• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Devils Draft Thread

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For those of you adamant that the Devils need to draft forwards to succeed: Dallas was a top offensive team last year with only two of their top 10 scoring forwards drafted by Dallas. Those forwards were a 4th rd pick and a 5th round pick.

Its still possible to build a good forward core though trades and FA. The main issue is that you need talented players to trade for talented players

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i'm shocked i didn't realize dallas was that high in goals scored @ #2.

that being said though spezza and seguin are top picks not just by dallas. 54 goals they both scored and had a hand in 139 of them. jamie benn is a beast and drafted in the 5th round but they hit the proverbial draft lotto when they got him.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We all would prefer a forward, but you draft the best player available no matter what position.
The Devils do not have a defenseman like Provorov. If you can pick up a player like Doughty, Leetch or even Zubov, you do it.
A guy like that can quarterback the powerplay for years to come.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all would prefer a forward, but you draft the best player available no matter what position.
The Devils do not have a defenseman like Provorov. If you can pick up a player like Doughty, Leetch or even Zubov, you do it.

I wouldn't hate it. Would mean that some of the guys we have here need to go though. It's not just about addressing our offensive woes now, we don't have anything really in the system. Sure Matteau, Boucher, Quenneville etc. can be quality players but I think 2nd line is the ceiling for pretty much all of those guys. At some point we need a 1st line talent in here.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hear you. Draft or trades hopefully get that first line offensive talent. Or go after one of the RFAs.

I see teams with guys like Erik Karlsson, Doughty, and wish the Devils had somebody like that. Those types of players are just as rare as a first line forward.

Still hope Boucher scores like he did with Sarnia and one day is that 1st line forward. Hopefully he works as hard over the summer like Gomez did last season. I think the guy has the hands to score in this league, just needs to work plus get that confidence.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it makes others tradeable...for forwards or whatever your heart desires

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah after reading that i'm link i'm convinced more now then ever the devils won't move their pick.

i think they will "reach" a little bit and draft a forward even if there is a d man on the board that is the BPA. since everyone in this draft is labeled "legit" prospect i doubt they would mind drafting a forward who could turn into the next say kessel type talent 30g 70pts level player. even though this d man could be the next doughty and thats sexy and all and every team would love that. you gotta think the kids you drafted already on the blue line are going to be the next doughty.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Would be great news if Marner fell to number 6. Maybe his size will scare the teams below the Devils.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be great news if Marner fell to number 6. Maybe his size will scare the teams below the Devils.

He would be my ideal pick. I figure at least one team ahead of us will go D (likely Phoenix since they're loaded up front). If by some miracle Carolina went D then Marner would fall to us.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can swayed from one prospect to another, maybe except dman at this time lol, looks like a good group of legit/potential prospects after the first two.

I'm still on scorer but playmakers are just as good... again I could go back n forth with these prospects... I almost want the devils to trade back in with Larsson and next years #1(if not another good draft to get back into the top 15... which is unlikely

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah after reading that i'm link i'm convinced more now then ever the devils won't move their pick.

i think they will "reach" a little bit and draft a forward even if there is a d man on the board that is the BPA. since everyone in this draft is labeled "legit" prospect i doubt they would mind drafting a forward who could turn into the next say kessel type talent 30g 70pts level player. even though this d man could be the next doughty and thats sexy and all and every team would love that. you gotta think the kids you drafted already on the blue line are going to be the next doughty.

The problem I have is that all of the next tier forwards have issues that haven't been answered in their draft year. Crouse didn't put up points, Barzal has issues scoring goals, Zacha didn't put up points and was injured, Rantanen is coming from Europe so he wasn't given much ice time to prove anything, and Connor is coming out of the USHL.

Provorov, Marner, and Hanifin are the only guys without the question marks and Strome has known issues that can be worked out with some extra time in jrs.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i agree i would like him too. i have no problem with his size and i did read that carolina does have a "smallish" forward group so maybe they shy away from him and go defense? which wouldn't be that crazy since i can't really think of any good defensemen they have

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah i was really hoping that during the deadline we could've squeezed someone's 1st in this draft. or heck even last year make a move to get another for this draft.

course just seems like a jessiman fiasco from 03 to me. game is getting smaller and faster. as much as i like him we really dont need a lucic with the #6 pick. the other guys to be honest i haven't really read much up on but him and miko ritatetan (bad speller) i think he put up something like 12 goals this year in finnland? that definitely scares me and i know its against men but still just something that you have to factor in. but when you factor in that these same worries and problems were with a player like landeskog you definitely take it wiht a grain of salt. it will definitely be interesting and i'm glad we will be "rewarded" for having such a shit year in a couple weeks.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder if we'll have whoever we draft stay in JRs. We don't want to become the oilers after all.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder if we'll have whoever we draft stay in JRs. We don't want to become the oilers after all.

I hope so. All the players need extra work before they make the NHL with the exception of maybe Hanifin.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coyotes apparently are open to moving the number 3 pick. Get creative Shero, grab that pick without coughing up our first this year. Start with a package of Camm, one of our starters on D, one of our prospects on D and then start throwing around some 2nd/3rd rounders.