• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 MLB Draft July 17-19 - An Extensive Look At Top Draft Prospects

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
assume that means they didn't want to waste time. remember they had Tom representing them at the draft and they might have been afraid he would fall asleep and not get the card in on time

well my takeaway was that Rocker was their guy all along.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes. i see us extending Perez so:

Gray
Perez
Leiter
Rocker
Winn or White or Ragans

oh i also see us signing a couple of bullpen arms
Don’t know if Lieter going to be ready. He’s having issues at AA.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great discussion about the rotation, guys. Thanks for the input.

The Rocker pick shook up the draft, but I think it shakes up our discussion about the Rangers future rotation as well. Actually, I guess it shakes up the discussion about the future club in general. I think future pursuits may gravitate a little more to the offensive side than we thought would be the case 24 hours ago.

Whatever we think of them, I think the Rangers see the former Vandy duo as being 40% of our rotation of the near future.
Strange but I thought how nice if we hired the pitching coach that helped developed these two guys. (Dreaming)

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Lucas' take:

Purely in terms of talent and performance, Rocker is as good as anyone in the draft and justifies the pick. At his best last spring, he was appointment viewing, even more so than Jack Leiter. The questions are whether that talent and his health will persist after a shoulder issue that resulted in surgery last September. Texas went all-in on a positive outlook. It's a daring, thrilling pick.

Everyone else available had their own risks. Elijah Green could be hitting .220/.260/.420 with a 35% strikeout rate in AA in 2027. Kevin Parada could have the bat of a 4th OF and no defensive value. Brooks Lee could end up being just okay, a little bland, and has his own dicey injury history. If that sounds harsh, peruse any previous draft list. It's carnage. The consensus top arm in 2015 was our dear friend Dillon Tate. The next three pitchers off the board: Tyler Jay (pitching in indy ball), Carson Fullmer (closer... for the OKC Dodgers), and Kolby Allard. Calling the draft a crap shoot is unfair, but variances in outcomes are extreme.

After the 2021 debacle, Rocker had shoulder surgery (described in multiple outlets as "minor," but still, shoulder surgery), worked out, and eventually joined indy Tri-City of the Frontier League. In five starts, Rocker posted a 1.35 ERA with two homers, four walks, and 32 strikeouts in 20 innings. The quality of the league is perhaps a high-variance version of low-A. That's just a guess. The average age of a hitter is 25.8. Just picking players at random, I see a fair number of late-round college guys who perhaps had some success in short-A, some who reached the upper minors, others who never played affiliated ball. More to the point, reviews of his performance were strong. He sat mid-90s, touched 99. His wipeout slider is intact. His delivery is tighter, at a lower slot.

My expectation is management selected who they wanted most, irrespective of the parent club's situation, but that said, Rocker could progress quickly and obviously would fill a present need. Rocker isn't a pick to be traded or tested in the outfield because of Corey Seager. I'd read suggestions that had he fallen to a contending team, he could have been prepped for a 2022 MLB debut in relief. That situation doesn't apply here. His pro debut could be in Arizona, but as for later, we'll see. Frisco seems certain at some point.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that they've gone and done this (Rocker) you have to wonder if they're not going to take a flier on Joey...

:behindsofa:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One name to keep in mind for rounds 5 through 7 is Trey Lipscomb a 3B from Tennessee.

As a 22-year-old Senior, Trey Lipscomb doesn’t have a lot of leverage when it comes to draft negotiations. But when you hit .355/.428/.717 with 22 HR and 84 RBI against quality college opponents, that draws attention to Lipscomb for teams hoping to add an advanced bat into their farm system.

Watching Lipscomb throughout the season, I’m most impressed by his power to right-center field. He has an excellent swing path with the barrel whipping through the zone.

Again, Lipscomb is on the older side but is worth a $500,000 bonus to prove he can still swing a hot bat in the minors.

Lipscomb, a bit of a pop-up this season after largely being a part-time player his first three years on campus, has shown flashes of brilliance for the Volunteers this season. He's blistered the baseball at times, and has the versatility to play all over the infield. Scouts will want to see a more extended look at third base, his likely eventual home. Lipscomb is believed to be an average defender with an average arm for the position, but it the bat breaks through like it has at times in 2022, someone will find a spot for him in the lineup.
Lipscomb goes early in the 3rd round.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it mentioned that Rocker is likely the last draft pick born during the 20th century.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers pick is in. Brock Porter it is.