• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 Trade Deadline Deals

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started a thread--Versteeg for Zykov + conditional 5th round pick

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im curious to see where he fits in when Gabs comes back

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im curious to see where he fits in when Gabs comes back

He will be a B6 guy, my guess is the third line but that is assuming Gaborik is even back. The earliest they said he would be back is the playoffs, that's not a guarantee. Versteeg may be slotted in the T6 throughout the playoffs.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an article over the weekend where Chiarelli has seen enough in Edmonton and is ready to cut bait with a lot of players. Of course McDavid is not on that list but essentially anyone else is - Schultz was moved this weekend, Purcell too, both of whom the Edmonton Journal called "soft" (same thing I said about Purcell when he was moved from here 5 years ago - not willing to go to dirty areas and it showed so I was really hoping the Kings would not get him. Played every line in LA from 1-4 and simply did not play the way the Kings needed him to on any line). The culture there is about to change and if you don't fit that mold it's time to say goodbye.

That said, looking at some of their players, Eberle is a guy I would want the Kings to target - 25, T6 forward but he also makes $6 million a year for the next 3 years. Maybe Dumbo could move Brown and his contract and maybe sweeten the deal a bit and land a player like that.

Wishful thinking I know, but with the Gabork injury the offense needs some help as well as the defense, so I guess it comes down to which position is more important for this run that won't break the bank.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the link, pretty neat to see what goes on in a GM's head during this madness.

Loved the fact that he leveraged Bowman, knowing he was getting Ladd but waiting on the deal to fall in place weeks later. Those few weeks opened up cap room for the Hawks and BOOM, Dumbo says now you have it so you need to eat 50% so you're not in a bind with Scuderi next season.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that everyone still thinks the Kings got screwed on every deal they make. The Kings know their system and know what to look for in a player to fit that system.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be a B6 guy, my guess is the third line but that is assuming Gaborik is even back. The earliest they said he would be back is the playoffs, that's not a guarantee. Versteeg may be slotted in the T6 throughout the playoffs.

I would hope Brown will end up b6. Versteeg might actually be a good fit with Kopi and Lucic

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope Brown will end up b6. Versteeg might actually be a good fit with Kopi and Lucic

Fully agree. Nice call. Hope Darrell sees it that way. Would be an exciting line.
Kopitar needs someone who can put the puck in the net--that's not the Captain...

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't even think about that, forgot that slug is on the top line now with Gaborik hurt. Would much rather have him there than on the third line.

Pretty sure this season is the icing on the "Dustin Brown is done" argument. Great job being a banger for almost $6 million, the dude needs to go ASAP. The Kings are handcuffed beyond belief with that contract sitting on the books.

At the funeral this weekend, saw a cousin (through Mrs. Puck) and her dad, who is from Pittsburgh so a huge Penguins fan and also an LA King fan. Of course we started talking, and he is of the Brown is untouchable school of thought because of who he is, what he has done, etc. We had some good debate going back and forth but he zipped up when (politely) I said "don't confuse your heart with reality".

I asked him what did you think of Mike Richards, and he said immediately oh he had to go because he made too much money for what he brought. I confirmed he was talking stats and I said did you know Richards has actually averaged more points than Brown has the last 3 years (34 vs 31) and that's including Richards' stint in the minors and not on an NHL roster (meaning he has played less NHL games)? I didn't even go into the 2 years prior for Brown where it was obvious his game was going south, just the last 3 years.

Zero response. This is the type of blind loyalty that I hate from any fan, let alone a Kings fan. The guy is unproductive, extremely expensive and intangibles are not worth what he is being paid (same thing for Richards to me). Seeing Brown develop from shy dolt to two time Cup champ captain was awesome, so were the big hits and I commend him for what he has done in the LA community. But those days are long gone and he is what he is now - a B6 guy making almost 4 times as much as he should be.

Any type of cap relief from moving him would be huge for the Kings moving forward adjusting their roster.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fully agree with above. Brown's salary vs production has to be among the worst in the league.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Didn't even think about that, forgot that slug is on the top line now with Gaborik hurt. Would much rather have him there than on the third line.

Pretty sure this season is the icing on the "Dustin Brown is done" argument. Great job being a banger for almost $6 million, the dude needs to go ASAP. The Kings are handcuffed beyond belief with that contract sitting on the books.

At the funeral this weekend, saw a cousin (through Mrs. Puck) and her dad, who is from Pittsburgh so a huge Penguins fan and also an LA King fan. Of course we started talking, and he is of the Brown is untouchable school of thought because of who he is, what he has done, etc. We had some good debate going back and forth but he zipped up when (politely) I said "don't confuse your heart with reality".

I asked him what did you think of Mike Richards, and he said immediately oh he had to go because he made too much money for what he brought. I confirmed he was talking stats and I said did you know Richards has actually averaged more points than Brown has the last 3 years (34 vs 31) and that's including Richards' stint in the minors and not on an NHL roster (meaning he has played less NHL games)? I didn't even go into the 2 years prior for Brown where it was obvious his game was going south, just the last 3 years.

Zero response. This is the type of blind loyalty that I hate from any fan, let alone a Kings fan. The guy is unproductive, extremely expensive and intangibles are not worth what he is being paid (same thing for Richards to me). Seeing Brown develop from shy dolt to two time Cup champ captain was awesome, so were the big hits and I commend him for what he has done in the LA community. But those days are long gone and he is what he is now - a B6 guy making almost 4 times as much as he should be.

Any type of cap relief from moving him would be huge for the Kings moving forward adjusting their roster.

I also completely agree with the Brown is done sentiment. Would love a GM to feel the way you your cousin does. That way the Kings could maximize a return for Brown.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would a buy out of Brown cost? What happens if they win the cup again this year. He becomes the most successful captain in team history.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would a buy out of Brown cost? What happens if they win the cup again this year. He becomes the most successful captain in team history.

He already is, unless you can remember a time when the Kings won 2 cups....but unless he is the driving force that wins that 3rd cup I doubt anyone's mind will be changed about him being paid to sometimes make a hit and not much else for 6mil. I wont deny everything he has done for the team and community but his cost is too high for what he does on the ice. You could replace him with just about anyone making 5mil less and probably get improved play

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Kings exercised a buyout (annual period is opens on June 15 or 48 hours after the SCF and runs to June 30 every year) he would cost a total of $26,500,000 and the Kings would have an annual buyout cost of $1,892,857 (actual cash he would receive) per year until 2028-29.

Hi cap hit would vary, but let's just say it's extremely ugly - the first two years would be under $775,000, the next year at $1.27 million, the next two at $2.27 million, the next 2 at $3.77 million and finally the last 7 years at $1.9 million.

Add them years up my friend...14 years of having him on the books. A buyout is the worst possible outcome of all the options.

He already is, unless you can remember a time when the Kings won 2 cups....but unless he is the driving force that wins that 3rd cup I doubt anyone's mind will be changed about him being paid to sometimes make a hit and not much else for 6mil. I wont deny everything he has done for the team and community but his cost is too high for what he does on the ice. You could replace him with just about anyone making 5mil less and probably get improved play

I agree, he already is the most successful captain in team history. He delivered on his responsibility not once but twice, and a third time would etch him into LA lore than will never be forgotten. He has been an exemplary teammate and community presence too, all around a good guy. No one can ever take that away from him.

Mother Time however has taken away any legitimate skill this guy has however, and as much as it was nice pre 2005 to see guys stay here and not have restrictions that all changed in 2005 with the CBA. It's always been a business but even more so the last 10 years - you cannot have dead money sitting on your books for too long because it effects the team years down the road. Case in point on Brown, you're looking at 14 years - I will be 54-55 years old when that contract comes off the books and will have 3 kids in college for perspective. The first Kings Cup will be about 17 years prior to that.

The contract was simply a mistake, and one of the worst Dumbo has ever written. I don't know what he was thinking. He loves his players who have been loyal, and it burned him on Richards and it looks like it'll burn him again on Brown unless he can do something to move him. Dumbo is an emotional guy and as passionate as these people are, making decisions based on that generally doesn't end up well.

And if a third Cup is won with him as the acting captain, even better - up went his trade value and therefore more suitors and Dumbo has more leverage to get a better deal. The best time to move Brown was summer 2012 or even summer 2014 after the second Cup; he wasn't nearly as integral but still had the Cup shine on him.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for moving Brown, because I do not believe that he is worth the money. But there is also that he is a King trough and through.
Can and get hired as the assistant of something or other until he is paid in full?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for moving Brown, because I do not believe that he is worth the money. But there is also that he is a King trough and through.
Can and get hired as the assistant of something or other until he is paid in full?

If guys like Luc Robitaille and Gretzky can get moved from LA, I am not sure why Brown would be any different.

Unfortunately NHL contracts cannot be restructured or voided - unless you're Mike Richards and do Mike Richards things - or anything like that, Brown cannot "convert" his salary into a staff/management role.