• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buyout Period / Cap Central 2013

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see Gagne or Mez back next season. I see them dealing Mez Put Oscar in the top 6

I thought Gagne did a pretty decent jopb last year and if he accepts less money to come back like he said he would i wouldnt mind unless we have a better plan.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bartulis was bought out last summer, they just have a cap penalty for it still

edit: also, how do you replace mesz? the D is somewhat thin as it is. i hope bourdon can come back though, if he can come back and play like he did, i dont mind losing mesz

Sorrry I didnt mean Bartulis
I was talking about Laurensden(sp)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorrry I didnt mean Bartulis
I was talking about Laurensden(sp)

ah right, i actually forgot about him.. i wouldn't hate a gus/lauridsen 3rd pair.. problem is, getting rid of mesz will be quite difficult, he doesn't have much value since he's always hurt, and a 4 mil cap hit is pretty large.. he might have to be a salary dump type trade

The Laurd shall bless us next season :laugh3:

:10:

step 1: print t-shirts
step 2: profit.

Slayer31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...but how does Pronger's salary work? Due to his status, doesn't it get deleted as they go over the cap? Is there a limit on how much gets deleted?

Also, was this a swipe at Pronger?
(((regardless, trading what amounts to 3 first round draft picks for an ancient dman will fuck you.)))

Cuz IMO, he and the team were (are) victims of a career ending injury that no one could have predicted. It's not like he had a long history of prolonged absences due to groin problems, back issues, etc, and we all knew he was one hit away from his last shift... IMO, at the time of his injury, he was still one of the very very few (and elite) puck moving defensemen (who just happened to also be universally feared by anyone standing in the slot) in the league...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the kings are an interesting team to keep an eye on too.. they need to sign 3 forwards and 4 dmen and only have 13 mil in cap space to do it.. voynov, ellerby, and muzzin are all RFA.. i'd love to get voynov or muzzin if possible

bernier is also RFA, i think his rights get moved at the draft this year.. i'd be ok with a bernier/mason duo.. trading for his rights shouldn't take a ton i wouldn't think.. so few teams looking for goaltenders.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...but how does Pronger's salary work? Due to his status, doesn't it get deleted as they go over the cap? Is there a limit on how much gets deleted?

(((regardless, trading what amounts to 3 first round draft picks for an ancient dman will fuck you.)))

Cuz IMO, he and the team were (are) victims of a career ending injury that no one could have predicted. It's not like he had a long history of prolonged absences due to groin problems, back issues, etc, and we all knew he was one hit away from his last shift... IMO, at the time of his injury, he was still one of the very very few (and elite) puck moving defensemen (who just happened to also be universally feared by anyone standing in the slot) in the league...

mm you're new here :)

i HATED the pronger trade. loathed the pronger extension, and thought he was very over rated as a flyer. he was good offensively, and a good leader, but defensively i thought he was mediocre at best. there's nothing in recent flyers history that pissed me off more than 'he got them to the cup', because i think briere (30pts in 23 games), giroux (21 pts in 23 games), and leino (21 pts in 19 games) would have a lot to say about that.

as for the injury being unfortunate, it absolutely is and i feel bad for the guy. i hope he recovers and can live a normal life eventually. but that contract is still AWFUL. they signed a 35 yr old bone-jarring dman to a 7 year contract at 5 mil per year. a contract that they (at the time) had absolutely no way out of. even if he does stay healthy, he was half the player he was in his first couple years as a flyer, what can you really expect from him 2 years older? if he had played this year, i'd be willing to bet he would be the scape-goat, cap killer, and the one everybody was clamoring to buy out.

giving up sbisa (18th overall pick), 1st in 2009 (emerson etem), 1st in 2010 (john moore), and lupul was a MASSIVE overpayment for the pronger the flyers got. sbisa is playing top 4 in anaheim, moore is playing top 4 in NYR (and has looked awesome in the playoffs), lupul has been very productive in toronto, and etem is a top 6 winger in anaheim. the flyers may not, and probably would not, have picked moore or etem, but those are still valuable draft picks that could have been impact players on ELC's, which is the key to having a cup-caliber, cap-compliant hockey team

everyone points to the bob trade, richards and carter trades, and the bryz signing as possible reasons the flyers missed the playoffs and are still in cap hell. the reason the flyers are in cap hell is the combination of the pronger trade and subsequent re-signing, and that wouldn't change even if he were playing.

/now you're up to date on my pronger hate :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

as for the first part of your comment, since pronger was 35+ when he signed his contract, his cap hit stays on the cap even if he retires. which is probably part of why he hasn't yet. and since he is injured, the flyers cannot buy him out. so the flyers will have that 4.9 mil cap hit on the books for 4 more years (pronger @ 42). they use the LTIR allowance on him, which allows the team to exceed the cap by 4.9 mil.

however, pronger being on LTIR does not remove that number. the cap is calculated daily, and money that you 'save' under the cap is pooled and can be used later in the season. that's why teams like pittsburgh can afford to bring in iginla and morrow, who aren't cheap, at the trade deadline. they have banked that money and can use it to pay them the portion that is left on their contract for the year. un-used LTIR space does NOT get banked. so if the flyers only use 1 mil of pronger's LTIR allowance, they do not bank the 3.9 equivalent.

he also takes up a roster spot (50 allowable, minor leagues included), which the flyers always seem to be right at.

there is no limit to how long, how much, or how many players you can have on LTIR. i think the flyers had pronger, mesz, coburn, and talbot on LTIR at some point this season.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Awaz was against the trade for pronger from the very beginning he is still in denial that pronger took us to the cup and we havent been able to come close to replacing his defensive play and his power play presence. Maybe some day he will come to grips hahahahaha!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awaz was against the trade for pronger from the very beginning he is still in denial that pronger took us to the cup and we havent been able to come close to replacing his defensive play and his power play presence. Maybe some day he will come to grips hahahahaha!

:nod:

:rollseyes:

:hellno:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are we going to do with the money when Briere and Bryz get cut this summer?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are we going to do with the money when Briere and Bryz get cut this summer?

there really isn't that much money to play with.. you save 12 off the cap, but it's going down 6 mil and you gotta replace both of them and fill out the roster still.. see below

and for those who think we'll have a ton of space with a briere AND bryz buyout.. here's what i've got

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($2.000m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) / Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Adam Hall ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.100m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
Evgeni Nabokov ($2.000m)

OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
Buyout: Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,608,095; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster):- $508,095

that dips 500k in to pronger's LTIR which i'm guessing the flyers will NOT want to do right off the bat. you might be able to save around a total of 1 mil off the gange/gus/nabakov deals.

to be completely honest, the flyers may not have a choice. they might HAVE to buy out both players.

so everyone can play:
Philadelphia Flyers Salary Cap Calculator

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there really isn't that much money to play with.. you save 12 off the cap, but it's going down 6 mil and you gotta replace both of them and fill out the roster still.. see below

I could almost swear prior to last season you had all of these plans to make our team better this summer and i was like ok that sounds good. you even backed those plans up with capgeek numbers. what the hell happened to all those good plans you had?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could almost swear prior to last season you had all of these plans to make our team better this summer and i was like ok that sounds good. you even backed those plans up with capgeek numbers. what the hell happened to all those good plans you had?

homer didn't cooperate :lol:

Slayer31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as for the first part of your comment, since pronger was 35+ when he signed his contract, his cap hit stays on the cap even if he retires. which is probably part of why he hasn't yet. and since he is injured, the flyers cannot buy him out. so the flyers will have that 4.9 mil cap hit on the books for 4 more years (pronger @ 42). they use the LTIR allowance on him, which allows the team to exceed the cap by 4.9 mil.

however, pronger being on LTIR does not remove that number. the cap is calculated daily, and money that you 'save' under the cap is pooled and can be used later in the season. that's why teams like pittsburgh can afford to bring in iginla and morrow, who aren't cheap, at the trade deadline. they have banked that money and can use it to pay them the portion that is left on their contract for the year. un-used LTIR space does NOT get banked. so if the flyers only use 1 mil of pronger's LTIR allowance, they do not bank the 3.9 equivalent.

he also takes up a roster spot (50 allowable, minor leagues included), which the flyers always seem to be right at.

there is no limit to how long, how much, or how many players you can have on LTIR. i think the flyers had pronger, mesz, coburn, and talbot on LTIR at some point this season.

Thanks for the LTIR cap hit explanation; makes sense, and given that you explained it so well, maybe now I won't change my avatar to a pic of Pronger holding the Cup!

Given that though, I'm a little surprised our beloved Owner Mr Burns Snider didn't lobby for some sort of special one-time buyout (similar to what we've discussed to death for Briere and Bryz) as the new CBA was being inked... or perhaps he did but failed...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the LTIR cap hit explanation; makes sense, and given that you explained it so well, maybe now I won't change my avatar to a pic of Pronger holding the Cup!

Given that though, I'm a little surprised our beloved Owner Mr Burns Snider didn't lobby for some sort of special one-time buyout (similar to what we've discussed to death for Briere and Bryz) as the new CBA was being inked... or perhaps he did but failed...

haha, it's my one very different, and frequently hated, opinion :)

i'm actually kinda surprised they didn't work something in about that. it's really just a shitty situation for everyone involved. but i guess they're punishing the flyers for signing such a risky contract.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth i liked your ideas better. :suds:

haha thanks buddy.. its fun stuff to think about to pass the time at work!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3