• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another game of You're the GM

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had to trade all of the "Big 3". You have to trade all 3 to the Eastern Conference and you can't trade any of them to places they wouldn't go (i.e. - Thornton to Boston, Heatley to Ottawa or Atlanta and Marleau to Torotno).

Who would you trade where and what would you try to get?

(feel free to add in other players, prospects or draft picks that currently reside with the Sharks)

EDIT: Also make sure that the trade with the Salary Cap

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimesis23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haven't been on here in a while, but I feel like the team has come as far as it can with the "Patty + Joe" core of players. Its time to turn the team over to the only players who actually give a shit, (i.e Boyle, Clowe, Couture, etc.) and I would deal all three of them for as many draft picks/young prospects as I can to restock the farm. The Sharks' prospect pool is a joke and it needs to be refilled at whatever cost. Too many "safe" picks that never panned out (Bernier, Michalek), and not enough high risk/high reward players. The organization needs to change its entire scouting/drafting style for the team to get back to the top of the league.

Nimesis23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haha sorry I know that wasn't specific as far as teams to trade to, but there's no way for us to know where Doug could possibly deal those guys. You'd have to give them to teams that are contenders who have a significant amount of cap room. Teams like Montreal and Buffalo come to mind because they have the cap space. Realistically I don't see them trading Joe, but Heater or Marleau could go if the team continues tanking as it seems to be doing the last month or so.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive been waiting for this game to happen, geez I need to think about it

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this would be a popular thread due to all the doom and gloomers we have here.....;)

That said, here's what I would do:

To NYR: Dany Heatley (LW)

To SJ: Ryan Callahan (RW), Derek Boogaard (LW) and Dan Girardi (D)

*Boogaard is the salary dump to make it work. NYR were supposedly the "other" team for Heatley after Ottawa-Gate.

To MTL: Patrick Marleau (LW/C) and a 2nd Rounder in 2010

To SJ: Travis Moen (LW), Jaroslav Spacek (D) and prospects Danny Kristo (RW) and Jared Tinordi (D)

(In need of a scoring winger and always seem to be interested in Patty)

I'm trying to figure out a good trade for Joe right now.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You had to trade all of the "Big 3". You have to trade all 3 to the Eastern Conference and you can't trade any of them to places they wouldn't go (i.e. - Thornton to Boston, Heatley to Ottawa or Atlanta and Marleau to Torotno).

Who would you trade where and what would you try to get?

(feel free to add in other players, prospects or draft picks that currently reside with the Sharks)

EDIT: Also make sure that the trade with the Salary Cap

Love the thread, and I'll do my best to make it as possible/realistic as possible...

I wouldn't deal heater if I didn't have to, but if I do...

1) Marleau+1st for Parise and arnott if possible. Likely parise would cost 5-6M/yr after next year, so it's pretty close in terms dollars, maybe saving a bit. Parise can be pretty impressive and he likely wants to leave, and patty would be a nice prize for NJ if they intend to compete immediately next year. Arnott would help replace him this year.

2) Jumbo I wouldn't deal if possible (just strip him of the C), but if I must, then I'd deal him to toronto for phaneuf and at least a 1st rounder or 2. Phaneuf is bipolar, but his shot from the point is pretty attractive. Saves 1M/yr, but it would make a huge hole at 1st line C.

3. Heater would have to yield a top line C. Not sure who is available, but maybe booth from Florida. I would consider Booth+wideman for him...

Honestly, patty is probably the only one of the top 3 that I would acually deal. Heater has been making a lot of chances and not hurting defensively. Jumbo is obviously struggling mightily, but I think the C is weighing him down and we've seen what he is truly capable of in terms of completely controlling the game. patty is the only guy who has never scored 90 pts or really dominated despite his linemates the way heater and jumbo have (patty only got good once he was paired with jumbo). Patty is also destroying the team at both ends as he is among the 5 worst defensive forwards in the entire league and the #1 worst in the entire western conference (in terms of +/-).

That's really really bad.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To ATL: Joe Thornton (C)

To SJ: Bryan Little (C), Niclas Bergfors (LW) and Zach Bogosian (D)

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I heard Tampa wanted to trade St Louis, Lacav & Stamkos to SJ for Wallin & Marleau, but Wilson turned it down siting "Players like Wallin come around once in a life time, if your lucky to land one on your roster, you hold on to him!"

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Tampa wanted to trade St Louis, Lacav & Stamkos to SJ for Wallin & Marleau, but Wilson turned it down siting "Players like Wallin come around once in a life time, if your lucky to land one on your roster, you hold on to him!"

Way to add to the thread I guess.....

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought this would be a popular thread due to all the doom and gloomers we have here.....;)

That said, here's what I would do:

To NYR: Dany Heatley (LW)

To SJ: Ryan Callahan (RW), Derek Boogaard (LW) and Dan Girardi (D)

*Boogaard is the salary dump to make it work. NYR were supposedly the "other" team for Heatley after Ottawa-Gate.

To MTL: Patrick Marleau (LW/C) and a 2nd Rounder in 2010

To SJ: Travis Moen (LW), Jaroslav Spacek (D) and prospects Danny Kristo (RW) and Jared Tinordi (D)

(In need of a scoring winger and always seem to be interested in Patty)

I'm trying to figure out a good trade for Joe right now.

I would love that trade but you'd have to add at least a solid pick or prospect going to the Rangers. Even with the Boogaard dump Heatley isn't worth Callahan and Girardi.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love that trade but you'd have to add at least a solid pick or prospect going to the Rangers. Even with the Boogaard dump Heatley isn't worth Callahan and Girardi.

What type of draft pick or prospect are you thinking Cmon? 2nd? Petrecki? Sateri?

EDIT: Are the other 2 trades (in a hypothetical vacuum world) reasonable? If not, what would you change/add/delete?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What type of draft pick or prospect are you thinking Cmon? 2nd? Petrecki? Sateri?

Something close to that ilk.

I doubt the Rangers would be interested in Heatley to begin with though. They are thin at center so Thornton, Marleau, or Pavelski is who their sights would be on.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I say something like:

Thornton and a 3rd to the NYR for Callahan and Girardi.

Heatley, 1st, + a prostect like Doherty to Pitt for Staal and Goligoski. (Not sure if this would work for Pit cap wise. It'd be close)

I don't see an adiquate trading partner for Marleau in the East. LA would be a good distination for him. Look for Brown + a pick in return.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this is just a guess but I don't see Doug Trading any of the big 3.

So here is my trade

Mitchell, Huskins, Prospect, 3rd pick to TOR. for Beauchemin and Versteeg

Setoguchi and 2nd Pick to PITT. for Orpik

Niemi, Vlasic, McGinn to EDM. for R. Whitney

Joslin Prospect/ Picks to ATL. for A Stewart

Sign Cheechoo and Nolan league Min. *i know FAT CHANCE*

*YES I KNOW MY MATH IS OFF by a Couple of MIL*

Line ups

Marleau, Thornton, Heatley
Clowe, Couture, Stewart
Versteeg, Pavelski, Cheechoo
Mayers, Nichol, Nolan

Boyle, Beauchemin
Whitney, Orpik
Murray, Demers

Nittiimaki, Griess *if they get him back from the swiss League or Stalock

I know it wont happen in a million years, but hey I had more fun trying to figure out trades tonight than watching that piece of gutter trash crap.

* But it did work on my NHL 11 game!

Nite All

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PIT: Marleau + Ferrieo
SJ: Jordan Staal + Tyler Kennedy

BOS: Heatley
SJ: Nathan Horton + Dennis Seidenberg

BOS has inconsistent wingers and might welcome a sniper to play with any of their three talented centers. Marleau can play with either Malkin or Crosby to make a nice combo.

Like others have said, take the C away from Thornton, but keep him on the team. He's the only player on the Sharks that can make a line by himself.

Seto-Thornton-Horton
Couture-Staal-Clowe

(I don't know much about the current status of the NMCs and NTCs, who has what and whatever.)

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just noticed PIT has no cap space. Oh well.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say something like:

Thornton and a 3rd to the NYR for Callahan and Girardi.

Heatley, 1st, + a prostect like Doherty to Pitt for Staal and Goligoski. (Not sure if this would work for Pit cap wise. It'd be close)

I don't see an adiquate trading partner for Marleau in the East. LA would be a good distination for him. Look for Brown + a pick in return.

I was thinking along a very similar line but your trade would put Pit over the cap. Send Heatley or Marleau to Pit in exchange for Staal and a Dman. My preference would be Letang but with how he has been playing this year I would be shocked if he were traded.

I would like Michalek and again I doubt Pittsburgh would go for it but it would be closer for them salary wise.

I don't really know where to trade Thornton. I would say Toronto or Atlanta for a replacement forward and some pieces.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Funny thing about this slump is that its only cementing Thorntons legacey as a worthless choke.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing about this slump is that its only cementing Thorntons legacey as a worthless choke.

Agreed. The poor dude couldn't lead his way out of a wet paper bag.