• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure about this year since I didn't follow other teams much, but as I recall the 2012 A's seemed to do pretty well using a platoon system.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3720274

What I am saying is that the platoon mates ought to be contributing near equally or else the platoon is not operating effectively. Players would need 200ABs I propose to be considered in a platoon. For OAK 2012 the platoon options are:

1b: Carter (.239) and Moss (.291)
LF: Cespedes (.292) and Seth Smith (.240)
C: Suzuki (.218) and Norris (.201) ... with Suzuki traded to WSN at deadline

I don't consider if these were the platoon options that they achieved what they were looking for in equal and total superior performance.

Maybe SEA ... Ibanez (.242) and Jason Bay (.204)? Don't see it there either.

I remain convinced that if platoons work there would be some good examples. Just can't think of any that jump out at me. Think all platoons do is allow teams to carry two replacement value players at a position rather than committing to one of them and giving him more PT. IMO ... RH platoon guy gets screwed.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did about 10minutes of math and this is what I come up with ... please shoot at my figuring.

Coming off the $125mil (Cot's)
$10.5m Cruz
$11.0m Berkman
$07.5m AJ
$05.8m Murphy
$02.7m Soto
$02.0m Colby
$01.8m Baker
$01.5m Frasor
$01.3m Lowe (Derek)
$00.5m Borbon
$00.5m Leury Garcia
$00.5m Ogando
$00.5m Moreland
$00.5m Gentry
$10.0m MY
$55.3m Total (approx) coming off the books

$125 - 55 = $70mil committed

Add back in's ... guy listed or equivalent
$03.0m Soto
$01.5m Frasor
$02.0m Colby
$02.0m Baker
$02.0m Cotts (was not on ML contract for 2013)
$01.5m Ogando (wedge for Arb1)
$01.5m Moreland (wedge for Arb1)
$01.5m Gentry (wedge for Arb1)
$15.0m Total add backs

$70m + $15m = $85mil committed and probable. Assume $125mil budget limit for planning purposes ... minus the $85m committed and probable = $40mil for ... Cruz, #1C, COF

What am I missing?

Give or take a mill it looks about right. JMO, but I don't see Colby pitching at the MLB level any more or Baker being resigned. Signing Cruz may or may not depend on how hard they make a run at Abreu.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Give or take a mill it looks about right. JMO, but I don't see Colby pitching at the MLB level any more or Baker being resigned. Signing Cruz may or may not depend on how hard they make a run at Abreu.

Colby and Baker money are placeholders for either them ... or guys like them who will hold those roster spots.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did about 10minutes of math and this is what I come up with ... please shoot at my figuring.

Coming off the $125mil (Cot's)
$10.5m Cruz
$11.0m Berkman
$07.5m AJ
$05.8m Murphy
$02.7m Soto
$02.0m Colby
$01.8m Baker
$01.5m Frasor
$01.3m Lowe (Derek)
$00.5m Borbon
$00.5m Leury Garcia
$00.5m Ogando
$00.5m Moreland
$00.5m Gentry
$10.0m MY
$55.3m Total (approx) coming off the books

$125 - 55 = $70mil committed

Add back in's ... guy listed or equivalent
$03.0m Soto
$01.5m Frasor
$02.0m Colby
$02.0m Baker
$02.0m Cotts (was not on ML contract for 2013)
$01.5m Ogando (wedge for Arb1)
$01.5m Moreland (wedge for Arb1)
$01.5m Gentry (wedge for Arb1)
$15.0m Total add backs

$70m + $15m = $85mil committed and probable. Assume $125mil budget limit for planning purposes ... minus the $85m committed and probable = $40mil for ... Cruz, #1C, COF

What am I missing?

not missing much according to Lonestarball, I think they had roughly 40 million as well.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mentioned DeJesus as an option because i heard him mentioned by someone named Martinez on MLB. sorry for thinking

Yeah Scotty, what were you thinking? You should forget DeJesus and ask them for their entire starting pitching staff so we will have the 10 SP's Winding says we need. Or, maybe MLB could let each team have several minor league teams so they can develop starters lol..... I heard them mention DeJesus as well, though I think it was because they thought the Rangers would be cash strapped and they are already penciling bigger names to LA, Boston and NY

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's bunk. Mickey Mantle didn't platoon in CF. Joe Dimaggio didn't platoon. Yogi Berra didn't even platoon.

Are you telling me that the game was easier 50 years ago with double headers and train rides?

You are the one wanting to sign Garza just to spend money when their is no value improvement. You want to upgrade the win potential ... then figure out a way to get a premier COF (and I don't mean the oft injured dude in MIA). Then you play Gentry across all three OF spots.

But no way put them in a platoon. You STILL have not given us an example of ONE platoon that works even for veterans. For young guys (and not sure Gentry qualifies as young any more) ... platoons kill any capability from the RH bat due to lack of PT.

Did you really use Joe D and the Mick as examples why not to platoon Gentry and Martin? LMAO.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scotty ... you've been part of the core here for years ... you've done good thinking before even though I rant at you. But think about it this way:

You have a #1ML prospect in your wallet that you can't use effectively. So what would that #1ML prospect get you one for one. I think your answer is someone bigger than DeJesus. Suggest we start at the top of the COF all star candidates ... and work down ... not at the B-level FA (which doesn't exist any more) and up.

I think the way you improve your operation ... or your roster in the case of JD ... is to define the best option for every spot ... and then figure out how to get them. Don't start with what you think you can afford or what someone might be willing to give up. Remember ... if someone opens the conversation offering one guy ... that means he's the one they can do without.

You don't want a guy someone can do without. You want THE guy from your plan in exchange for your #1ML prospect in your wallet.

like i said i mentioned because of a story i read. the story also included Quentin and some Japanese pitcher named Mashiro Tanaka as possible trade scenerios. it also mentioned FA's like McCann, Napoli, Cruz & Garza as targets

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin is an everyday player soon and it could very well be this year. I agree with WMW that I don't really want platoons a whole season sharing a position. Have 3 solid outfield starters and have a really good and solid 4th OF that can give rest to the starters and yet still have the option to play quite a bit and contribute.

I would have loved to have Garza back but at this point he's a luxury and wouldn't add just a ton of value to this ballclub. Nick Tepesch can fill out the rotation and do well or if Colby is ready to come back for real then that is fine by me. I would have loved to take a bid on Tanaka but like Garza he'd just be a luxury unless they wanted to go after him and maybe have the flexibility of trading one of their current arms in the near future.

from what i saw of Lewis he is not going to be MLB level ever again. Tepesch should never have seen the big leagues last year but because of poor health and planning we had no option.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from what i saw of Lewis he is not going to be MLB level ever again. Tepesch should never have seen the big leagues last year but because of poor health and planning we had no option.

I didn't see anything of him.

Colby is always going to look at his glass as half full, and he feels he can pitch at the MLB level for 2 to 3 more years. I'm not counting on this, but will have a wait and see attitude until spring training.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did you really use Joe D and the Mick as examples why not to platoon Gentry and Martin? LMAO.

Yea ... first names that popped into my mind who were OFers and never platooned ... wanted it way over the top too.

I remain of the opinion that platoons don't work. When management elects to platoon two guys what it results in is an expectation of failure when batting against same side pitchers rather than fixing the problem. Platoons do not result in balanced play and limits PT that further creates a disparity.

Am sure there are other examples ... but if you back over the last two seasons when Gentry had PT both ways he excelled. The platoon was a management cop out simply because Wash wanted to play Murphy over Gentry after it was clear Martin needed every day play.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't see anything of him.

Colby is always going to look at his glass as half full, and he feels he can pitch at the MLB level for 2 to 3 more years. I'm not counting on this, but will have a wait and see attitude until spring training.

Unless Colby packs it in ... JD will write him the same 1year/$2mil deal he got a year ago conditional on him making the roster ... same condition as last year. Little if any risk.

While Colby might not make the rotation ... he'd be an excellent option for long relief and spot starting. Wouldn't you want Colby in that role rather than a Derek Lowe, Michael Kirkman or Ross Wolf?

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3720274

What I am saying is that the platoon mates ought to be contributing near equally or else the platoon is not operating effectively. Players would need 200ABs I propose to be considered in a platoon. For OAK 2012 the platoon options are:

1b: Carter (.239) and Moss (.291)
LF: Cespedes (.292) and Seth Smith (.240)
C: Suzuki (.218) and Norris (.201) ... with Suzuki traded to WSN at deadline

I don't consider if these were the platoon options that they achieved what they were looking for in equal and total superior performance.

Maybe SEA ... Ibanez (.242) and Jason Bay (.204)? Don't see it there either.

I remain convinced that if platoons work there would be some good examples. Just can't think of any that jump out at me. Think all platoons do is allow teams to carry two replacement value players at a position rather than committing to one of them and giving him more PT. IMO ... RH platoon guy gets screwed.

Seth Smith mostly platooned with the Gomes fellow.

It seems you are looking for is a situation where both players being platooned hit .400. Good luck with that.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea ... first names that popped into my mind who were OFers and never platooned ... wanted it way over the top too.

I remain of the opinion that platoons don't work. When management elects to platoon two guys what it results in is an expectation of failure when batting against same side pitchers rather than fixing the problem. Platoons do not result in balanced play and limits PT that further creates a disparity.

Am sure there are other examples ... but if you back over the last two seasons when Gentry had PT both ways he excelled. The platoon was a management cop out simply because Wash wanted to play Murphy over Gentry after it was clear Martin needed every day play.

So, the platooning on Murphy, Gentry and Martin means MLB has had it wrong for over 50 years?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Colby packs it in ... JD will write him the same 1year/$2mil deal he got a year ago conditional on him making the roster ... same condition as last year. Little if any risk.

While Colby might not make the rotation ... he'd be an excellent option for long relief and spot starting. Wouldn't you want Colby in that role rather than a Derek Lowe, Michael Kirkman or Ross Wolf?

We'll see. I would think if Colby can start he will, if not, the BP probably won't be an option. Can't imagine his body would allow for BP duty, if he can't start. But I'm certainly no doc.

The organization still seems to be very high on Kirkman. We'll see on that one too. He's 27 so he's reaching the point of fish-or-cut-bait in his career. And anybody but Lowe.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, wash is next.
Sadly, I believe he will be here to end his contract. I think once again the FO will have a talk with him. This one will be about listening to the new bench coach and trusting his opinion no matter how different it is from Wash's gut.

Status
Not open for further replies.