• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 NFL Draft: Quarterback Class

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S2 Cognition Test results are in: Bryce Young (98%) and Will Levis (93%) aced it, CJ Stroud and Hendon Hooker produced low scores. Young put up a higher score than Josh Allen, Justin Fields, and Joe Burrow (all of them produced 90% range numbers). Do you think this matters? Will this hurt Stroud's stock? @Clayton @shopson67 @Southieinnc

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S2 Cognition Test results are in: Bryce Young (98%) and Will Levis (93%) aced it, CJ Stroud and Hendon Hooker produced low scores. Young put up a higher score than Josh Allen, Justin Fields, and Joe Burrow (all of them produced 90% range numbers). Do you think this matters? Will this hurt Stroud's stock? @Clayton @shopson67 @Southieinnc

Stroud is still going top 4 I'd imagine. The cognition thing and the fact that Houston doesn't like Strouds agent might push Levis or AR ahead of him. Vegas has Levis as the favorite to go #2 overall right now.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stroud is still going top 4 I'd imagine. The cognition thing and the fact that Houston doesn't like Strouds agent might push Levis or AR ahead of him. Vegas has Levis as the favorite to go #2 overall right now.
That's an interesting turn of events. I always thought Young would be the 1st off the board, now it looks like Stroud might be 3rd or 4th (or *gulp* 5th) off the board. Do you think teams believe the Georgia's game was an aberration, like Haskins vs. Michigan? BTW - My view of Young has gone way up. I think he might be the real deal.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting turn of events. I always thought Young would be the 1st off the board, now it looks like Stroud might be 3rd or 4th (or *gulp* 5th) off the board. Do you think teams believe the Georgia's game was an aberration, like Haskins vs. Michigan? BTW - My view of Young has gone way up. I think he might be the real deal.
Bryce's height is still a thing for me to be honest, but hey, Drew Brees was a successful shorty, so I guess it could work (anyone who believes Brees was 6' tall is lying lol)...

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure if it was this thread or another, but I called out Stroud as the best of the bunch in this group. This information has me back pedaling from that big time. I am now in the camp of every one of these QBs have serious questions about them.

What a difference a year makes. This time last year I thought this QB crop would be stellar. It’s definitely lost a lot of shine. The best QBs from this draft may come from the later rounds in good situations where they can grow and develop without that instant pressure of having to be the franchise QB.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if it was this thread or another, but I called out Stroud as the best of the bunch in this group. This information has me back pedaling from that big time. I am now in the camp of every one of these QBs have serious questions about them.

What a difference a year makes. This time last year I thought this QB crop would be stellar. It’s definitely lost a lot of shine. The best QBs from this draft may come from the later rounds in good situations where they can grow and develop without that instant pressure of having to be the franchise QB.
I had him as my #1 too. Now he's my #4. My order is Young (yes, he's under-sized for the position), Levis, Richardson, Stroud, and then Hooker.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had him as my #1 too. Now he's my #4. My order is Young (yes, he's under-sized for the position), Levis, Richardson, Stroud, and then Hooker.
I don’t think I’d squabble with your order much at all. At the same time, in a group where each of the 5 have legitimate risk concerns, I may prop AR up to being even the top guy on my board. If I’m picking through risky product, I want to zone in on the one with the greatest upside since I’m taking on risk in all choices. If I’m QB desperate I think my real choice right now is to trade out from the top with the hopes of getting more draft capital for next year’s draft. I want a 2024 draft asset laden deal for me to look at Caleb Williams or Maye from NC next year. I’m thinking of a squad like Indy here.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think I’d squabble with your order much at all. At the same time, in a group where each of the 5 have legitimate risk concerns, I may prop AR up to being even the top guy on my board. If I’m picking through risky product, I want to zone in on the one with the greatest upside since I’m taking on risk in all choices. If I’m QB desperate I think my real choice right now is to trade out from the top with the hopes of getting more draft capital for next year’s draft. I want a 2024 draft asset laden deal for me to look at Caleb Williams or Maye from NC next year. I’m thinking of a squad like Indy here.
You seem to be channeling Houston's POV here: If you're not 100% confident in the "Big 5", then go for a positional player. Much higher success rate. I think you run into major issues when you "force a pick" so to speak.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to be channeling Houston's POV here: If you're not 100% confident in the "Big 5", then go for a positional player. Much higher success rate. I think you run into major issues when you "force a pick" so to speak.
You run into issues both ways. Broncos really screwed up when they drafted Paxton Lynch but they also weren't successful drafting bpa and ignoring QB the years after that.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You run into issues both ways. Broncos really screwed up when they drafted Paxton Lynch but they also weren't successful drafting bpa and ignoring QB the years after that.
Fair point. At the same time, there’s no right path for a poor organization that continually makes poor evaluations at every position.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point. At the same time, there’s no right path for a poor organization that continually makes poor evaluations at every position.
I'd say you either need two of the following three: a top tier coach, a genius GM, or a franchise QB.

Will Anderson won't get you to the Super bowl but six picks of that caliber might

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OR...you need a little old fashion LUCK too.
I'd say 'and' you absolutely need a little old fashioned luck.

The point of doing everything else is to minimize the amount of luck you need imo

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year the media circle jerk had moved Malik Willis into so many people saying top 10 pick. As we got closer to the draft you started hearing that maybe that wasn't the case. This year the media had kind of united by last week and many/most seemed to have 4 QBs going top 4 picks. I've seen many of them even starting to put a 5th QB into the first round. But as we start getting closer and closer you're starting to hear from insiders instead of analysts, guys that aren't guessing themselves but revealing bits and pieces of what their team may be thinking. And it's starting to look like the circle jerk artificially inflated the QBs values again. Many hints here and there that we won't see 4 QBs in the top 4 picks, and may not see 4 QBs in the top 20 picks.

Could all be disinformation and lies coming from teams this time of the year, but it is something to take note of.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryce's height is still a thing for me to be honest, but hey, Drew Brees was a successful shorty, so I guess it could work (anyone who believes Brees was 6' tall is lying lol)...
His height doesn't worry me as much as his frame. Dude's basically got my bone structure, and I should not be playing football.

That's my only worry with him, but it's a big worry. Guys in the NFL are fast and punishing. Just one little lapse and he gets hammered.

Stroud doesn't strike me as particularly sharp - never mind the supposed test results, you can listen to his interviews - but he strikes me as somebody who has a ton of talent, pays attention, applies what he heard, and works hard. He'll probably never be as creative as Young, but with the right team he wouldn't have to be.

I don't think Levis is anything special. He can be a middling NFL QB maybe.

Richardson is obviously the wild card, but so far I see a savvy elite athlete who is playing his cards well leading up to the draft, more than I see an NFL QB. Depends how serious he will be at working hard and learning and developing technique, and I can't tell so far, which isn't a great sign.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say you either need two of the following three: a top tier coach, a genius GM, or a franchise QB.

Will Anderson won't get you to the Super bowl but six picks of that caliber might
We all understand that QBs are more valuable than any other position. But I believe the point is about comfort level. Drafts are all about projections and finding players they feel will fit their schemes. High stakes poker. If you draft a QB high, particularly in the first round, he better be ABOVE AVERAGE. For example, does anybody here think Zach Wilson is a better NFL player than Ja'Marr Chase?

Lets look at the top quarterbacks today. Mahomes - Compared to Jay Cutler. Was originally ranked as a late first round to second round guy. Was criticized heavily for his mechanical issues and being a turnover machine. Allen - Criticized for putting up mediocre numbers in his final season at Wyoming and being wildly inconsistent with his accuracy. Hurts -- drafted in the second round, 5th QB taken. Benched at Alabama for struggling during the National Championship game. Played 2nd fiddle to Tua, and then transferred to Oklahoma. Burrow was drafted #1 and has yet to disappoint.

Mahomes, Allen, and Hurts all went to functioning NFL teams with plenty of pieces around them. If you look at my Bills, they went with Tyrod Taylor in the rookie season for McDermott and Bean and didn't draft a QB. They waited until year 2 to roll the dice.

I don't believe the Texans, Colts or Raiders should be FORCED to take a QB. But they will have to address it sometime. Definitely by year 3.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say 'and' you absolutely need a little old fashioned luck.

The point of doing everything else is to minimize the amount of luck you need imo
You never know. Most have been coddled from JR High on. Some don't respond so well when the playing field is level. Hard to measure heart and desire.

QB REACH IS IN PLAY AGAIN.