• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers at Giants

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so. But the O needs to play better. That effort works when Eli throws 5 picks, but its not going to get it done in the Seattle, Arizona, or San Diego games.

D is playing amazing, though.

What makes you think Wilson and Stanton are not capable of throwing 5 picks? Heck right now you could say all 4 of the NFC West teams have struggling offenses, but all 4 are playing lights out D.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we got a win on the road. Back to back road wins which is a pretty good achievement. The passing offensive performance was however, really poor....bad to the point where I spent probably twice as much time watching their film as opposed to the defensive side, just to make sure. When you get 6 turnovers, and you still can only muster up 16 points....on a poor defense like NYG, there is something wrong. Grading out the defense was pretty easy, so I'll just get it out of the way:

Aldon Smith changed that game defensively. His mere presence brought the best game McDonald has had this year, and Lynch on the other side really pinched Manning. Bethea and especially Culliver had strong games - Culliver's best game as well, this year. Borland is a blessing...but I do wonder how legit it is, given the casualties this defense has suffered, it hasn't skipped a beat. Reality is, that 'shouldn't' happen.

Offensively this game, I believe problem #1 was Colin Kaepernick. Constantly making bad or mis-reads, poor decision making and a lack of accuracy. There were many, many plays to be made, and for one reason or another, they just never could. Some poor schemes, some poor offensive line play, but most of it was #7 AFAIC. I've seen it mentioned that we're running simple routes or whatnot, but that is easily explainable. It gives the QB easier reads, and with the bad pass protection we've seen this year, there is simply no time to consistently run combination routes. Also, SF predominantly faces zone coverages so it takes more time to stretch zones open for guys. It's part of the reason why I constantly read about 'why guys aren't open' in this offense....well that and the fact that Kaepernick still tends to lock onto targets.

Crabtree had a nice TD, but still the case of the drops, and it could've been a fatal one. Luckily the defense bailed him and the entire offense out. Vernon Davis looked like trash. He doesn't even seem to be playing with any effort, and his routes are so rounded, it's almost embarrassing.

One thing I'd like to see Roman do is call more draws...and generally just run more from the spread. I think SF could've really gashed the Giants bigtime, especially the times they spread them out. Gore was Gore, the heart and soul of the offense.

Washington is next.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we got a win on the road. Back to back road wins which is a pretty good achievement. The passing offensive performance was however, really poor....bad to the point where I spent probably twice as much time watching their film as opposed to the defensive side, just to make sure. When you get 6 turnovers, and you still can only muster up 16 points....on a poor defense like NYG, there is something wrong. Grading out the defense was pretty easy, so I'll just get it out of the way:

Aldon Smith changed that game defensively. His mere presence brought the best game McDonald has had this year, and Lynch on the other side really pinched Manning. Bethea and especially Culliver had strong games - Culliver's best game as well, this year. Borland is a blessing...but I do wonder how legit it is, given the casualties this defense has suffered, it hasn't skipped a beat. Reality is, that 'shouldn't' happen.

Offensively this game, I believe problem #1 was Colin Kaepernick. Constantly making bad or mis-reads, poor decision making and a lack of accuracy. There were many, many plays to be made, and for one reason or another, they just never could. Some poor schemes, some poor offensive line play, but most of it was #7 AFAIC. I've seen it mentioned that we're running simple routes or whatnot, but that is easily explainable. It gives the QB easier reads, and with the bad pass protection we've seen this year, there is simply no time to consistently run combination routes. Also, SF predominantly faces zone coverages so it takes more time to stretch zones open for guys. It's part of the reason why I constantly read about 'why guys aren't open' in this offense....well that and the fact that Kaepernick still tends to lock onto targets.

Crabtree had a nice TD, but still the case of the drops, and it could've been a fatal one. Luckily the defense bailed him and the entire offense out. Vernon Davis looked like trash. He doesn't even seem to be playing with any effort, and his routes are so rounded, it's almost embarrassing.

One thing I'd like to see Roman do is call more draws...and generally just run more from the spread. I think SF could've really gashed the Giants bigtime, especially the times they spread them out. Gore was Gore, the heart and soul of the offense.

Washington is next.

Back to Back Road Wins in different Time Zones as well. Central and Eastern which is a pretty big deal for a West Coast team to do that in consecutive weeks.

If only the offense would start to gel together past a few good Gore runs and Kaep finding Boldin over and over.