• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free Agency

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thing here is the Bengals could have easily guaranteed him more, even if the overall deal might have been less...

Makes me think the Bengals were ready to move on - and potentially - the injury history of Reader was too much for the Bengals to risk at this stage in his career...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thing here is the Bengals could have easily guaranteed him more, even if the overall deal might have been less...

Makes me think the Bengals were ready to move on - and potentially - the injury history of Reader was too much for the Bengals to risk at this stage in his career...
Had to be because that deal makes me sick we couldn't match.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys are right - Reader would have been brought back at a steep discount, but they weren't paying him what the Lions did. The fact of the matter is that he was injured a lot during his time here and he is now past 30. Counting on him would have been a big mistake. They need to sign Tart and then add some other players. There isn't one turnkey solution out there in FA or the draft. Hopefully they can build a solid rotation and find something that works.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys are right - Reader would have been brought back at a steep discount, but they weren't paying him what the Lions did. The fact of the matter is that he was injured a lot during his time here and he is now past 30. Counting on him would have been a big mistake. They need to sign Tart and then add some other players. There isn't one turnkey solution out there in FA or the draft. Hopefully they can build a solid rotation and find something that works.
Yes - my guess here is that their approach will be to load up at the 3-Tech and rotate them along with either a draft pick, or maybe another veteran after cuts. But either way - the approach will be to plug 1 hole with several rotating guys.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - my guess here is that their approach will be to load up at the 3-Tech and rotate them along with either a draft pick, or maybe another veteran after cuts. But either way - the approach will be to plug 1 hole with several rotating guys.
T'Vondre Sweat seems a little more critical with pick #2 now.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like his weight. We need a guy that can just fall forward and pancake 3 guys.
I think that's what they thought would happen when they drafted that one kid from LSU 3 years ago...gotta be good at this level - not just big.

Don't get me wrong - if Sweat is around, and where-ever that pick is - if it warrants a look - then I'm for it. My main point was more - the Bengals don't target players, they target value - which is the right approach. If you land more hits than misses - you can still fill in the blanks later....but if you reach or target, and miss....well....we've seen that, too.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's what they thought would happen when they drafted that one kid from LSU 3 years ago...gotta be good at this level - not just big.

Don't get me wrong - if Sweat is around, and where-ever that pick is - if it warrants a look - then I'm for it. My main point was more - the Bengals don't target players, they target value - which is the right approach. If you land more hits than misses - you can still fill in the blanks later....but if you reach or target, and miss....well....we've seen that, too.
Sweat is an unknown. I have seen drafts that have him in the mid to late 1st, to him going all the way down to the beginning of the third. I don't think anyone has an idea where his true value lands when it comes to the draft. Donald was not highly graded out for the draft either, so you never know. It just depends on the guy. If you draft a guy that really cares about his craft and health to go along with potential, you will get a 10 year player. If you are lacking either of those three, you are looking at a backup to out of the league in a few years. You need all three of those to maintain a good balance.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF? Do the Texans just have too much money sitting around? I'm happy for Mixon, but they're giving the dude 13 million guaranteed? They had one year remaining on his deal. Doesn't make sense.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reader will be hard to replace. He was good at his job

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reader will be hard to replace. He was good at his job
He was, when he was healthy.

I think that was the issue for the Bengals. They weren't going to overpay him just to keep him with his injury history...

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get von bell back, don;t have to pay him get the comp pick and save cap space.. pretty slick

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
love a coney! probably a good thing I can't get them

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2