• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 St. Louis Cardinals thread

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Releasing Wiggington and trading Boggs in the same day could be a sign of things to come. Opening up 2 spots on the 40-man isn't something you do for no reason.

getting ready for a new SS?

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess would be pitching. Name a SS out there that you would want? I can't think of any and that's the sole reason I don't see the Cards going after a SS.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again apparently we are in talks with Cleveland for Cabrera. I stand corrected, it may be for a SS.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again apparently we are in talks with Cleveland for Cabrera. I stand corrected, it may be for a SS.
Im not sure Im a huge fan of this...the Indians are in a playoff race and are going to want something pretty big in return.

I do trust the STL Cardinals front office more than just about anyone in sports so if they pull the trigger, Im sure itll be a good deal.

Paul Fizzle

The Godfather of Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys need to lose some games, help a brotha out

I have not seen playoff baseball since Vanilla Ice was on the sceen ..... Translation: A very long time

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have not seen playoff baseball since Vanilla Ice was on the sceen ..... Translation: A very long time
Your heart might not be ready for playoff baseball after such a long time. Its a totally different animal than anything else in sports.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know you've seen playoff football and hockey, but believe me Clayton is right. I'm as big of a Steelers fan as I am a Cards fan. I only put the Rams up as a favorite because I use this site because I use this for talking Rams and other sites for talking Steelers. Let me tell you though playoff baseball is way more tense than playoff football. In football you get that week of buildup and then it all comes pouring out. Baseball and hockey you get the nights to lay in bed thinking about it between each game. Hockey flows though, there isn't much starting and stopping. Baseball makes you sit and think about it as it goes and you feel your heart pounding as feeling weak as the tension builds. It's awesome. Best of luck to your Bucco's, I hope to see them in the NLCS.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the playoff race right now it's going to take a serious fall for either of these teams to miss the playoffs completely. Right now Washington is the first team out of the playoffs. They are 5 games behind Cincy, 9 games back of Pittsburgh, and 10 back of the Cardinals. The Cards and Buccos have really pulled away from the WC race. Obviously we are both more worried about wining the division, but that won't happen for both of us. Pending a serious decline in winning percentage both of these teams should be safe as far as at least getting a WC spot. The division is the goal but its nice to be so far out in front of the field.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pending a serious decline in winning percentage both of these teams should be safe as far as at least getting a WC spot.
With the way a lot of our players are slumping right now, we are playing like a sub .500 team. Theoretically this should correct itself and the Cards should be locked into place but that last game against the Cubs was pretty painful to watch.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals haven't really played great ball in the last 6 weeks yet are still atop the Major Leagues. To me that shows that this is about the level this team should play. Being 20 games over .500 isn't playing way over their heads.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals haven't really played great ball in the last 6 weeks yet are still atop the Major Leagues. To me that shows that this is about the level this team should play. Being 20 games over .500 isn't playing way over their heads.
I think theyll be fine in the long run. They have just been playing poorly as of late.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, I think the break will be good for them.

Speaking of the break Mujica has rightfully been added to the ASG roster.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the trade deadline passed, and we didn't add anyone to get our Cardinals out of this clusterfunk.

I haven't done much reading in the last couple of days- does anyone know anything about the chap from Cleveland that we got in return for Scrabble? All I know is that there's no dearth of second basemen in the Cardinals organization these days. I'm pretty happy with Matt Carpenter there now, and I'm anxious to see Kolten Wong after I saw him in Springfield last year, so I hope someone is willing and able to move to another base if necessary.

Anyway- I am, however, growing tired of the Cardinals fans that are writing our team off and predicting that they won't make the playoffs. Granted, this stretch of baseball has been demoralizing and painful to watch. And I am still concerned about our pitching staff as well as the absence of Molina for the next couple of weeks at least. But my goodness, we're still talking about the St. Louis Cardinals here!

I have to believe they'll bounce back. But I do worry that they may have to leave Pittsburgh to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't done much reading in the last couple of days- does anyone know anything about the chap from Cleveland that we got in return for Scrabble? All I know is that there's no dearth of second basemen in the Cardinals organization these days. I'm pretty happy with Matt Carpenter there now, and I'm anxious to see Kolten Wong after I saw him in Springfield last year, so I hope someone is willing and able to move to another base if necessary.
The guy we picked up is a really young prospect with a good on base percentage. Honestly, its a pretty minor move but I think we have to be really happy with the World Series we won because we got nothing long term for Rasmus.

Its hard to be negative about the Cards. They are a model sports franchise. But this year's team needs to wake up. Our best player is on the 15 day DL. We got swept by the Braves and lost 4 straight to the Pirates. And we get the Reds next, IIRC.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy we picked up is a really young prospect with a good on base percentage. Honestly, its a pretty minor move but I think we have to be really happy with the World Series we won because we got nothing long term for Rasmus.

Agreed. At least we got something in return for Scrabble, and that move was similar to Boggs and Rasmus because I think a change of scenery was needed.

Its hard to be negative about the Cards. They are a model sports franchise. But this year's team needs to wake up. Our best player is on the 15 day DL. We got swept by the Braves and lost 4 straight to the Pirates. And we get the Reds next, IIRC.

And I think we get the Dodgers after that. Anyone that looked at the schedule knew this would be a tough stretch of baseball for the Cardinals. But damn, I thought they'd at least show up!?!

Hopefully they get their shit together tonight. Nowhere to go but up now. I really can't blame Pittsburgh baseball fans that are loving this right now even if it's painful for us as Cardinals fans.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think we get the Dodgers after that. Anyone that looked at the schedule knew this would be a tough stretch of baseball for the Cardinals. But damn, I thought they'd at least show up!?!
Some of this is a little flukey (all those singles last game, for example) but some of it is due to the Cardinals just not being very good for the past 5-6 weeks.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Yes, they've been in a funk for awhile now, not just against Atlanta and Pittsburgh.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Yes, they've been in a funk for awhile now, not just against Atlanta and Pittsburgh.
But thats just it - its a funk. Its not a real indicator of how good the team is. I don't think we have the best team in baseball but we have a top 5 roster in the NL no doubt. The team had some incredible leadership and rapport when it battled back into the playoff race 2 years ago. The many players still left from that team are going to have to dig deep and find that again.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Exactly. Just because the Cardinals are playing some of their worst baseball of the season doesn't mean they aren't still one of the best teams in baseball- on paper and in reality.

The last few days have been tough, but the sky isn't falling. I'm sure the Cardinals see it that way as well. With so many games remaining against Pittsburgh and Cincinnati on the schedule, the Cardinals have to put this series behind them and dig deep for the remainder of the season as you said.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently I just need to keep a Rams avatar because whenever I switch over to something Cardinals related, they go on a streak.

Not that Im superstitious or anything...