• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well dang. Was hoping to delay releasing this for at least a few weeks, but not meant to be. I realize he may not have done much but losing your biggest bat to another team (josh), your next biggest bat to a suspension, another large bat to another team (nap) and you just can't get the extra win or two you need.

So post here what you would like to see happen or feel needs to happen.

Remember, EVERYONE has an equal voice so let's not attack anyone for their hopes or wishes.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash better be fucking gone.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- Sign McCann C/DH
2- Sign Napoli 1B/DH/ 3rd catcher (allows you to have Soto and McCann in the lineup at the same time, Napoli would probably never catch except in an emergency situation)
3- re-sign Cruz (COF/DH)
4- re-sign Soto C
5- High OBP UTIL guy SS/3B/2B
6- Figure out something to do with Profar or Kinsler... someone has to go and Kinsler's and Andrus' contracts make them almost impossible to move and get anything worthwhile in return
7- Get Gentry on the field regularly

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my spitballing:

-Make a reasonable offer to McCann
-See what the market is, but offer Cruz something like 3 for $30M as the full time DH
-Do what it takes to keep garza. I'm tired of stocking the Cubs farm system. Give him a CJ type offer, 4/$85M
-Whomever is in big time on Cano and doesn't get him, I'd call and offer Kinsler. His value isn't going up.
-IF, and that is a big if, Wash isn't back then I'd make sure that Mike Maddux is the replacement. He's another smart guy who knows how to get the most out of his players. Then I'd find a really good and experienced bench coach to advise him.
-Roll with OF next year of Gentry, Martin, Rios from left to right unless there is interest in Gentry and an upgrade is available
-resign Jeff Baker as 4th OF/UTIL
-find something to do with a cheap Rosales
-I don't think BOS lets Nap get away, but we need to find a 1B through trade or something.

Guys I never want to see in a Rangers uniform again: Murphy, Berkman, Moreland

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash better be fucking gone.

Won't be.... IMO. He'll be the manager to start the year.

Given that its the last year of his contract (next season)...I imagine they'll let it ride and see how things turn out. Then go from there. (IE..."move on" from him after a slow/bad start...etc).

My "list of wishes"...

1. Power hitting 1B with a halfway decent average. Is that Jose Abreu? idk...
2. Everyday catcher. One that will be here for a few seasons at least. Is it McCann?
3. A healthy pitching staff next season. Rotation and Bullpen wise.
4. A SP that will complement Darvish at the top of the rotation.
5. Resign Cruz to be the DH / OF Depth.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Sign McCann
2. Sign Cruz
3. Sign Nathan to an extension
4. Sign a good COF
5. Sign Napoli
6. Use Profar & Moreland as part of a trade package for pitcher

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Sign McCann
2. Sign Cruz
3. Sign Nathan to an extension
4. Sign a good COF
5. Sign Napoli
6. Use Profar & Moreland as part of a trade package for pitcher

Why would you sign Nathan to an extension? he's 38, and has an option for next year\

There aren't really any good COFers that are FAs now that Pence is gone and Boras is asking for the moon for Choo

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well JD said that the plan is for Washington to stay, which I hope is just smoke up all our asses.

If that is true the number one most important thing is to move Jackie Moore. He CANNOT be the bench coach if Wash is still around next year.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well JD said that the plan is for Washington to stay, which I hope is just smoke up all our asses.

If that is true the number one most important thing is to move Jackie Moore. He CANNOT be the bench coach if Wash is still around next year.

What? Dont want to see this anymore?

i_hug_that_feel.png

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1- Sign McCann C/DH
2- Sign Napoli 1B/DH/ 3rd catcher (allows you to have Soto and McCann in the lineup at the same time, Napoli would probably never catch except in an emergency situation)
3- re-sign Cruz (COF/DH)
4- re-sign Soto C
5- High OBP UTIL guy SS/3B/2B
6- Figure out something to do with Profar or Kinsler... someone has to go and Kinsler's and Andrus' contracts make them almost impossible to move and get anything worthwhile in return
7- Get Gentry on the field regularly

Good list. TEX needs a high output COF. Know your thought is for Napoli to upgrade the output from 1b/DH ... but a lineup with both he and Cruz would mean either losing Gentry in the OF regularly or Moreland both of whom are far superior defensively than Cruz or Napoli. May have to decide one or the other but not room for both.

Would like seeing Gentry playing every day not just regularly ... some say he would fade if over exposed yet when he has had long runs of PT his numbers don't bear this out. Think those are just the thoughts of the old "Rudy" fan group who think every spot in the order has to be a slugger.

Hopefully this winter Martin gets more COF work and he and Gentry switch positions. Know I may seem to over-focus on the two of them but believe they can be key to future success but the addition of Rios in RF (remember Rios is a transplant from CF) already lowers the COF SLG component which would then require substantial upgrade in SLG from 1b and DH.

TEX will likely resign Soto quick to get it out of the way ... and can then focus on longer odd effort to sign McCann. I honestly don't put too much faith in TEX prying him away from ATL. Depending on how the NL post season playoffs go ... he may want to stay there for the same money TEX can offer him to move. Beyond Soto ... TEX might look at who else is available to be the starting catcher.

Profar will be moved ... hopefully for top established SP ... or premier COF or 1bman. Know many think TEX would be overpaying if they use Profar for corner talent ... but otherwise Profar isn't going to get enough work to maintain his value. With Andrus and Kinsler in long term deals (and doubt that Kinsler moves to 1b or LF) ... then Profar's next PT opportunity comes at 3b. None of us look forward to that day when Beltre finishes up two years from now.

So I agree with most of your list ... with a caveat that Napoli and Cruz signings would have some potential undesirable consequences.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just read that tweet on LSB, (JD said Wash isn't going anywhere).
WOW, that was fast, and Durrett already with an article that Wash shouldn't be fired.

I'm great with another bench coach, but do we really think Wash would listen to anyone that's not directly over him? I don't know...I really doubt it. Maybe bring in MY, he might listen to him. :D

Here's what sucks. 1)JD is in a tough position, we miss the playoffs for the first time in 3 years and he's gone.
After becoming the most winning-est coach in Rangers history, the success, he's canned. Sounds like a PR nightmare for JD

2) We want to win the division next year, just like we do every year....what if we do and make the playoffs again? Then Wash is gone?

3) JD, you've got to do it now. I don't know how you get around a possible/probable PR nightmare, but you can try and manage it.

I get that the players love playing for him, trust him and that is valuable, it truly is. Forget the pitching mismanagement which has always been my biggest beef. (not that it's less important, but some of those decisions can be arbitrary, some aren't)
I think running Murph out there all season is a fire-able offense, (I'm guessing his worst season ever) It's unfathomable when we had other options. Maybe they didn't seem like great options, but he didn't even try until it was too late. It's hard to imagine almost any other MLB manager doing this, not that I know them all well, but the ones that come to mind, no way. I honestly believe we would have won more games, maybe a few, maybe more...if Murphy would have sat.

He flat out REFUSED to sit him. There's something wrong with the guy. That's the major concern.
We can hash out all the in-game stuff, but we already have...and some of it is pretty poor as well, but if you want to point to one very simple thing that shows he cannot be trusted with this team...
It's Murphy.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you sign Nathan to an extension? he's 38, and has an option for next year\

There aren't really any good COFers that are FAs now that Pence is gone and Boras is asking for the moon for Choo

only talking a year for Nathan and i'd be willing to signing Granderson to play LF but that's just me. if Martin's struggles continue i want to keep the option of Gentry to cover CF

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a billionaire owner I don't pay a guy 5.75 mill to sit on the bench. If I do then I have a long talk with the guy who signed him. And while I'm at it I'd also ask about the money spent on Oswalt, Berkman, Dumpster and AJ Piersynski.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good list. TEX needs a high output COF. Know your thought is for Napoli to upgrade the output from 1b/DH ... but a lineup with both he and Cruz would mean either losing Gentry in the OF regularly or Moreland both of whom are far superior defensively than Cruz or Napoli. May have to decide one or the other but not room for both.

Would like seeing Gentry playing every day not just regularly ... some say he would fade if over exposed yet when he has had long runs of PT his numbers don't bear this out. Think those are just the thoughts of the old "Rudy" fan group who think every spot in the order has to be a slugger.

Hopefully this winter Martin gets more COF work and he and Gentry switch positions. Know I may seem to over-focus on the two of them but believe they can be key to future success but the addition of Rios in RF (remember Rios is a transplant from CF) already lowers the COF SLG component which would then require substantial upgrade in SLG from 1b and DH.

TEX will likely resign Soto quick to get it out of the way ... and can then focus on longer odd effort to sign McCann. I honestly don't put too much faith in TEX prying him away from ATL. Depending on how the NL post season playoffs go ... he may want to stay there for the same money TEX can offer him to move. Beyond Soto ... TEX might look at who else is available to be the starting catcher.

Profar will be moved ... hopefully for top established SP ... or premier COF or 1bman. Know many think TEX would be overpaying if they use Profar for corner talent ... but otherwise Profar isn't going to get enough work to maintain his value. With Andrus and Kinsler in long term deals (and doubt that Kinsler moves to 1b or LF) ... then Profar's next PT opportunity comes at 3b. None of us look forward to that day when Beltre finishes up two years from now.

So I agree with most of your list ... with a caveat that Napoli and Cruz signings would have some potential undesirable consequences.

My regular roll-out with no trades would be:

C- McCann
1B- Napoli
2B- Kinsler
3B- Beltre
SS- Andrus
LF- Martin
CF-Gentry
RF- Rios
DH- Cruz

But I would give McCann and Napoli regular ABs at DH as well

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My regular roll-out with no trades would be:

C- McCann
1B- Napoli
2B- Kinsler
3B- Beltre
SS- Andrus
LF- Martin
CF-Gentry
RF- Rios
DH- Cruz

But I would give McCann and Napoli regular ABs at DH as well

if i wasn't concerned about Martin's major dropoff toward the end of the season i could live with this but because of his struggles i don't want another Murphy fiasco in LF.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that tweet on LSB, (JD said Wash isn't going anywhere).
WOW, that was fast, and Durrett already with an article that Wash shouldn't be fired.

I'm great with another bench coach, but do we really think Wash would listen to anyone that's not directly over him? I don't know...I really doubt it. Maybe bring in MY, he might listen to him. :D

Here's what sucks. 1)JD is in a tough position, we miss the playoffs for the first time in 3 years and he's gone.
After becoming the most winning-est coach in Rangers history, the success, he's canned. Sounds like a PR nightmare for JD

2) We want to win the division next year, just like we do every year....what if we do and make the playoffs again? Then Wash is gone?

3) JD, you've got to do it now. I don't know how you get around a possible/probable PR nightmare, but you can try and manage it.

I get that the players love playing for him, trust him and that is valuable, it truly is. Forget the pitching mismanagement which has always been my biggest beef. (not that it's less important, but some of those decisions can be arbitrary, some aren't)
I think running Murph out there all season is a fire-able offense, (I'm guessing his worst season ever) It's unfathomable when we had other options. Maybe they didn't seem like great options, but he didn't even try until it was too late. It's hard to imagine almost any other MLB manager doing this, not that I know them all well, but the ones that come to mind, no way. I honestly believe we would have won more games, maybe a few, maybe more...if Murphy would have sat.

He flat out REFUSED to sit him. There's something wrong with the guy. That's the major concern.
We can hash out all the in-game stuff, but we already have...and some of it is pretty poor as well, but if you want to point to one very simple thing that shows he cannot be trusted with this team...
It's Murphy.
3) It's a cold cut throat world and JD won't think twice about firing Wash if he believes the team will benefit. No problem! If the Ranger Corporation will benefit making money, JD won't give a flip what we think. That is the real world.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if i wasn't concerned about Martin's major dropoff toward the end of the season i could live with this but because of his struggles i don't want another Murphy fiasco in LF.
Martin is young and will develop with playing time. Do not see a problem at all. On his worse day you can't compare him to Murphy

Status
Not open for further replies.