• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 MLB Draft July 17-19 - An Extensive Look At Top Draft Prospects

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the team probably isn't going to make the playoffs anyway (and shouldn't even be shooting for that) who gives a damn about what the date is. If you have the chance to improve the outlook of the team while using up some of the teams fodder why the hell not...

And not all trades should be viewed in the prism of helping right now you have to keep the farm stocked for the future 3-4 years down the road. The team went all in before and completely screwed themselves cause the cupboard was empty when refills were needed...

If he continues to eat innings and keeps his era under 3.50-4 why not offer 3 years at somewhere around $10-13 with incentives for ERA, wins, innings pitched, etc...

Another player like Perez wouldn't be a bad thing for 1-2 years if you thing the younguns are going to pan out. If you don't think they will then there are some good names available or may be available if they opt out or options aren't picked up...

And don't forget about off season trades we picked up Hamilton that way and got rid of A-Wad...

I would imagine a couple of pitching rich teams have 1-2 pitchers they may not have room for on their rosters next year and would like to get something out of them. The team looks like it's going to have to free up some 40 man roster spots so using some of that fodder and a few decent prospects sprinkled in the mix to get a few good pitching prospects that maybe could be used next year isn't a bad thing...
Based on what you said, how do you see the makeup of the rotation in 2025? How many current pitchers and pitching prospects do you see in that rotation and which ones? How many future acquisitions do you see as part of the 5 nan rotation in 2025?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s become a true playoff team and then spend on this as a finishing piece.
We have a ways to go. This team with one ri losses does not even know how to win the close games. To me it is obvious. Winning bulldog mentality is not there yet
We also don't know if we have an ace already yet.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if he wants 3 or 4 years? What do we do to get to Leiter and Rocker? Depend on Winn, Dunning and Otto to go with Gray and some guy we can sign to a one year deal?

at 31 years old, if Perez would be willing to only do 3 years you sign that shit yesterday.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids, comebacks, Kumar and all the top moments from Day 1 of Draft

1. We Will Rock You
With the Orioles still seriously considering five different players at No. 1 in the final days leading up to the Draft, it was a given that the top of the first round would feature some surprises. But Kumar Rocker going at No. 3 overall to the Rangers was a true shocker.

Rocker had famously been taken by the Mets at No. 10 overall a year ago, only for talks to break down over injury concerns. He had a shoulder scope last fall and then pitched 20 innings over five starts for the Tri-City ValleyCats of the independent Frontier League this year and posted a 1.35 ERA with an 8.0 strikeout-to-walk ratio. With Rocker’s fastball hitting 99 mph and his slider moving well, he was destined to get selected in the first round again. But most mocks had him going in the middle of the round, at the highest.

Instead, the Rangers made him the first pitcher taken in this Draft, despite the medical history.

“We’re extremely comfortable with the medical review that our medical team has done,” Rangers general manager Chris Young told reporters. “We're very comfortable with the medical review and that's why we drafted him.”

Texas must've been comfortable with that medical review, because within hours of making the pick, the Rangers and Rocker were in agreement on a contract with a $5.2 million bonus, a source told MLB Pipeline's Jim Callis.

In grabbing Rocker early, the Rangers reunite him with his Vanderbilt teammate Jack Leiter, who went No. 2 overall a year ago. At times early in 2021, there was healthy debate as to whether Leiter or Rocker would go No. 1 overall. Now, Texas has both pitchers and is putting a clear organizational emphasis on power starting pitching.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at 31 years old, if Perez would be willing to only do 3 years you sign that shit yesterday.
If you sign him for 3 years is that the extent of your starting pitching acquisitions for awhile or would you pursue another long term starter within the next year?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, 2025 rotation.

Gray is signed through 2025.
Perez if given an extension
Leiter
Rocker

That leaves one space for either a trade acquisition, a free agent, Winn, or White. It also doesn't include having any other pitcher in our system deserving a chance at that 2025 rotation whoever it may be.

With that in mind, would it be a mistake to go out and trade for a pitcher at the deadline?

Does that change anyone's mind about needing to extend Perez, because he will most likely want a 3 to 5 year deal?

Should we pursue a free agent pitcher this coming offseason?
rather see that 5th starter filled by Winn or White or Ragans

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you sign him for 3 years is that the extent of your starting pitching acquisitions for awhile or would you pursue another long term starter within the next year?

"within the next year" is an important qualifier there. mostly because I am not familiar with who will be available in that time frame and if they are worth pursuing long term, and where a few guys they already have are in development.

in general, I wouldn't say that signing Perez stops them from signing another SP. But if they do, they'll have to close the books on someone they already have (Otto, Howard, Hearn, etc).

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what you said, how do you see the makeup of the rotation in 2025? How many current pitchers and pitching prospects do you see in that rotation and which ones? How many future acquisitions do you see as part of the 5 nan rotation in 2025?
I don't think anybodies crystal ball is that good to see that far into the future, a lot of things can and will happen between now and then, injuries, trades, lack of performance. About the only thing you can say right now "semi for sure" is Gray is signed thru 2025, but that could change at anytime depending on the FO mindset...

We should always have a couple of veteran innings eaters to anchor the rotation and a couple in the pen to teach the younguns until the time comes the younguns become the vets and kick them to the curb, an ongoing cycle that should never stop within the organization. Guys you plan on removing from this years/ next years/ the year after that teams should be used to acquire guys to hopefully contribute 3-5 years from that point. Constantly refilling the cupboard so to speak, the perennially better teams are constantly doing that...

Looking at the current situation of pitching/position players in the minors we have probably 3-4 guys (maybe more) each year who should get a shot at filling a spot on the club. There should always be a rotation of pieces/players coming and going year after year to keep the team fresh...

Me personally I don't have any favorites I would like to see in the rotation or guys that I see in the minors (or on other teams) who are "can't miss" prospects, I don't believe in "can't miss". (How many prospects have you seen that were projected to kill it and stunk and how many that nobody expected anything of overachieved)? Some of them will get their shot and they will either succeed or fail it's as simple as that, and life will go on. That being said I would love to see the rotation/pen/fielders with a good amount of younger hungry guys who can adequately do their job and give the team a chance to win it all some day...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"within the next year" is an important qualifier there. mostly because I am not familiar with who will be available in that time frame and if they are worth pursuing long term, and where a few guys they already have are in development.

in general, I wouldn't say that signing Perez stops them from signing another SP. But if they do, they'll have to close the books on someone they already have (Otto, Howard, Hearn, etc).
with at least the 3 you listed taken into account i would close the books on all 3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes. i see us extending Perez so:

Gray
Perez
Leiter
Rocker
Winn or White or Ragans

oh i also see us signing a couple of bullpen arms
Here's hoping

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
between Gray and Perez they are going to be our inning eaters.

An innings eater is a guy that will give you at least 5 or 6 innings reliably but probably will give up 4 or 5 runs in most cases.

Perez and Gray are guys that can and should be throwing quality starts the majority of the time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they do, they'll have to close the books on someone they already have (Otto, Howard, Hearn, etc).
I expect that to happen within the next couple of years and most likely on Dunning as well. One or more of those guys may make a good bullpen piece.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect that to happen within the next couple of years and most likely on Dunning as well. One or more of those guys may make a good bullpen piece.

that's where I'm at. it'll probably take a couple of years for all the pieces to fall in place