• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: AZ @ Stanford

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who hit that bs halfcourt shot vs UA it was like 10 years ago to win? Stanford got exposed in the tourney that year.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Undefeated seasons are best left to the historians. Talking about it during the regular season is a bit counterproductive. We as fans think; "it probably would take the pressure off the team if they lost", but the reality is, it just depends on the individuals on the roster, and how they handle things on and off the court. Some individuals in this world play/work better under pressure than they do in a vacuum. Most of the players on this year's roster came to the UofA because they wanted to be challenged, they wanted the pressure. Now that they have the bullseye of being #1 and undefeated they can truly measure themselves as individuals and as a team.

Me, I don't care if they lose a game, or if they go undefeated, but you can damn well be sure that if they did go undefeated in conference we would remember it forever.

As far as the Pac12 tourney goes, it's the same situation, there is no black and white, only grey. If they play 3 tough games in 3 days, down to the wire, with the starters playing heavy minutes and wear them out before the NCAAs? That would be bad... but if they have a couple of 15-20 point wins followed by one tough game? That is different.

Obviously the Pac12 tournament title is meaningless for a team that is projected to be a #1 seed, but IMO you play to win every game, no matter what. If you lose, then you tip your cap to your opponent and move on to the next one, but you shouldn't ever hope/expect a loss, that is the wrong type of perspective to take in a competitive sport/job.

Sure, I'm not saying that they should aim to lose, but as a fan, I think it would be better. I just think that if these guys get to the FF, it will obviously be the peak of pressure. I think they can handle that, and I look forward to them focusing and blocking it all out. But if they were 38-0 going into the FF, I just think it will be a media circus. And that's all anyone would want to talk about. And given that it's the FF and they would have to face the media so often, I could just see it fucking with them too much. They are still 18-22. I just want them to focus on every game. It's already difficult to do when you get deep into March, but it's part of the game that they need to accept. But being undefeated going into the final weekend is just ridiculous. It's one thing to be the compared to the best AZ teams in history, or to be #1, or to go undefeated in the Pac, or to get an overall #1 seed, or to be the favorite. But to have all of that, and then also have the pressure of being the first undefeated team in 38 years, and the only one in modern basketball history?? I'd love to see it, but I don't want them to pay for the pressure by losing in the FF, if they would play better if that overwhelming pressure wasn't there. I just want the NC. I guess my point is that I'd rather them go 39-1 with a NC than 39-1 and lose in the NC. To me, and all of us, NC is the prize.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you CTP, and logically, it all makes sense, but again, I think that it all just depends on the team's leaders and how they handle pressure. Guys like Nick Johnson, and Brandon Ashley, for instance, have played for national titles as the heavy favorites before and have come up big in those moments.

It just depends on how the leaders of the team handle the pressure, because they will settle down the rest of the squad in real-time. I guess what I'm really saying is... talk about being undefeated and playing in the Final Four is premature. It's "coach-speak" to talk about playing "one-game-at-a-time", but that is based upon a simple philosophy dating back 1000s of years: Live in the moment. Do not worry about what will happen in the future, or what has happened in the past, focus on the present.

The present is Stanford, 3 days from now it will be Cal. Plenty of games to be played. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you CTP, and logically, it all makes sense, but again, I think that it all just depends on the team's leaders and how they handle pressure. Guys like Nick Johnson, and Brandon Ashley, for instance, have played for national titles as the heavy favorites before and have come up big in those moments.

It just depends on how the leaders of the team handle the pressure, because they will settle down the rest of the squad in real-time. I guess what I'm really saying is... talk about being undefeated and playing in the Final Four is premature. It's "coach-speak" to talk about playing "one-game-at-a-time", but that is based upon a simple philosophy dating back 1000s of years: Live in the moment. Do not worry about what will happen in the future, or what has happened in the past, focus on the present.

The present is Stanford, 3 days from now it will be Cal. Plenty of games to be played. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

But we're fans, GS!!!!!!! This is what we do!! I completely agree. As far as they are concerned, 10000000%, only worry about what is directly in front of you. But as fans, we have the luxury to look ahead. Players aren't going to speculate about how they do in the pac, that's for the fans to do. Hahaha, and we do! Undefeated heading into the FF is crazy, no doubt. I just think that losing before we get to the tourney is more conducive toward winning it all, than to have to worry about going 39-0 and having 38 years rest on their shoulders. As a fan, Id just rather have them look to what is right in front. I think they have the best shot to do so if they don't have to worry about an undefeated season. But you are definitely right, I don't want to short-change how they would react to that situation.

And ultimately, it is so far away. We are talking about 2 months away, and we still have to get there first. If that is the case, we are only halfway there. So tonight is fine with me. But I do like to speculate. I don't have to do shit to make it happen!!

Heading out for a birthday dinner, so I will miss the first half. I'll try to get home before it's too far into the 2nd half. BTFD!!!!!!!!!
:suds:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could Salene just walk into that triple team?

Because he was a poor ball-handler and a terrible decision maker. The only thing most UofA fans remember about Salim is that he was one of the best shooters in NCAA history... which he was, but only one year (JR) that he was at the UofA did he average more assists than turnovers.

In fact, my dad, who has had season tickets since before McKale was built, and has been following college basketball for 50 years? He hates Salim Stoudamire, thinks he was one of the worst guards to play at the UofA.

Sometimes it's not what a player does when he is in the spotlight that counts, but rather what they do the rest of the time. Salim was a great shooter, but he was not very good defensive player and made poor decisions with the ball more often than not.... which is why he has never made it in the pros.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember watching the Uofa vs Illinois game I think it was 05? His defense was such a liability while I remembered he went off in the 1st half of that game, his defense was just horrid..... But when he got hot I remember he could carry UA by just offense alone...... But his defense and turnovers killed UAs chances of a natty that year....

Even though he could light it up... But I remember the first game I thought I was gonna witness with Asu beating UA but he hit that clutch jumper that shot was a dagger to my heart but....... He was exciting man. Him and also Hasan Adams..

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that team was fun to watch, and they were limited by their guard-play, which is why they lost to Illinois who had the best backcourt in the country that season.

Hassan Adams was great fun to watch and Channing Frye was solid, although he played mostly in the post back then, instead of the 3 point shooter that he is today.

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well well well. Surprisingly! The game before UA is tied at 39 at half time. So....what do you think?Overtime or no?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well well well. Surprisingly! The game before UA is tied at 39 at half time. So....what do you think?Overtime or no?

99.9% of the games on ESPN before UofA tips go into overtime... so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

nogicat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Walton again?
Fuck you ESPN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Walton again?
Fuck you ESPN

haha, is it really Walton again? It seems like if Walton does 10 games in a season, 5 of them are UofA games.

I wonder if he has that written into his contract: Must piss off as many Wildcat fans as possible.

nogicat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha, is it really Walton again? It seems like if Walton does 10 games in a season, 5 of them are UofA games.

I wonder if he has that written into his contract: Must piss off as many Wildcat fans as possible.

Yup Dave Pasch tweeted about calling the Stanford game with Walton
Thats who I really feel bad for
He has to be around him on a daily basis
Jesus Christ God Bless him

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree. If I had a vote, Pasch would be my broadcaster of the year... every year that he has Big Red as his partner. Nobody has a more difficult job in broadcasting than he does.

nogicat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My call on this one:
Arizona 72
Stanford 64

Very tight first half Stanford gets the lead in the second briefly but Arizona wears them down and has the late game experience. They pull this one out

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gametime. Come out strong from the tip, keep Stanford off the boards, limit turnovers and this will be another W.

nogicat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright lets do this shit

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Walton is the best. Not sure what you look for in a broadcaster, but I want one that is entertaining and doesn't try to spew his (almost always) incorrect and awful insights about the game of basketball. Rarely do they have anything interesting to say, so why not have somebody who is hilarious and doesn't try to analyze the game too much?

Walton? YES PLEASE

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and also BEAR THE FUCK DOWN