• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA offseason

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!? You literally posted the difference in post #4261.

I realize that you are struggling with the fact that Lebron came to the Lakers without another max player (which you said will never happen) and that the Lakers didn't immediately trade all of their young assets (which you assured us would happen) and that he signed a longer deal than he was ever willing to in Cleveland.

To be fair, no one thought he was coming to the Lakers without another max guy, but you were the most adamant that it wouldn't happen.
hey i totally admit- i didnt think he would go there alone. I was DEFINITELY wrong about that.

but as to my question....

You have LeBron still in his prime (for at least another year or two). Is that title or bust?

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's cool peeps.

Ps. Calling someone butthurt has to be the least lethal form of
" attacking ".

Toughen up, it's just trash talk.

I like the contrary version of Shopson.

Makes for a fun debate.

So, Don't go peeing on anyone's leg for taunting your cyber-bae..lol
Hey, hey, hey! Stop peeing in my cheerios!!!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that you can't even understand the difference of him being in Cle vs. LA tells me this conversation is over.

#TimeVindicates

Look at the roster he took to the finals last year and compare that to this year's Lakers.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Butler actually really fits the mold of what it looks like the Lakers are trying to build, in terms of competing with the Warriors. Of course they will go after Klay too and he should be the priority over Butler. Then you have Kawhi, but you don't know what's going to happen based on where he is traded to. If he goes to say the Sixers, the chances he might leave for LA become that much more diminished based on their success.

I think they'll make it a priority to go after JB though, unless there is conclusive evidence they have to think Klay will make the move. The reason is, you can't prioritize Klay and then use Butler as a backup in case he doesn't want to come. That will eliminate to options at the very start.
I think its a fait accompli that Kyrie and Butler team up with either the Bricks of the Nets....but we shall see.

As to Klay and Kawhi as i said.....

gun to my head I still think Kawhi goes to the *sixers because of (i) the package they can offer, (ii) it would get him out of the West, (iii) he is a perfect fit there, (iv) the Pop/Brown connection. At the very least they will get a last refusal right if the Spurs are going to make a deal.

As for Klay- I think always thought he was going to leave for more money. A few months ago I put a 10% chance on him staying and was told I was an idiot. After seeing Oklahoma City now carrying the LARGEST PAYROLL IN NBA HISTORY, I am gonna walk it back a LITTLE bit, as it surprises me greatly a team will carry a $300M expenditure--- however, that being said- its only going to be 1 year for OKC as Anthony will be off the payroll after this year and it will be MUCH MUCH more reasonable next year. However, if they keep Klay, they can just let Draymond and Iggy walk the followign year and be in fine shape if they wanted to. I am just saying they cant keep all 4.....i think they would pick klay over draymond- dont you?

If I had a gun to my head I would guess that the Lakers will sign Cousins next offseason.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had a gun to my head I would guess that the Lakers will sign Cousins next offseason.

I was thinking that earlier today.

If he comes back and shows he's healthy....that would be a nice pickup on a 3-4 year deal.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he comes back and shows he's healthy....that would be a nice pickup on a 3-4 year deal.
I think its the most realistic.

I mean- who really knows- maybe Butler AND Klay go there. Its impossible to know so far out.

But just reading the tea leaves at this point i think, as i said- that Kyrie and Butler will team up in NY or Brooklyn, that the Sixers will trade for and retain Leonard, and that the Warriors will prioritize Klay, and let Draymond and Iggy leave the following year and move forward with a core of Klay, Durant, and Curry.

That leaves Cousins and i think Cousins would sign a max contract in LA if he was offered.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And we know how Cousins thinks - if they passed on giving him the chance to prove himself this season why would he go there next season when he's fully healthy? I wouldn't be surprised if he plays somewhere else just to spite them.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we know how Cousins thinks - if they passed on giving him the chance to prove himself this season why would he go there next season when he's fully healthy? I wouldn't be surprised if he plays somewhere else just to spite them.

I'd rather he did. I don't want that cancer anywhere near the Lakers young core.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its a fait accompli that Kyrie and Butler team up with either the Bricks of the Nets....but we shall see.

As to Klay and Kawhi as i said.....

gun to my head I still think Kawhi goes to the *sixers because of (i) the package they can offer, (ii) it would get him out of the West, (iii) he is a perfect fit there, (iv) the Pop/Brown connection. At the very least they will get a last refusal right if the Spurs are going to make a deal.

As for Klay- I think always thought he was going to leave for more money. A few months ago I put a 10% chance on him staying and was told I was an idiot.
After seeing Oklahoma City now carrying the LARGEST PAYROLL IN NBA HISTORY, I am gonna walk it back a LITTLE bit, as it surprises me greatly a team will carry a $300M expenditure--- however, that being said- its only going to be 1 year for OKC as Anthony will be off the payroll after this year and it will be MUCH MUCH more reasonable next year. However, if they keep Klay, they can just let Draymond and Iggy walk the followign year and be in fine shape if they wanted to. I am just saying they cant keep all 4.....i think they would pick klay over draymond- dont you?

You weren't being called an idiot for saying Klay would leave, it was because of the certainty with which you placed him leaving. I said there was not only a possibility of Klay taking a discount, but also just the Warriors actually spending the money to pay the luxury tax to keep the team together.

Just like you said you're walking back what you're saying because of what the Thunder are doing and like many of us said it's not about whether the Warriors can or cannot, it's whether or not they will or won't. They have the means, it's just if they are willing to do it.

When it comes to Klay and Draymond, unfortunately it's not a matter of who the team prefers, it's about what Klay is going to do. Since his free agency is up first, they'll have to see what kind of contract Klay wants and then take it from there. I think personally, the Warriors would much rather keep Draymond than Klay. You can find cheap knockoff versions of Klay in the NBA, and although they're not anywhere near his value level, there's not a single player in the NBA who can replicate what Draymond does for this team. Outside of losing Draymond for a guy with another skill set like an AD, I would think Draymond would be preferable to keep.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!? You literally posted the difference in post #4261.

I realize that you are struggling with the fact that Lebron came to the Lakers without another max player (which you said will never happen) and that the Lakers didn't immediately trade all of their young assets (which you assured us would happen) and that he signed a longer deal than he was ever willing to in Cleveland.

To be fair, no one thought he was coming to the Lakers without another max guy, but you were the most adamant that it wouldn't happen.
So you posted this about LeBron back in 2017.

"Yes. The instant Lebron agreed to return to Cleveland, the Cavs became championship or bust every season he is there. He's closer to the end of his career than the beginning and his legacy is extremely important to him. Legacies are built on rings and Lebron doesn't have enough yet. It's why he made sure Wiggins was shipped off to Minny for Love and why he's cried all season long about not having enough help."

""Not even close. I realize "The Land" wears losing like a badge of honor, but 2-4 or 2-5 in the finals isn't even close to successful on a major level. It's "Championship or bust" not "Runner up or bust."

So, in LA, are you saying its not title or bust because they arent that good this year? What makes it different in LA then in Cleveland?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its the most realistic.

I mean- who really knows- maybe Butler AND Klay go there. Its impossible to know so far out.

But just reading the tea leaves at this point i think, as i said- that Kyrie and Butler will team up in NY or Brooklyn, that the Sixers will trade for and retain Leonard, and that the Warriors will prioritize Klay, and let Draymond and Iggy leave the following year and move forward with a core of Klay, Durant, and Curry.

That leaves Cousins and i think Cousins would sign a max contract in LA if he was offered.

I think Green is more important to GS than Thompson. Green facilitates that offense more than anybody else....Thompson is a very nice shooter and defender but I think he's more replaceable than Green. Just my 2 cents.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You weren't being called an idiot for saying Klay would leave, it was because of the certainty with which you placed him leaving. I said there was not only a possibility of Klay taking a discount, but also just the Warriors actually spending the money to pay the luxury tax to keep the team together.

Just like you said you're walking back what you're saying because of what the Thunder are doing and like many of us said it's not about whether the Warriors can or cannot, it's whether or not they will or won't. They have the means, it's just if they are willing to do it.

When it comes to Klay and Draymond, unfortunately it's not a matter of who the team prefers, it's about what Klay is going to do. Since his free agency is up first, they'll have to see what kind of contract Klay wants and then take it from there. I think personally, the Warriors would much rather keep Draymond than Klay. You can find cheap knockoff versions of Klay in the NBA, and although they're not anywhere near his value level, there's not a single player in the NBA who can replicate what Draymond does for this team. Outside of losing Draymond for a guy with another skill set like an AD, I would think Draymond would be preferable to keep.
Klay is my favorite player in the NBA but this is spot on

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@msgkings322 @CitySushi

% chance that for the 2019-2020 season that Klay is a Warrior.

I am saying 25%

I'm saying it's close to 90%. You may think that's crazy, but here's my logic behind it:

Even if the Warriors have to max Klay to keep him, they do it. The reason they do it is because in the worst case scenario they get to be competitive for another championship for an additional year and pay the luxury tax, and then move him the following off-season, via trade.

Klay is not the type of player, who outside of injury, whose value will diminish. He'll always have suitors and there are plenty of teams around the league that would readily give up assets to acquire him. Next year he'll be one of the top 3 free agents in the NBA, with every team in the NBA willing to give the max to him to get him.

So even if the Warriors decide that long term they cannot keep him, there's no reason to not give him the contract first to be competitive one more year with Draymond under contract that season and give this core one last run. After that they can decide what they want to do with Klay and Draymond and what's feasible for them financially.

Lastly, and MOST importantly imo, is that 2020 is the year that they're set to move into the Chase Center Arena. They'll need all the momentum they can get to keep up the hype of the new arena and fill up all the personal seat licensing and secure endorsement deals. There's so much money to be had if the Warriors are the actual defending champions while moving into there, instead of just another top tier contender.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying it's close to 90%. You may think that's crazy, but here's my logic behind it:

Even if the Warriors have to max Klay to keep him, they do it. The reason they do it is because in the worst case scenario they get to be competitive for another championship for an additional year and pay the luxury tax, and then move him the following off-season, via trade.

Klay is not the type of player, who outside of injury, whose value will diminish. He'll always have suitors and there are plenty of teams around the league that would readily give up assets to acquire him. Next year he'll be one of the top 3 free agents in the NBA, with every team in the NBA willing to give the max to him to get him.

So even if the Warriors decide that long term they cannot keep him, there's no reason to not give him the contract first to be competitive one more year with Draymond under contract that season and give this core one last run. After that they can decide what they want to do with Klay and Draymond and what's feasible for them financially.

Lastly, and MOST importantly imo, is that 2020 is the year that they're set to move into the Chase Center Arena. They'll need all the momentum they can get to keep up the hype of the new arena and fill up all the personal seat licensing and secure endorsement deals. There's so much money to be had if the Warriors are the actual defending champions while moving into there, instead of just another top tier contender.
that actually seems sensible.

Sign Klay to the max...let them play together for all this year and all next year, and then kick the decision down the line until Draymond is a free agent.

If they absolutely cant make it work then just trade Klay for a handful of assets, and resign Draymond- or if they can make it work financially (which will be very very difficult) just keep them both.

So...I think that makes a lot of sense and should let them keep it together for 2 more years.

I dont think the Warriors Big 4 will be together for more than 2 more years. I think that is is EXTREMELY unlikely it goes for more than 2 years.

Which is fine, because by then LeBron will be going into his age 36 season and will be majorly behind the 8 ball to everwin it all again at that age unless he gets major major help.

I have to say- I will dEFINITELY be rooting for the Warriors if they play the Lakers in a playoff series. LOL......

thats fine with me.....2 more years of having the Warriors together until they have to make a decision on Draymond.....at taht time they just trade Klay....it makes a lot of sense all the way around.

Klay gets 2 more years at the minimum in GSW......and if GSW has to move him because of financial implications they can at least get signifincant assets back.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that actually seems sensible.

Sign Klay to the max...let them play together for all this year and all next year, and then kick the decision down the line until Draymond is a free agent.

If they absolutely cant make it work then just trade Klay for a handful of assets, and resign Draymond- or if they can make it work financially (which will be very very difficult) just keep them both.

So...I think that makes a lot of sense and should let them keep it together for 2 more years.

I dont think the Warriors Big 4 will be together for more than 2 more years. I think that is is EXTREMELY unlikely it goes for more than 2 years.

Which is fine, because by then LeBron will be going into his age 36 season and will be majorly behind the 8 ball to everwin it all again at that age unless he gets major major help.

I have to say- I will dEFINITELY be rooting for the Warriors if they play the Lakers in a playoff series. LOL......

thats fine with me.....2 more years of having the Warriors together until they have to make a decision on Draymond.....at taht time they just trade Klay....it makes a lot of sense all the way around.

Klay gets 2 more years at the minimum in GSW......and if GSW has to move him because of financial implications they can at least get signifincant assets back.
Why do you prefer the Warriors over the Lakers?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you prefer the Warriors over the Lakers?
because fuck LeBron.

I am glad he is likely to never win another title. He just purposefully burned one of his last prime years to get some hype for his movie career.

Apparently "title or bust" turned into "oscar or bust"

lol