• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 Trade Deadline Deals

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If guys like Luc Robitaille and Gretzky can get moved from LA, I am not sure why Brown would be any different.

Unfortunately NHL contracts cannot be restructured or voided - unless you're Mike Richards and do Mike Richards things - or anything like that, Brown cannot "convert" his salary into a staff/management role.

You're right puck, but I really did not have an attachment to Gretzky. As for the Robitaille trade, I viewed it as highway robbery. The Kings got Tochett for him, who promptly stunk up the joint.
The point I was trying to make is that I hate to see him go for sentimental reasons, but go he must.
I know that he can't convert his salary, but if he retires and gets hired on in the office for the balance of his contract that's not really converting. It is shady to be sure, but I don't see why it is "illegal". Plenty of hockey players retire and then join the club in some other capacity.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key word there is "retire". If Dustin Brown were to all of a sudden quit hockey number one there will be cap recapture penalties, and number two the league will come down hard on the Kings six ways from Sunday. They nailed the Devils for the Kovalchuk fiasco, losing a 3rd round pick in 2011 and a 1st round pick in 2014 in addition to fines.

The Kings also just are exiting the whole Richards' situation, which can honestly be veiwed as cap circumvention just as much as a legitimate breach of contract. Would not be a good idea to have that stuff happen, that is just asking for the league to come down on LA because a lot of GMs felt LA got away with one.

Brown could just retire, in which case there would be cap recapture penalties based on when he retired but the remaining years of his deal would be off the books. That would benefit LA as well but they won't pay him the balance of that deal, there is no way any staff role in LA will pay $5.875 million.

He'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if he did that so I don't expect him to.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is a true Kings guy through and through then maybe he could retire. He may not get paid the $5 million plus per year but they can make the contract good through a lower salary. But that is just wishful thinking.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Brown would do that, no matter how loyal he is to the Kings. Robitaille bled purple and gold but left LA in 2001 for basically an extra $4.5 million to Detroit after a majority of his (then) 18 year career with the Kings.

These guys are loyal, but not stupid. They are one big hit away from never having this earning potential again and will not sacrifice that.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but after listening to a recent ATKM podcast, where Jesse interviewed a person who covers the Hawks about what to expect from Versteeg, I'm worried that Versteeg is going to end up on the same path as Anson Carter, Cliff Ronning, and the Mark Parrish's of past trades. Granted, the Kings are a much better team than what they were back then when those players were acquired. But I'm just worried Versteeg isn't going to help much.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think that the best way to look at Versteeg is that he will fill out the depth on the B6. He is a upgrade over some of the other B6 forwards we have. Once Gaborik comes back Versteeg wont be asked to play T6 role. I am not saying he is the answer or that he alone will help lift us over any PO opponent but he should help be a part of the whole puzzle.