• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: AZ @ Stanford

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely don't expect a loss. But... won't be shocked (or, to be honest, terribly upset) if it happens.

The Utah performance only solidifies my expectation for a win, because this team has never put together back-to-back poor performances.

There's an argument that a loss at some point in the next few weeks could actually be a good thing. That said, I'll keep rooting for and expecting wins!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely don't expect a loss. But... won't be shocked (or, to be honest, terribly upset) if it happens.

The Utah performance only solidifies my expectation for a win, because this team has never put together back-to-back poor performances.

There's an argument that a loss at some point in the next few weeks could actually be a good thing. That said, I'll keep rooting for and expecting wins!

See this is the type of comment I'm referring to. I keep hearing people say they won't be upset if we lose this weekend, just as you mentioned. I take that as a form of accepting a future lose (and yes I was a psych major haha). Also, I don't quite understand why a loss in the next few weeks is a good thing. Can we learn from a loss? Yes absolutely, but I think more important is how lose. Is it because we were lazy and flat footed or simply got beat by a team that wanted it more than night, which I can accept. It all depends.

To me, saying "I won't be upset if we lose this week" or "a loss is a good thing" is essentially expecting a loss but if you ask me, I think we sweep the Bay Area kids.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this is the type of comment I'm referring to. I keep hearing people say they won't be upset if we lose this weekend, just as you mentioned. I take that as a form of accepting a future lose (and yes I was a psych major haha). Also, I don't quite understand why a loss in the next few weeks is a good thing. Can we learn from a loss? Yes absolutely, but I think more important is how lose. Is it because we were lazy and flat footed or simply got beat by a team that wanted it more than night, which I can accept. It all depends.

To me, saying "I won't be upset if we lose this week" or "a loss is a good thing" is essentially expecting a loss but if you ask me, I think we sweep the Bay Area kids.

I hear ya. My thing is I worry about the scrutiny and exposure and constant questions from the media that would undoubtedly accompany a team that is still undefeated deep into the season heading into the tourney.

But... whatever worry I have about that would certainly be overshadowed by how fucking awesome it would be to see the buzz and watch Zona try to pull off something historic.

Getting way ahead of everything here, though, LOTS of games left to be played.

Maybe saying I wouldn't be upset is going a little too far, and it definitely depends on how they play. I will never root for Zona to lose and I will never be happy when they do... just think there would be a silver lining in this case.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. My thing is I worry about the scrutiny and exposure and constant questions from the media that would undoubtedly accompany a team that is still undefeated deep into the season heading into the tourney.

But... whatever worry I have about that would certainly be overshadowed by how fucking awesome it would be to see the buzz and watch Zona try to pull off something historic.

Getting way ahead of everything here, though, LOTS of games left to be played.

Maybe saying I wouldn't be upset is going a little too far, and it definitely depends on how they play. I will never root for Zona to lose and I will never be happy when they do... just think there would be a silver lining in this case.

you'll be pissed, just like all of us, if/when we lose our first game. We are better than every team we play, and we are battle tested on the road, thus there isn't a game we could lose that wouldn't piss me the fuck off.

BTFD we got this Bay Area Sweep starting tonight!

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than 4 hours.

I'm thinking that Utah game might've helped our guys be ready for this game. They faced several different zone defense looks, and looked lost, but they'll be more prepared this time.

You've got to think Dawkins is gonna go with a ton of zone defense, right? That's how they shut down uconn in the 2nd half and got their biggest win of the year.

We could use some timely shooting from Gabe, TJ, and Nick, but more importantly, we need another big performance on the offensive glass from our bigs.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than 4 hours.

I'm thinking that Utah game might've helped our guys be ready for this game. They faced several different zone defense looks, and looked lost, but they'll be more prepared this time.

You've got to think Dawkins is gonna go with a ton of zone defense, right? That's how they shut down uconn in the 2nd half and got their biggest win of the year.

We could use some timely shooting from Gabe, TJ, and Nick, but more importantly, we need another big performance on the offensive glass from our bigs.

Should be a great game. They have the size on their side and should make for an interesting match up down low. Btw, has anyone seen the video that Stanford put out recently trying to poke fun at us and generate interest in the game?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a great game. They have the size on their side and should make for an interesting match up down low. Btw, has anyone seen the video that Stanford put out recently trying to poke fun at us and generate interest in the game?

Yeah, that video was pretty bad. A swing and big-time miss.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team has gone undefeated in Pac10/12 play since Arizona joined the conference 40 years ago. There have been 7 times that a team has lost only 1 game, and five of those seasons were accomplished by the UofA:

1987-88 (17-1) Lost to Stanford (Mike Montgomery)
1988-89 (17-1) Lost to Stanford (Mike Montgomery)
1992-93 (17-1) Lost to California (Ben Braun)
1997-98 (17-1) Lost to USC (Henry Bibby)
2002-03 (17-1) Lost to Stanford (Mike Montgomery)

History is not a precursor to future events in college sports, especially when you are talking about teams from more than 10 years ago... but, in case you were wondering why some old-school UofA fans and writers are predicting this road trip might, possibly, maybe be the UofA's first loss, look no further than these seasons.

Obviously Stanford is a veteran team with size and Cal has proven themselves to be the #2 team thus far in conference play, and those are the reasons this will be a tough road trip. It has nothing to do with teams from 10+ years ago... however, some of these prognostications have to do with the fact that UofA fans/writers have a long memory and some fans like to think that history repeats itself. Either Stanford, or Cal has handed Arizona it's only loss four out of five times the UofA has gone 17-1, three of them by a Mike Montgomery coached team.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanley Johnson is a McDonalds All American.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal last year live and died by there back court...... Last year the cal backcourt went to Asu and played mediocore but lost, then went to Tucson and couldnt miss....... Cals front court has grown with Kravish and there a better all around team... Bird looked solid for a true freshmen but than he sat out a couple games... Once he starts to get it going it makes cal that much scarier....... No more living by Cobbs and Crabbe as they did last year as they replaced Crabbe with Bird this year who is only a true freshmen so obviously gives less than what Crabbe gave but they have an improved front court now and a better bench there a more complete team.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Jahii... for your in-depth breakdown of Cal's frontcourt and backcourt... but... ummm Arizona isn't playing Cal tonight, they are playing Stanford.

Take your asu breakdowns somewhere else, for the 1000th time.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Jahii... for your in-depth breakdown of Cal's frontcourt and backcourt... but... ummm Arizona isn't playing Cal tonight, they are playing Stanford.

Take your asu breakdowns somewhere else, for the 1000th time.

UA will have more trouble with Cal than Stanford....... Was my point but im just a kid..... Though... A kid who doesnt have Espn U and cant watch Asu take down Cal at 9:00 Fuck! Sorry GS all leave

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly want AZ to lose before March Madness. The media swarm of an undefeated team heading into the tourney is just too much. I don't want any part of it. I was discussing this with a buddy of mine and he asked me when I wanted them to lose. I told him in the Pac 12 tourney championship game by a locked in tourney team that absolutely played out of their minds.

That way, we go undefeated in the Pac, win the Pac title, have an undefeated regular season, but don't have to worry about the ridiculous expectations going into the big dance. Plus, I couldn't give a fuck about the Pac tourney. Never have, never will.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly want AZ to lose before March Madness. The media swarm of an undefeated team heading into the tourney is just too much. I don't want any part of it. I was discussing this with a buddy of mine and he asked me when I wanted them to lose. I told him in the Pac 12 tourney championship game by a locked in tourney team that absolutely played out of their minds.

That way, we go undefeated in the Pac, win the Pac title, have an undefeated regular season, but don't have to worry about the ridiculous expectations going into the big dance. Plus, I couldn't give a fuck about the Pac tourney. Never have, never will.

The Pac Tourney just wears you out...... Ruined our 08-09 season cause we had a great run in that pac tourney that could of been used in the actual tourney.

But I still like it the bottom feeders have a chance for the dance!

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac Tourney just wears you out...... Ruined our 08-09 season cause we had a great run in that pac tourney that could of been used in the actual tourney.

But I still like it the bottom feeders have a chance for the dance!

That's how I feel about it (in terms of wearing teams out). I've gone back and forth with when I want us to lose. With our 7 player rotation, I really don't want them to play 3 games in 3 days. I'd actually like them to lose on Friday to a tourney team that plays really well (unless it's ASU), just so they can rest Saturday.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UA will have more trouble with Cal than Stanford....... Was my point but im just a kid..... Though... A kid who doesnt have Espn U and cant watch Asu take down Cal at 9:00 Fuck! Sorry GS all leave

I'm not calling you a kid and I'm not telling you to leave... as if any of us had the power to do that anyway. All I'm saying is, save your Cal breakdown for the next UofA board, or take it to the asu board.

And if you really want to watch a college basketball game, it's not too hard to find them online.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how I feel about it (in terms of wearing teams out). I've gone back and forth with when I want us to lose. With our 7 player rotation, I really don't want them to play 3 games in 3 days. I'd actually like them to lose on Friday to a tourney team that plays really well (unless it's ASU), just so they can rest Saturday.

We need a great game to beat you im happy for Gilling when his heads straight hes the best 3pt shooter in Pac.... If I was UA I would want to lose @ Cal with Cobbs going insane..

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not calling you a kid and I'm not telling you to leave... as if any of us had the power to do that anyway. All I'm saying is, save your Cal breakdown for the next UofA board, or take it to the asu board.

And if you really want to watch a college basketball game, it's not too hard to find them online.

Im joking man no hard feelings but I always slip Asu into my replys and I forget no one here gives a shit about Asu haha.

But GS its hard to find a stream that works for an espn network game..

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Undefeated seasons are best left to the historians. Talking about it during the regular season is a bit counterproductive. We as fans think; "it probably would take the pressure off the team if they lost", but the reality is, it just depends on the individuals on the roster, and how they handle things on and off the court. Some individuals in this world play/work better under pressure than they do in a vacuum. Most of the players on this year's roster came to the UofA because they wanted to be challenged, they wanted the pressure. Now that they have the bullseye of being #1 and undefeated they can truly measure themselves as individuals and as a team.

Me, I don't care if they lose a game, or if they go undefeated, but you can damn well be sure that if they did go undefeated in conference we would remember it forever.

As far as the Pac12 tourney goes, it's the same situation, there is no black and white, only grey. If they play 3 tough games in 3 days, down to the wire, with the starters playing heavy minutes and wear them out before the NCAAs? That would be bad... but if they have a couple of 15-20 point wins followed by one tough game? That is different.

Obviously the Pac12 tournament title is meaningless for a team that is projected to be a #1 seed, but IMO you play to win every game, no matter what. If you lose, then you tip your cap to your opponent and move on to the next one, but you shouldn't ever hope/expect a loss, that is the wrong type of perspective to take in a competitive sport/job.