• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blow It Up!!!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it has to be in the Top 7 or it is lost. The way the Warriors are playing, they will be JUST good enough to lose that pick. Coincidentally, the Warriors currently have the eighth-worst record in the NBA. Assuming that even one of the lottery teams gets a lucky bounce of the balls, the Warriors would fall to the ninth overall pick, which would then go to Utah (via New Jersey).

And we all know that if this team stays mostly intact, they will miss the playoffs yet again. But the Ws will go on one of their patented late-season runs where they win a whole bunch of meaningless games to end the season. That streak will serve to get management fired up about the team's "potential", it will push them further up the standings, it will get this message board illogically excited about the 2012-2013 season, and it will cost the team its first round draft pick, which will harm the Warriors in the short term and in the long run.

It is the Warrior way.

LOL.

And I'm laughing because that's exactly what's gonna happen.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the following expiring contracts:

Kwame Brown - 6.75M
Brandon Rush - 3M
Earl Barron - 1M
Nate Robinson, Dominic McGuire, Chris Wright - 2M

I believe David Lee's contract escalates which will cut some of that room. They will have some money to spend, but it depends on whether or not they resign/match Rush(restricted), so I don't believe they'll have any real cap space to make a run at any of the bigger names out there.

We're at about $60.8MM this year, with $4MM amnestied. Next year, we are on the books for $46.6MM (50.7 if we make a qualifying offer to Rush) with 7 (8) guys under contract. Avi goes from $11.6MM this year to $12.7MM next year. The gift that keeps on giving.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're at about $60.8MM this year, with $4MM amnestied. Next year, we are on the books for $46.6MM (50.7 if we make a qualifying offer to Rush) with 7 (8) guys under contract. Avi goes from $11.6MM this year to $12.7MM next year. The gift that keeps on giving.

Is Beans off the books after next season?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh jeez! Every time I try to look I get depressed. When does it get better?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2013 NBA Free Agents | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

According to that url, there is an Early Termination Option for him and Monta, and Steph and Ekpe are Restricted Free Agents. It seems the only major impact unrestricted free agent in that class is Josh Smith. Maybe Manu.

Both of the options are player options. Monta MIGHT opt out after the 2012-2013 season, but unless he has a multi-year guarantee from someone (teams cannot talk to players under contact, but you know it happens).

Biedrins is NEVER going to get that kind of money again, so he will exercise his option and collect every last penny of that $9 mil.

Rush's option will come after this season. I don't see Golden State offering Rush $4.1 mil. His court time will likely go to Klay Thompson. With Dorell Wright back as well, Rush is not required.

Earl Barron's contract is not guaranteed, and hge has played so infrequently that I have no doubt that he will be cut before his contract becomes guaranteed. The Warriors will not gain any cap space from him at the end of the season.

Golden State will have enough cash to land one prominent FA, but I highly doubt that they will get one because the roster is so bare of complementary parts.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the winning their way out of the first round pick continues, despite Steph and Monta playing horribly. This team is making me a hockey fan.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Beans off the books after next season?

He's due $9MM this season, next season, and he's got a player option for $9MM in 13/14. Trade Monta to any team that will take Beans with him.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's due $9MM this season, next season, and he's got a player option for $9MM in 13/14. Trade Monta to any team that will take Beans with him.

You'd probably have a better chance at trading Curry and having a team take Beins with that deal.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd probably have a better chance at trading Curry and having a team take Beins with that deal.

Gotta save Curry for someone who will take Avi off our hands.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a team that is competing would gladly take Lee. His game can be helpful to a team in the playoff hunt, think the Spurs or the Bucks.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a team that is competing would gladly take Lee. His game can be helpful to a team in the playoff hunt, think the Spurs or the Bucks.

Agreed, but I think it's safe to assume that any team trading anything significant for Lee would want another inexpensive asset to offset the enormity of Avi's contract.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I highly doubt that the San Antonio Spurs are going to want _avi_ Lee. The very thing that has made the Spurs so good for so long is the one thing that Lee does not have - defensive intensity. Add in his bloated contract and it becomes even more difficult to see _avi_ playing for Coach Pop.

Milwaukee is a different story. With Bogut down for the count, they can use some more scoring in the paint. _avi_ definitely provides that. The problem now is finding a way to make a deal. The biggest asset the Bucks have to trade is Stephen Jackson. How many people here think StackJack is going to willingly don a Warriors jersey again? Me either.

Plus, the biggest asset the Warriors have to convince some team to take _avi_ is Curry and the Bucks already have Brandon Jennings in the backcourt. They don't need Steph.

Finally, Bogut's injury is not career-threatening, so what Milwaukee needs more than anything is a short-term fix. _avi_ is a lot of things, but a short-term fix he is not. When Bogut comes back, they would have Bogut, Lee, Gooden, Ilyasova and Mbah a Moute all looking for minutes.

Gooden and Bogut alone will account for most of the PF-C minutes. the tandem of Bogut, _avi_ and Gooden would put a dent into everyone's happiness.

Honestly, I think the Warriors need to get lucky to lose _avi_ and his albatross. What needs to happen is a team like New Jersey, which is emptying its payroll to make a run at Dwight Howard, needs to lose out on the prize free agent they are hoping for. Then they need to get desperate.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but I think it's safe to assume that any team trading anything significant for Lee would want another inexpensive asset to offset the enormity of Avi's contract.

This. And probably willing to give up a late first rounder in the mix if we take back a bad expiring.

Here's one possibility:

To BOS: Curry, Avi
To GS: Allen, Bass, 2012 First Round Pick

To MIL: Monta, Beans
To GS: Jackson (!), Delfino, Ilyasova, 2012 First Round Pick

GS 2012/13 roster:

Wright SF -- $4.1MM
Udoh PF -- $3.52MM
Rush SG -- $4.09MM qualifying offer (we could decline)
Thompson SG -- $2.29MM
Tyler C -- ~$0.8MM
Jenkins PG -- ~$0.8MM
Bass PF -- 4.0MM player option (he could opt out)
Jackson SG -- 10.06MM

3 First round picks, one of which would be top 7 (or two first round picks if we give one to Utah), a second round pick.

Top 7 pick -- $2 to 3.5MM
Midround pick -- ~$1.0MM
Late pick -- ~$0.8MM
Second round pick ~$0.8MM

Total $26.17 to $35.76MM, depending upon where that top pick falls, whether we extend an offer to Rush, and whether Bass opts out.

The 2012/13 lux tax threshold will be approx $70MM...so we'd have 3 open spots and anywhere from $34 to $44MM to spend on FA.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man we looked good last night. Maybe this whole blow up thing is being blown out of proportion? Maybe we could just.... who am I kidding, we all knew that we'd play just well enough to miss out on our lottery pick.

This team shouldn't play with fan's emotions like this, that was a well played game last night. They looked like they could run with anybody.

:focus:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. And probably willing to give up a late first rounder in the mix if we take back a bad expiring.

Here's one possibility:

To BOS: Curry, Avi
To GS: Allen, Bass, 2012 First Round Pick

To MIL: Monta, Beans
To GS: Jackson (!), Delfino, Ilyasova, 2012 First Round Pick

GS 2012/13 roster:

Wright SF -- $4.1MM
Udoh PF -- $3.52MM
Rush SG -- $4.09MM qualifying offer (we could decline)
Thompson SG -- $2.29MM
Tyler C -- ~$0.8MM
Jenkins PG -- ~$0.8MM
Bass PF -- 4.0MM player option (he could opt out)
Jackson SG -- 10.06MM

3 First round picks, one of which would be top 7 (or two first round picks if we give one to Utah), a second round pick.

Top 7 pick -- $2 to 3.5MM
Midround pick -- ~$1.0MM
Late pick -- ~$0.8MM
Second round pick ~$0.8MM

Total $26.17 to $35.76MM, depending upon where that top pick falls, whether we extend an offer to Rush, and whether Bass opts out.

The 2012/13 lux tax threshold will be approx $70MM...so we'd have 3 open spots and anywhere from $34 to $44MM to spend on FA.

I like it, where do we sign?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man we looked good last night. Maybe this whole blow up thing is being blown out of proportion? Maybe we could just.... who am I kidding, we all knew that we'd play just well enough to miss out on our lottery pick.

This team shouldn't play with fan's emotions like this, that was a well played game last night. They looked like they could run with anybody.

:focus:

What amazed me the most about the game against Utah was that they were so aggressive on the offensive boards. One sequence of events in particular stood out to me.

With about 5:30 to go in the third, Monta stole a pass and took it the other way. He dished off to Rush, who threw cross-court to Monta for a wide open 3. Monta's shot bounced off the back rim. David Lee rebounded and tossed the ball out to Curry, who tossed up a 3 of his own. Steph missed and Lee got the board. He took the ball out a few steps and tried t a put-back, which also missed. Monta, who had worked his way down low, somehow came away with the board. Monta dished out to Rush who missed the 3-ball as well before Utah finally came away with the rebound.

Even though Golden State didn't score on that possession, the fact that they had 4 chances and 3 offensive rebounds was amazing. There are times when the Warriors don't get 3 offensive boards in an entire quarter. It just shows that the guys in the Golden State uniform have talent and ability. They just cannot ever put it together for long enough stretches to make a difference.