• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 Los Angeles Lakers

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That Berger report, if true, should terrify every Lakers fan. Not just because keeping Scott, but because it would show just how petty Jeanie Buss is. She is suppose to be the rational one yet (again, if true) here she is, deliberately wasting yet another year with a lameduck coach with no chance to succeed just so she can get rid of her brother and bring in her boyfriend/fiance/zen partner/whatever they are in 2017. That's some low level Machiavellian bullshit and it'll piss away yet another year of vital development of the young players. Most all NBA players are who they are by year 3. It is absolutely essential they are developed well right now and you're gonna run the risk of pissing away another season just to get a guy in the front office you care about? This can't be true. This franchise is screwed for years to come if that's the kind ownership qualities we can expect. We'll be right there with Kings for most dysfunctional franchise.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Berger report, if true, should terrify every Lakers fan. Not just because keeping Scott, but because it would show just how petty Jeanie Buss is. She is suppose to be the rational one yet (again, if true) here she is, deliberately wasting yet another year with a lameduck coach with no chance to succeed just so she can get rid of her brother and bring in her boyfriend/fiance/zen partner/whatever they are in 2017. That's some low level Machiavellian bullshit and it'll piss away yet another year of vital development of the young players. Most all NBA players are who they are by year 3. It is absolutely essential they are developed well right now and you're gonna run the risk of pissing away another season just to get a guy in the front office you care about? This can't be true. This franchise is screwed for years to come if that's the kind ownership qualities we can expect. We'll be right there with Kings for most dysfunctional franchise.
That is a nightmare scenario for all laker fans if it happens. I don't want another 16 or 20 win year. 30 wins and growth of the youngsters would make me happy. I doubt Scott can coach this team to that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posted on the main board. I'm not buying these rumors just yet. It's low hanging fruit fueled by Jeanie and Phil's engagement and Phil being rumored to want out of New York.

Not saying it's not true, I hope it's not. Just not buying it yet. Similar to not buying into the "KD going to the Lakers" rumors from a couple of months ago.

This kind of thing just seems the opposite of what Jeanies reputation has been as far as how she conducts business. My guess is, if she is truly lobbying to keep Byron, it probably has more to do with who he is as a person and what he has meant to the Lakers in the past (those Showtime guys seem to still hold a little more sway than they probably should) than about wanting to get rid of her brother. She can do that pretty much anytime she wants.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted on the main board. I'm not buying these rumors just yet. It's low hanging fruit fueled by Jeanie and Phil's engagement and Phil being rumored to want out of New York.

Not saying it's not true, I hope it's not. Just not buying it yet. Similar to not buying into the "KD going to the Lakers" rumors from a couple of months ago.

This kind of thing just seems the opposite of what Jeanies reputation has been as far as how she conducts business. My guess is, if she is truly lobbying to keep Byron, it probably has more to do with who he is as a person and what he has meant to the Lakers in the past (those Showtime guys seem to still hold a little more sway than they probably should) than about wanting to get rid of her brother. She can do that pretty much anytime she wants.
I agree about the loyalty to the Showtimecguys.

If he is the coach, I agree it is about loyalty to the Showtime era guys.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I'm not sure I buy it either (or maybe its more I just hope its not true) because its so ridiculous. But that other scenario of Jeanie supporting Byron for who he is a person isn't all that comforting either. If she's going to step up to the plate, she needs to be way less sentimental and go with what's best for basketball.

He also wouldn't confirm that Byron still has a job which seems like an odd thing to do after you praise a guy. Basically Mitch's interview today was just one long patch of non committals and statements that cancel each other out. The only relevant thing he said was he, Jim, and Byron would meet sometime in the next 3 to 4 days to discuss Byron's future. Which I'm just like...wut? You've got 2 years on the history books with him. What more do you need? Make a decision one way or the other (scratch that. just fire him)

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well that will be just long enough for the quality names out there like thibs to be off the market. Teams like the Knicks, Kings etc have already made their firings and will be in hiring process during this week or 2 window. Luke Walton will be there due to playoff run but signs seem to point to Scott sticking around

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not sure I buy it either (or maybe its more I just hope its not true) because its so ridiculous. But that other scenario of Jeanie supporting Byron for who he is a person isn't all that comforting either. If she's going to step up to the plate, she needs to be way less sentimental and go with what's best for basketball.

I agree, but should have expanded a little more. I think it's about who he is and also that he really hasn't been given a fair chance. She is the one who is said to be most likely to run the team like Dr. Buss. He never had a problem getting rid of folks who didn't measure up, but he always gave everyone a fair chance. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Byron as a coach, no one was winning anything with the rosters he's been handed. I don't blame him for the losing. But what I do blame him for is the lack of improvement on defense. He said before the season that he would make defense a priority and we started the season 30th in defense and finished 30th in defense. At least we were consistent, I guess. :L

He also wouldn't confirm that Byron still has a job which seems like an odd thing to do after you praise a guy. Basically Mitch's interview today was just one long patch of non committals and statements that cancel each other out. The only relevant thing he said was he, Jim, and Byron would meet sometime in the next 3 to 4 days to discuss Byron's future. Which I'm just like...wut? You've got 2 years on the history books with him. What more do you need? Make a decision one way or the other (scratch that. just fire him)

I think the Lakers should be kicking the tires on Thibs, Luke, Brooks and JVG. Offer big money and see if they get one of them to bite. If not, stick with Byron and then if the team still doesn't improve...as someone else said, there will be no more excuses. Whatever they do, they need to do it soon because other teams will be going after those guys and the Lakers don't want to go into FA with uncertainty as to who will be the coach like they did last year.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Shaq's prognostication is correct, I am not sure Kevin Durant wants to play for B. Scott as much as say a Thibs or Luke.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq stated a couple of days ago that he guarantees that the next Lakers star will be Kevin Durant who will sign with LA this summer. Certainly provocative but maybe he knows something we don't. We shall see especially if B. Scoot returns as coach.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq stated a couple of days ago that he guarantees that the next Lakers star will be Kevin Durant who will sign with LA this summer. Certainly provocative but maybe he knows something we don't. We shall see especially if B. Scoot returns as coach.

:hope:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fixing the Los Angeles Lakers | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

Pincus is pretty good with his stuff and his sources say that Scott Brooks is basically asking for the Lakers job. Ok, his quote is "has some interest should it become available" but let's be real here. No coach ever hints at a job that's currently filled as part of the coach bro code so for that to be out there, he's essentially saying "Hey Buss Family, PLEASE hire me."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fixing the Los Angeles Lakers | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

Pincus is pretty good with his stuff and his sources say that Scott Brooks is basically asking for the Lakers job. Ok, his quote is "has some interest should it become available" but let's be real here. No coach ever hints at a job that's currently filled as part of the coach bro code so for that to be out there, he's essentially saying "Hey Buss Family, PLEASE hire me."

Rather have Thibs, but wouldn't be upset in the least to get Brooks. He has shown that he can develop a young team.

And they need to listen to Mitch:

From where I sit, I’m going to try to encourage the decision-makers to be prudent with the money that we have – not just fill out a roster with players that will give us no flexibility going forward, yet maybe we can win 40 or 42 games for the next five years,” Kupchak said. “That’s never been our goal in this city. I know it’s frustrating for fans, but it’s my goal and I know it’s the organization’s goal to get the team and the organization in the position to do a lot more than that.

My biggest concern in the off-season is that Jim will do exactly what Mitch said they shouldn't in an effort to save his job. After all, if he makes moves that get them to the 40-42 win level, he can say "look, we improved by 25 games over last season. I get to stay." Then have the team stuck in purgatory for a few years.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Phil is heading west because he is fed up in New York and short Buss's days will be numbered because the duet of Jeanie and Phil will makes some serious moves because short Buss has had his chances to no avail.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like, to an increasing greater extent every year, that the Lakers will retain B. Scott for one more year until Luke gets some seasoning with another team. Then they'll make a HC in 2017.

Luke Walton interviews for Knicks and Nets head coaching jobs, Lakers 'in play'

I just want them to make a decision. Either fire Byron or keep him. If they truly want Luke, then send someone behind the scenes to see how interested he truly is. If he has strong interest, then fire Byron and hire him.

That goes for Thibs and Brooks as well. If they are going to keep Byron for another year, then just announce it and move on.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes zero sense is if they actually want Luke Walton, why wait? There is nothing preventing him from having the job this year. If you want him, go get him.

That's what I've been saying. At least put feelers out to see if he, or any of the available coaches may be interested in the job. If they are, then find out what it will take to get them and get to work.