• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anatomy of a Winner: Green Bay Packers

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A New York Jets sports writer investigates the quality teams in the NFL looking at how they are always good and seeing if the Jets can develop some of these traits to build them into a winning franchise. It is a good long read for those of you with time and interest:

Click the link for the full read:

Anatomy of a Winner: Green Bay Packers - Gang Green Nation

As Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles begin their quest to build the Jets into a consistent winner, we are going to look at some of the best run franchises in the NFL. We want to see what makes them tick. What are their philosophies? What specific strategies set them apart? Above all, consistent winners have two important pieces, a head coach and a quarterback. How did these teams get these moves right? Today we look at the Green Bay Packers.

The Green Bay Packers are one of the NFL's most storied franchises. Green Bay's 13 NFL Championships ranks first in league history. In the decade Ted Thompson has been general manager of the Packers, the team has moved beyond the Brett Favre Era and remained at the top of the league. How do the Packers do it? Let's take a look.

Describe the organization philosophy in one word: Homegrown

Teams often pay lip service to the idea of building through the Draft, but Green Bay buys into it on a level unlike almost any other team. The Green Bay opening day roster in 2014 had just six players who had ever spent time on the active roster of another team.

The Packers focus on finding and developing their talent. They hit on early round picks. They find contributors in the middle and late rounds. They find contributors off the scrap heap. The key is they want players they can bring up and develop in their own system and culture.

Because the Packers take this approach, they have to develop their talent from the top down. They need to develop their stars. They need to develop their starters. They need to develop their role players. Since teams get a limited amount of early Draft picks, this means hitting on late rounders and finding hidden gems. There is pressure on every facet from scouting to player development. The Packers do it well too.

In their Super Bowl win over the Steelers five years, ago there were thirteen Packers defenders who played at least 29 snaps. From those thirteen were two undrafted rookies signed by Thompson, a Thompson sixth round pick, and three undrafted free agents signed by other teams that Thompson claimed off waivers when they were rookies. Almost half of a defense that won the Super Bowl was found off the scrap heap. That included a star in Tramon Williams.

It seems at times like the Packers have two simultaneous operations going. The first is coaching up the regular starters to win games. The second is developing the backups who aren't playing to eventually take on bigger roles.

Next man up has become something of a cliche in NFL circles, but it actually applies in Green Bay. Their focus on player development regularly leaves somebody ready to step up when a key contributor is lost.

If you want a big picture example, look no further than the 2010 championship team the Packers had, which had 16 players go on injured reserve. Injuries are a convenient excuse for a team to struggle, but depth can help overcome that. In a league with a salary cap, most depth has to be developed internally with cheap young players. The Packers did that.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Cowboys fan but I have to take my hat off to the Packers organization for having the most consistent winning teams of the past 20 years. They never make a big splash in free agency and just build through the draft and have had only two losing seasons since 1993.

:clap:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C,mon. The packer have had two elite QBs in a row. That and that alone is the difference. 49ers did the same. What happened to them when that ran out? The Packers are better at the QB position and no where else. The team it's self is always average. Sure call me a hater but that does not change the fact I'm dead right. With out AR TT would have been fired long ago.

coulomb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C,mon. The packer have had two elite QBs in a row. That and that alone is the difference. 49ers did the same. What happened to them when that ran out? The Packers are better at the QB position and no where else. The team it's self is always average. Sure call me a hater but that does not change the fact I'm dead right. With out AR TT would have been fired long ago.

Yet in 2013 where rodgers was out half the year, packers still won the division.. "Rodgers to Cobb"... remember? I know you do.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Noon it is a good thing your day job is not a pro football scout as you would not be very good at it:

5 Most Talented Rosters in the NFL Heading Into the 2015 Season - Part 2

1. Green Bay Packers
Key Players:

• Aaron Rodgers, quarterback
  • Jordy Nelson, wide receiver
  • Randall Cobb, wide receiver
  • Eddie Lacy, running back
  • Corey Linsley, center
  • Bryan Bulaga, offensive tackle
  • Josh Sitton, offensive guard
  • B.J. Raji, defensive tackle
  • Clay Matthews, outside linebacker
  • Julius Peppers, outside linebacker
  • Sam Shields, cornerback
  • Morgan Burnett, safety
  • Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, safety
  • Mason Crosby, Kicker
Even without the best quarterback in the league, Aaron Rodgers, the Packers would have an incredibly talented roster. General Manager Ted Thompson has built a team with numerous playmakers on both sides of the ball without ever having to truly venture into the risky world of unrestricted free agency. With the exception of Julius Peppers, the Packers drafted every one of the above-mentioned players. Heading into the 2015 season, the Packers are one of the favorites to win Super Bowl 50, and with a roster as talented as theirs from top to bottom, it’s easy to see why.

Read more: 5 Most Talented Rosters in the NFL Heading Into the 2015 Season

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legs I can pick out as many good players on many many teams. Really on your list there is only 5 or 6 good players. About the same as other teams.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet in 2013 where rodgers was out half the year, packers still won the division.. "Rodgers to Cobb"... remember? I know you do.
Sure I remember. The whole div was really really bad that year and you guys got AR back and won in the last seconds of the game. But that does not really prove anything.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys had our list of shitty QBs over the last 20 years would you be considered one of the winningest teams over the last 20? of coarse not. Look you guy have had great QB play for a long long time and that is the difference. The rest of the team around the QB is average in every way. You got a few good guys but so does every team.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blah blah blah. Your team having shitty qb's for what seems like an eternity is part of your makeup as a team. Our teams ability to draft or sign winning qb's(and other positions) is what helps makes Green Bay a winning team. Like it or not each player, whether good or bad, helps make up the team. Keep thinking we only have 5 good players and I'll keep laughing at your joke of a team.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legs I can pick out as many good players on many many teams. Really on your list there is only 5 or 6 good players. About the same as other teams.

There was a lot more than 5 or 6 on that list above.

ESPN rated Eddie Lacy the #1 player in fantasy football for this upcoming year. If I have the #1 pick in my league I will not be sure who to pick. Should I take Rodgers or Lacy?

Click the link for the full article to get fully enlightened

Green Bay Packers running back Eddie Lacy best in NFL?

His growth from year one to year two was astonishing, although was nuanced enough to be missed by some. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers not only now fully trusts Lacy as a target to throw to, but as a blocker as well. Thus, Lacy should be able to stay on the field for more downs than ever before in 2015. He’ll more comfortable than he was last year with his new and improved role. That is one of the reasons why ESPN listed him as the top Fantasy Football player for 2015.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys had our list of shitty QBs over the last 20 years would you be considered one of the winningest teams over the last 20? of coarse not. Look you guy have had great QB play for a long long time and that is the difference. The rest of the team around the QB is average in every way. You got a few good guys but so does every team.

Our management would not allow the team to go 20 years with bad QBs

Mark87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blah blah blah. Your team having shitty qb's for what seems like an eternity is part of your makeup as a team. Our teams ability to draft or sign winning qb's(and other positions) is what helps makes Green Bay a winning team. Like it or not each player, whether good or bad, helps make up the team. Keep thinking we only have 5 good players and I'll keep laughing at your joke of a team.

Bears fans.... :L

1. While you do have some QB issue's letting your defense get old as sin and not restocking bit you in the hinder.

2. . That guy couldn't coach his way out of an out house unless it was 110 yards long and 65 yards wide. ( Should have stayed in the CFL)

Back to your QB, putting him in the last 2 systems was just plain foolish. He just doesn't thrive trying to fling it. He would be best if he went into a run first..play action type system. Very controlled. :2cents:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordy, Cobb, Matthews, etc are avg? What about Woodson who won defensive POY a few years back? Packers won the SB in 2011 and their defense was top 5.

Btw tell Cutler that his receivers wear blue and orange not green and gold.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flower-The-Skunk-Haters-Gonna-Hate-Bambi-Gif.gif

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a lot more than 5 or 6 on that list above.

ESPN rated Eddie Lacy the #1 player in fantasy football for this upcoming year. If I have the #1 pick in my league I will not be sure who to pick. Should I take Rodgers or Lacy?

I love Lacy but his No.1 ff ranking is based on his situation. Having a elite QB and WR.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sound like a bitter Bears fan. Your team hasn't been relevant in a long, long time.