• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns > Raiders

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland has the better Coach and IMO it is not even close

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always think of the Browns as the last neck to step on before the Broncos go to the Super Bowl.

I would love for them to have a better season than the Raiders - for multiple reasons. I do think the Raiders have two advantages at the moment - better talent - and a 1 year head start on organizing around the HC's principles. I would hire Hue Jackson over JDR - no question. It will be interesting to see if better coaching is enough to make up for the other deficiencies in just the 2016 season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a huge Hue Jackson fan. As already said he was one of the few that made the Raiders look competent during this bad stretch in their history. I also like what Cleveland has done to really rebuild from the ground up. They are still a year or two away though unless RGIII somehow recaptures his rookie year magic. They are just going to be depending on too many inexperienced players to contribute to really find consistent success this year. I do think they will be a tough out in many games though.

Also I do think the Browns will be an interesting study case. They said they pretty much relied on some football analytics to dictate their board. To me you can't completely go that way because college is such a diverse group of teams that can manipulate the numbers. Throw in then that only takes into the equation performance on the field compared to also adding in leadership, potential for improvement, and character.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a huge Hue Jackson fan. As already said he was one of the few that made the Raiders look competent during this bad stretch in their history. I also like what Cleveland has done to really rebuild from the ground up. They are still a year or two away though unless RGIII somehow recaptures his rookie year magic. They are just going to be depending on too many inexperienced players to contribute to really find consistent success this year. I do think they will be a tough out in many games though.

Also I do think the Browns will be an interesting study case. They said they pretty much relied on some football analytics to dictate their board. To me you can't completely go that way because college is such a diverse group of teams that can manipulate the numbers. Throw in then that only takes into the equation performance on the field compared to also adding in leadership, potential for improvement, and character.

It will be interesting to see how that approach works in the NFL. It is a big gamble based on the immense jump in the skill and speed from college to the NFL. But I think the Browns drafted this year with 2-3 years out in mind. You don't draft 5 WRs because you believe 5 roockie WRs are going to make the difference between a sub .500 season and a playoff berth in 2016. You do so to grow (ideally) at least two top-tier weapons to go with the rookie QB you drafted. This is a classic rebuild, and the approach is different than many of the previous rebuilds the Browns have attempted. It will definitely be interesting to see if the results are any different.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how that approach works in the NFL. It is a big gamble based on the immense jump in the skill and speed from college to the NFL. But I think the Browns drafted this year with 2-3 years out in mind. You don't draft 5 WRs because you believe 5 roockie WRs are going to make the difference between a sub .500 season and a playoff berth in 2016. You do so to grow (ideally) at least two top-tier weapons to go with the rookie QB you drafted. This is a classic rebuild, and the approach is different than many of the previous rebuilds the Browns have attempted. It will definitely be interesting to see if the results are any different.
Yeah,normally when a team with a ton of picks drafts 5 wrs and they have a lot of needs, you think " what the bell ? " but Cleveland was is in serious hurt at that position especially losing Benjamin too. That said, even if three of them pan out, they still need a good qb to get them the ball. I think McNown still wins the job and not so sure that's going to be much help in the passing game no matter who's catching balls for them.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah,normally when a team with a ton of picks drafts 5 wrs and they have a lot of needs, you think " what the bell ? " but Cleveland was is in serious hurt at that position especially losing Benjamin too. That said, even if three of them pan out, they still need a good qb to get them the ball. I think McNown still wins the job and not so sure that's going to be much help in the passing game no matter who's catching balls for them.

At the same time can you really blame them for passing on the top-2 QB's in this draft? I mean I think they could be decent QB's but I don't really see a I MUST DRAFT THEM! type QB in Goff and Wentz. I see them as developmental projects. So if the Browns didn't see those guys as the QB for the next say 10 years of the franchise I don't blame them for trading down and getting a nice haul of draft picks for this year and next year. I mean the Browns are going to be able to do whatever they want next year. Small chance they actually own possibly 2 top-10 picks next season.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same time can you really blame them for passing on the top-2 QB's in this draft? I mean I think they could be decent QB's but I don't really see a I MUST DRAFT THEM! type QB in Goff and Wentz. I see them as developmental projects. So if the Browns didn't see those guys as the QB for the next say 10 years of the franchise I don't blame them for trading down and getting a nice haul of draft picks for this year and next year. I mean the Browns are going to be able to do whatever they want next year. Small chance they actually own possibly 2 top-10 picks next season.
Absolutely not blame them for not taking one of those qbs. With the big question marks on both and their track record with qbs, they made the right decision getting all those pks to fill a bunch of other needs, roll with RG and McNown,etc, developed some wr talent and maybe they get their qb next year or year after. I think they realise that the qbs currently on roster are just stop gap for most part and might as well be smart and build around the qb of future and hopefully he's right around the corner or maybe on roster now?

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al Davis went senile and pissed away draft picks, and when he did make some picks they were worthless.
Its taken years for the Raiders to recover and this year they will sweep and humiliate the Broncos.
I didn't realize the Raiders replaced Del Rio already......

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize the Raiders replaced Del Rio already......

You would think after hiring our last DC and that going up in a ball of flames that they wouldn't make the same mistake but what do they do "hey the Broncos DC sounds like a good idea!" Raiders doing what the Raiders seem to like to do since 1983 and that is continue to live in mediocrity.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think after hiring our last DC and that going up in a ball of flames that they wouldn't make the same mistake but what do they do "hey the Broncos DC sounds like a good idea!" Raiders doing what the Raiders seem to like to do since 1983 and that is continue to live in mediocrity.
He had a good amount of talent to work with in Jax and didn't quite coach them to their full potential. I sense something similar brewing in Oakland (or Los Angles, or San Antonio, or Las Vegas, or wherever the heck they end up.)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a good amount of talent to work with in Jax and didn't quite coach them to their full potential. I sense something similar brewing in Oakland (or Los Angles, or San Antonio, or Las Vegas, or wherever the heck they end up.)

I agree. I think many of us have said this about our last coaching staff. Fox and Del Rio to me fit this mold pretty good especially for a defensive minded group. They can coach an average defense to look good and they can coach a legendary defense to look good. They just don't have that next notch in ability to really have their coaching decisions go out and be why we won the game. They are not going to do a bunch to destroy a team either but they will continue to live in that mediocrity level. Del Rio is the single biggest reason I don't see the Raiders making the playoffs this year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wild card here is - just how good Derek Carr will become. Even JDR can catch some wind behind his sails if he had a top QB.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All time favorite Brown player as a kid!

Hanford Dixon.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wild card here is - just how good Derek Carr will become. Even JDR can catch some wind behind his sails if he had a top QB.

You are right that is the wildcard. If Carr can continue to grow as a QB it definitely covers up a lot of problems both coaching and roster wise. I mean we watched Peyton Manning make some pretty bad Colts rosters look actually pretty darn good until they ran into better teams that could take away Peyton and pretty much dare anybody else on the Colts to beat them. For me though I still feel that Carr is maybe going to see his career end up in that being a top-10 to 15 type QB. I don't see him consistently being that top-10 QB. In fact last year as teams got more film on the new system with their new Coordinator it seemed like Carr just really fell off the map. In the first 8 games of the year last year he had a 96 or higher QB rating in 5 of the 8 games. In the final 8 games he had 1. In fact he had 6 of the 8 games with a QB rating below 80. So I think some teams started figuring out what they were wanting to do and started taking those choices away.