• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NFL Draft: The Quarterback Class

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I just think he needs a little bit more pocket mobility to extend plays and he will be good but then again we were knocking Stroud for the same thing last year
Yeah until the Georgia game everyone questioned his mobility. He showed a different aspect of his game there. I think he is athletic enough to scramble but I think the most important aspect, he can move around in the pocket and quick on his feet.
Can Penix do the same is the only question. If he can, I think he can have success. Very accurate and seems to process well at least when I saw him. Always difficult to tell if you have two insane WR's and I think that is why people were bullish on Stroud. He had arguably the best weapons in college football.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I just think he needs a little bit more pocket mobility to extend plays and he will be good but then again we were knocking Stroud for the same thing last year

Stroud did have a standout performance vs Georgia that really opened eyes. But really, only that game and the game vs Northwestern did he have any real rushing yards. Penix did run a little vs Texas, but only 3 attempts (but 31 yards). Definitely a runner only by necessity.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal rankings of the QBs and some embarrassing comps with little thought put into them. I probably wont look at these players again until Chris Simms makes a list.

1. Caleb Williams, Southern California (Brett Favre)
2. Drake Maye, North Carolina (Trevor Lawrence)

3. Jayden Daniels, Louisiana State (Tyrod Taylor)
4. J.J McCarthy, Michigan (Daniel Jones)
5. Bo Nix, Oregon (Brock Purdy)

6. Michael Penix Jr, Washington (Drew Lock)
7. Jordan Travis Florida St
8. Spencer Rattler South Carolina

9. Michael Pratt, Tulane
This year's draft is really filled with a lot of great potential at QB. I see potential in just about all these guys.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked at the big boards, and it looks like Caleb Williams remains as the top quarterback in the class. Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye are seen as the #2. However, we're trending toward Daniels as QB2 off the board.

McCarthy is now being projected as a mid 1st round guy. Penix could go anywhere between late 1st round to end of the 3rd round. Nix is being slotted as a 2nd round guy.

Spencer Rattler has now moved into 3rd round conversation. Looks like his performance during Senior Bowl practices and game are increasing his stock. People seem to be blaming the so-called low production on poor offensive line at South Carolina.

Michael Pratt as a 3rd to 4th round prospect.

It looks like we have 7 guys as main discussion points.

New rankings:
1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. Maye
4. McCarthy
All projected to go in the first round.

5. Nix
6. Penix
7. Rattler
Beyond those 7, we have Pratt and Travis as your wildcards.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's a huge leap. I think Williams has far and away the best shot. We'll see.
Well that is bc some view him as generational but that is extremely rare. I think there are some other QB’s that are extremely talented but might in the shadow of Caleb.
Maye- no clue yet but a lot of experts rave about him. I will have to look at film.
Jayden - boom or bust but his boom could be a huge BOOM imo

but back to Caleb. Trevor was that generational guy for a long time. Out of HS, at Clemson and maybe by the time he got drafted that wore off a bit. He has been less than impressive for being a sure A+ prospect.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is bc some view him as generational but that is extremely rare. I think there are some other QB’s that are extremely talented but might in the shadow of Caleb.
Maye- no clue yet but a lot of experts rave about him. I will have to look at film.
Jayden - boom or bust but his boom could be a huge BOOM imo

but back to Caleb. Trevor was that generational guy for a long time. Out of HS, at Clemson and maybe by the time he got drafted that wore off a bit. He has been less than impressive for being a sure A+ prospect.

The thing with Jayden is the late emergence IMO. Projections to Lamar seem logical until you take into account that Lamar had similar production across 3 years with Louisville (and a lot more rushing) and Daniels wasn't considered a top QB prospect until this season really (and at age 23).

Remembering that Lamar got pushed almost out of the first round seems ludicrous in retrospect. Then again, Teddy Bridgewater slid because he wore gloves; the NFL gets silly sometimes.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Jayden is the late emergence IMO. Projections to Lamar seem logical until you take into account that Lamar had similar production across 3 years with Louisville (and a lot more rushing) and Daniels wasn't considered a top QB prospect until this season really (and at age 23).

Remembering that Lamar got pushed almost out of the first round seems ludicrous in retrospect. Then again, Teddy Bridgewater slid because he wore gloves; the NFL gets silly sometimes.
I am not a fan of the comparison to Lamar. As far as late emergence, it's not like we haven't seen that before and for the guy to succeed. For example, that other LSU QB, Burrow. Before that final year at LSU he wasn't close to the prospect let alone #1 pick.

Unlike Burrow, I still project him a big boom or bust guy. Far from what Burrow's projection was. He was more of a sure thing but not to the level of Luck

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a fan of the comparison to Lamar. As far as late emergence, it's not like we haven't seen that before and for the guy to succeed. For example, that other LSU QB, Burrow. Before that final year at LSU he wasn't close to the prospect let alone #1 pick.

Unlike Burrow, I still project him a big boom or bust guy. Far from what Burrow's projection was. He was more of a sure thing but not to the level of Luck

Burrow's situation was different though, in that he couldn't crack the starting job for 3 years at Ohio State. He only attempted 39 passes before transferring to LSU as a redshirt junior. Daniels only roadblock to minutes was a pandemic-shortened 2020 season.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow's situation was different though, in that he couldn't crack the starting job for 3 years at Ohio State. He only attempted 39 passes before transferring to LSU as a redshirt junior. Daniels only roadblock to minutes was a pandemic-shortened 2020 season.
Daniels still had 1 very good year at Arizona St with much less talent and 2 years at LSU. It's not like the guy didn't play or didn't play well. Everything clicked the last year but 2019 and 2022 he went 3,400 yards 20 total TD's and 2 INT's then again 3,900 yards 28 total TD's and 3 INT's

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I believe in generational prospects. Every once in awhile you see massive outliers. Kyle Pitts and Penei Sewell were both massive outliers. One might actually be generational but the other is just a guy.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I believe in generational prospects. Every once in awhile you see massive outliers. Kyle Pitts and Penei Sewell were both massive outliers. One might actually be generational but the other is just a guy.

I remember the Packers drafting the "generational prospect" Tony Mandarich #2 overall. Only one of the 1st 5 picks from 1989 draft without HOF behind his name.... :gaah:

1709139574641.png

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels still had 1 very good year at Arizona St with much less talent and 2 years at LSU. It's not like the guy didn't play or didn't play well. Every clicked the last year but 2019 and 2022 he went 3,400 yards 20 total TD's and 2 INT's then again 3,900 yards 28 total TD's and 3 INT's

Weird to have a good true freshman year, then not again until 3 and 4 years later after a transfer. It's not the cleanest progression anyway.

I like him as a prospect, just pointing out what can be seen as red flags.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Generational" is just the buzz word that replaces "can't miss", since they can and have. Just at a much smaller rate than most prospects.

We'll see more out of Pitts this season (and he had a strong rookie season) if the Falcons get a QB (and they certainly better do so).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Generational" is just the buzz word that replaces "can't miss", since they can and have. Just at a much smaller rate than most prospects.
I do think its super useful to view prospects relative to the class before and after. If someone (Bijan for example) is the best prospects in his class and the next class is junk then I think that changes how you view him.

Why someone is generational is important, too. Going back to Bijan, its because he was a good runner and an excellent receiving threat. You value him that high because you can feature him in the passing game. Going back to Kyle Pitts, his talent probably wont fully show without a top 10 QB.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird to have a good true freshman year, then not again until 3 and 4 years later after a transfer. It's not the cleanest progression anyway.

I like him as a prospect, just pointing out what can be seen as red flags.
This is why he is boom or bust

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think its super useful to view prospects relative to the class before and after. If someone (Bijan for example) is the best prospects in his class and the next class is junk then I think that changes how you view him.

Why someone is generational is important, too. Going back to Bijan, its because he was a good runner and an excellent receiving threat. You value him that high because you can feature him in the passing game. Going back to Kyle Pitts, his talent probably wont fully show without a top 10 QB.
I think some guys use that "generational" word more than they should. Pitts was a very hyped up prospect, I never got the generational stuff. That term should be used very lightly.

I mean for a QB it was used very lightly back in the day. Every 15-20 years. I feel like it is used more now bc you see guys that are absolute athletic freaks. I even draw a line between "can't miss" and "generational". I only saw one QB drafted that I felt was a generational type of prospect and that was Andrew Luck. I don't believe Caleb is that type of prospect, doesn't mean he can't be a future pro bowler or all-pro guy.