• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is my spitballing:

-Make a reasonable offer to McCann
-See what the market is, but offer Cruz something like 3 for $30M as the full time DH
-Do what it takes to keep garza. I'm tired of stocking the Cubs farm system. Give him a CJ type offer, 4/$85M
-Whomever is in big time on Cano and doesn't get him, I'd call and offer Kinsler. His value isn't going up.
-IF, and that is a big if, Wash isn't back then I'd make sure that Mike Maddux is the replacement. He's another smart guy who knows how to get the most out of his players. Then I'd find a really good and experienced bench coach to advise him.
-Roll with OF next year of Gentry, Martin, Rios from left to right unless there is interest in Gentry and an upgrade is available
-resign Jeff Baker as 4th OF/UTIL
-find something to do with a cheap Rosales
-I don't think BOS lets Nap get away, but we need to find a 1B through trade or something.

Guys I never want to see in a Rangers uniform again: Murphy, Berkman, Moreland

Without commenting on the balance ... hadn't thought about it before ... but there might be good reason to resign Baker and Rosales early. Every year TEX has to go looking for a UIF and backup RH CIF/COF talent. For the money both fill that bill and would allow the FO to devote time to the bigger pieces.

Would add Soto and Frasor to that quick sign list too. And get the Arb1 done and out of the way on Gentry, Ogando and Moreland too while at it.

While I have it open ... as a starting point on looking at the payroll ... here's Cot's product current as of March 13 fyi. See attached PDF ... I red lined the ones who are gone or will be gone.

Here's the link to Cot's product if you prefer to look at other teams' product.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dDBkXzk2MFNvamZQMXhnTUc0VFJ6dXc&output=html

Attachments

• MLB Texas 13 OD ver2.pdf
    204.1 KB · Views: 13

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin is young and will develop with playing time. Do not see a problem at all. On his worse day you can't compare him to Murphy

:agree:....Bowden said a few months ago that Martin, in 2 years, just might be the best CF in baseball. This may be too high of praise, but his reasoning is: "arm is fantastic, speed is same, his route to the ball improved, and now he's gotten some experience and knows what it takes to compete during the long season. His plate discipline and power will improve with seasoning as well. I see nothing but upside."

And I really do worry some that planning on Gentry for 150+ games is a rather large gamble.

Can't imagine McCann wouldn't rather be in Texas than with the Yankees, as some speculate will be his landing spot.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This being an armchair GM is interesting and fun, isn't it?

Lots of opportunity for the Rangers to improve. But I don't know why so many of ya think the resigning of Garza is such a must do situation. I'd like to have him back, but I wouldn't pay him big bucks, which is what he's going to get from someone. Of course, one of the advantages of being the armchair GM is we're not spending our money.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin is young and will develop with playing time. Do not see a problem at all. On his worse day you can't compare him to Murphy

poor choice but his plate appearances started resembling Murphy's over the last month or so. he was totally gassed by the end of the season. i have total faith that he will be our full-time CF'er in a year or 2 but until then i would prefer to have him and Gentry splitting time in CF and then Gentry can take over from Rios after next season

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
poor choice but his plate appearances started resembling Murphy's over the last month or so. he was totally gassed by the end of the season. i have total faith that he will be our full-time CF'er in a year or 2 but until then i would prefer to have him and Gentry splitting time in CF and then Gentry can take over from Rios after next season
He has gained a nickname....Platoonys Martin.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone heard of any interest by the Rangers in Mashiro Tanaka SP for the Rakuten Japanese team? Bleacher Report says the Rangers are very interested in him but i haven't heard anything

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you said it. This was Martin's longest season ever and I think he was indeed completely gassed by the end of the year.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This being an armchair GM is interesting and fun, isn't it?

Lots of opportunity for the Rangers to improve. But I don't know why so many of ya think the resigning of Garza is such a must do situation. I'd like to have him back, but I wouldn't pay him big bucks, which is what he's going to get from someone. Of course, one of the advantages of being the armchair GM is we're not spending our money.

I have no interest in signing a #5 for more money in 2014 than you will pay Darvish, Harrison or Holland.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no interest in signing a #5 for more money in 2014 than you will pay Darvish, Harrison or Holland.

i'm only interested in the Rangers winning if that means spending money to keep garza or bringing someone else via trade or free agency and it enhances our winning then do it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:....Bowden said a few months ago that Martin, in 2 years, just might be the best CF in baseball. This may be too high of praise, but his reasoning is: "arm is fantastic, speed is same, his route to the ball improved, and now he's gotten some experience and knows what it takes to compete during the long season. His plate discipline and power will improve with seasoning as well. I see nothing but upside."

And I really do worry some that planning on Gentry for 150+ games is a rather large gamble.

Can't imagine McCann wouldn't rather be in Texas than with the Yankees, as some speculate will be his landing spot.
As for as Gentry and Martin, I have no doubt they will be outstanding players if handled right. I see nothing on the down side but a very strong and confident up side. Mc Cann, well he will look just fine in a Ranger uniform. The Yankees will probably try and land him as they are getting old and need lots of repair. Hope they fail.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. If there is only X amount of money to be spent and if Gentry and Martin are both in the outfield ( I'd rather see a platoon there) I had rather see them spend some bucks on a catcher and first baseman that can produce some power numbers.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If there is only X amount of money to be spent and if Gentry and Martin are both in the outfield ( I'd rather see a platoon there) I had rather see them spend some bucks on a catcher and first baseman that can produce some power numbers.

who is to say how much X dollars is?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No. No more platoons. Platoons hurt both players but especially RH bats. What was crazy was Murphy and Gentry platooning ... when Gentry had better BA and OBP numbers against both LH and RH pitchers than Murphy did.

No more platoons. Platoons institutionalize an acceptance of mediocrity.

Give us but ONE example of a platoon anywhere in MLB that results in superior offensive output from both players to justify as an example of success. Just one example.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. No more platoons. Platoons hurt both players but especially RH bats. What was crazy was Murphy and Gentry platooning ... when Gentry had better BA and OBP numbers against both LH and RH pitchers than Murphy did.

No more platoons. Platoons institutionalize an acceptance of mediocrity.

Give us but ONE example of a platoon anywhere in MLB that results in superior offensive output from both players to justify as an example of success. Just one example.

no it doesn't. you take 2 young good players and you lessen the impact of a long season on them. point in fact Leonys Martin. as the season wore on he ran down and because of the poor play of Murphy we ended up having to use Gentry in LF. if we hadn't then a platooning of the 2 would have kept them fresh. neither has ever played a full season at the major league level and you want to use both of them next year as full-time players. what do we do when they both run out of steam in August?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'm only interested in the Rangers winning if that means spending money to keep garza or bringing someone else via trade or free agency and it enhances our winning then do it.

How do you see that Garza = winning more than Tepesch = winning? Or that the pay delta between the two justifies the expense for marginal WAR difference.

For TEX in 2012
Tepesch -0.2WAR in 17GS
Garza -0.1WAR in 13GS

When ranked against Darvish, Harrison, Holland and Perez ... Garza is a FIVE.

Explain to us why you would pay him more than any of the other four SPs. When he's not as good a pitcher as they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no it doesn't. you take 2 young good players and you lessen the impact of a long season on them. point in fact Leonys Martin. as the season wore on he ran down and because of the poor play of Murphy we ended up having to use Gentry in LF. if we hadn't then a platooning of the 2 would have kept them fresh. neither has ever played a full season at the major league level and you want to use both of them next year as full-time players. what do we do when they both run out of steam in August?

That's bunk. Mickey Mantle didn't platoon in CF. Joe Dimaggio didn't platoon. Yogi Berra didn't even platoon.

Are you telling me that the game was easier 50 years ago with double headers and train rides?

You are the one wanting to sign Garza just to spend money when their is no value improvement. You want to upgrade the win potential ... then figure out a way to get a premier COF (and I don't mean the oft injured dude in MIA). Then you play Gentry across all three OF spots.

But no way put them in a platoon. You STILL have not given us an example of ONE platoon that works even for veterans. For young guys (and not sure Gentry qualifies as young any more) ... platoons kill any capability from the RH bat due to lack of PT.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you see that Garza = winning more than Tepesch = winning? Or that the pay delta between the two justifies the expense for marginal WAR difference.

For TEX in 2012
Tepesch -0.2WAR in 17GS
Garza -0.1WAR in 13GS

Explain to us why you would pay him more than any of the other four SPs. When he's not as good a pitcher as they are.
The only argument you can make in his favor is the ability to go 200 innings. Garza hasn't done that in 2 full seasons though. He's had injuries the last two years. Even then I don't think you can justify spending a part of a finite payroll to a pitcher that would arguably be number 5.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For TEX in 2012
Tepesch -0.2WAR in 17GS
Garza -0.1WAR in 13GS

my comment was that i was in favor of spending the money to bring someone in if it meant us winning.

but to answer your question: in the long run i think that Garza would give us a better chance of winning that Tepesche. i don't think Tepesche would last any longer than he did this season and then we would be searching for someone to step in and fill his roster spot.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Better use of time than trying to sign Garza would be making a deal with COL for Carlos Gonzalez.

Singing a #5 like Garza (Rich Harden 2.0) doesn't add squat to the offense. Take that on while working with McCann's agent. Certainly don't wait to start on the rest of the needs until you find out McCann's decision.

Work in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.