• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free Agency

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legal tampering begins in a few hours.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this amounts to anything. Bengals are well versed with Bates and then Williams last year. My guess is that he skips camp, but shows up for the regular season...and becomes a F/A next year.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its on par with just about every player who has ever received a tag. We shouldn't have expected him to treat it differently. I think he needs another year to get the contract he desires though. He was good last year, but not high end #1 WR good. Prove yourself this year Tee.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its on par with just about every player who has ever received a tag. We shouldn't have expected him to treat it differently. I think he needs another year to get the contract he desires though. He was good last year, but not high end #1 WR good. Prove yourself this year Tee.
Yeah, injuries really took a toll. He stands to make a good chunk if he can get out there, stay on the field, and show out.

Though - if some team is going to offer a top 15 pick....top 12 pick.....I'd listen. You could replace him in the draft with that pick.

I'd even consider a swap of 1st round picks, if it were high enough - and additional 2nd rounder to make it worth while.

But - that's not been the Bengals MO - and as much as I like Tee - I don't think some team out there is going to get super crazy and over spend in draft capital to get him this year.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, he isn't going to get 30 million a year, so he might just have to wear stripes another year, try to stay healthy, and see where he lands.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this amounts to anything. Bengals are well versed with Bates and then Williams last year. My guess is that he skips camp, but shows up for the regular season...and becomes a F/A next year.

he thrives in Cincinnati,wtf does he want to leave?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he thrives in Cincinnati,wtf does he want to leave?
Because he wants to get paid. No shame in that, but if he's wanting top tier money, it won't be in Cincinnati with Chase due for an extension next year. Burrow got his last year. Can't pay everyone.

Tee can be a solid #1 for someone...probably not in the top tier of #1's, but he's shown he can help carry an offense as #1 WR's do. Someone will pay him good change.

But, I do agree with your sentiment - players get too caught up in immediate money and don't, often, consider the long-term effects of leaving a situation where things are very good and landing in a situation that doesn't turn out as well. Maybe you end up taking less to stay, but you can produce and win. Maybe you decide to leave, get that big contract, but because it wasn't a good situation as originally though - you never see that 3rd or 4th year of the contract, meaning - you actually lost money.

Agents and teams have been playing this game for decades with big money signings that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. The agents, and teams, likely know from the get-go that the player will never see those big money years. Those $80, $90, $100M dollar contracts essentially end up with a fraction of that money. Sure, they might get $30 or $40M up front...but after 2 years, they've seen only $50-55M of that contract - then they are cut and poof....that mega contract doesn't seem like it was such a great idea. Players, though, don't understand this or don't care to. All they see is that big number up front and lose their minds.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he wants to get paid. No shame in that, but if he's wanting top tier money, it won't be in Cincinnati with Chase due for an extension next year. Burrow got his last year. Can't pay everyone.

Tee can be a solid #1 for someone...probably not in the top tier of #1's, but he's shown he can help carry an offense as #1 WR's do. Someone will pay him good change.

But, I do agree with your sentiment - players get too caught up in immediate money and don't, often, consider the long-term effects of leaving a situation where things are very good and landing in a situation that doesn't turn out as well. Maybe you end up taking less to stay, but you can produce and win. Maybe you decide to leave, get that big contract, but because it wasn't a good situation as originally though - you never see that 3rd or 4th year of the contract, meaning - you actually lost money.

Agents and teams have been playing this game for decades with big money signings that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. The agents, and teams, likely know from the get-go that the player will never see those big money years. Those $80, $90, $100M dollar contracts essentially end up with a fraction of that money. Sure, they might get $30 or $40M up front...but after 2 years, they've seen only $50-55M of that contract - then they are cut and poof....that mega contract doesn't seem like it was such a great idea. Players, though, don't understand this or don't care to. All they see is that big number up front and lose their minds.
I,d take Higgins over chase every time.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I,d take Higgins over chase every time.
No way, and it's not particularly close.

Higgins is a lower tier 1, top tier #2.

Chase is bonafide top 5(ish) WR in the NFL - and this is coming from a guy who did not really want to draft Chase.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stats - Lots of reasons to beware of sample size and other factors, but I think it's still relevant. If someone offers a 1st or high 2nd for Tee, I think you take it and move on.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Von Bell has been released by the Panthers.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mind boggling.. The Packers sign Josh Jacobs and release Aaron Jones.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stats - Lots of reasons to beware of sample size and other factors, but I think it's still relevant. If someone offers a 1st or high 2nd for Tee, I think you take it and move on.

Again - Tee is a very good WR - he's a bottom tier 1, upper tier 2. He's also had some injury issues - that no doubt some teams will want answers to in 2024. He's missed several games in '21 and again last year - not to mention several others where he was active, but barely played.

That said - he'll be here another year. Bengals just don't really have any pressure to trade him without getting a sure fire starter in return (draft pick would need to be in the middle 1st at the very least). You also don't want to get in a habit of caving into these demands as it sets a precedent with other guys you will tag. I'd let Tee know he's welcome to look on his own, with his agent, for a trade - but if it's not in the realm of the top half of the 1st round - it's a non-starter. Then at least, if another player balks at the tag - they can't really point to Tee because if Tee is traded, it's because they got very high value in return...