe age of 23.

Arbitration also would be only a 1 or 2 year deal, which means he would be a GII RFA again at age 25 tops, only 1 year away from UFA status (since he broke into the league at 19) and he can file for arbitration yet again at that point. He would want a 1 year deal to a) put pressure on the Kings to sign him for bigger dollars and b) be a very valuable commodity on the open market. Not too many 26 year old UFAs have come through the NHL, and if he pans out that'll be a real bad situation for LA.

Not the way to go at all giving him bridge deals, all that will do is escalate is salary that much more quickly. The way I see it, he has potential, so give him a 4-5 year deal for decent dollars and take some of that UFA status away.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clifford a top 6 forward? :twitch:

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clifford a top 6 forward? :twitch:

Yeah, exactly. To me Clifford is a Raffi Torres type guy minus the dirty play. A tough guy with some skill. Torres is a veteran and still making only $2 million. I just don't see Clifford's ceiling being much higher than a Torres.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, exactly. To me Clifford is a Raffi Torres type guy minus the dirty play. A tough guy with some skill. Torres is a veteran and still making only $2 million. I just don't see Clifford's ceiling being much higher than a Torres.

Would you consider David Clarkson a T6 forward? I sure as s**t wouldn't, especially after one fluke year where he scored 30. Keep in mind that offensive dynamo known as Steve Downie once scored 22 goals as well, only to become Steve Downie again.

Clarkson cashed in on UFA and Toronto was stupid to pay that contract, but indirectly UFA salaries affect RFA salaries. The Kings were in the ballpark with Blake offering $8 million per season as a pending GIII UFA until during his negotiation RFA Chris Pronger signed his 3 year/$29.5 million deal back in 2000/2001. Immediately Blake's demands increased and subsequently he was traded.

Clarkson is an older Clifford IMO, so I think Clifford's agent is saying in order to get Clifford to the point in the future where Clarkson is now financially, there needs to be an escalated salary scale.

I'm not saying Clifford will be a T6 forward now, but I think he has the potential to score 20 goals. He's got good hands for a tough guy - surprisingly -, plays physical and is a character guy. Add those intangibles in, and then take into account how Dumbo loves to pay for character (sometimes overpayment) and I can easily see Clifford getting a much better deal than you feel he deserves.

Last edited by a moderator: