• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Offseason Player Transaction Thread

Lukawren24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Don't want anything to do with the Upton's, a lot of quit in those two

Price and CarGo would be interesting acquisitions, but at what cost? Profar can't go anywhere

I would LOVE to extend Andrus, but it probably ain't happening with Boras around, Extend Elvis, move Kinsler to LF and let Profar/Andrus leadoff and hit 2nd, Put Profar at 2B

For Price I give up Perez for sure

For CarGo I give up Olt no problem, but its the extra that ends up sucking our system dry

Where have you heard that about Justin? I've heard that about BJ but I've always heard good things about Justin. I think he had some maturity issues early on in his career like bat mashing and throwing helmets(which I would honestly rather see than someone smiling as they walk back to the dugout after striking out). I think Justin would be a real good pick up. Had a down yr this season but I believe the problem was he was playing with a bad hand.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't like reading this from TexasRangers.com:

The non-story is manager Ron Washington. Club officials have given a strong indication that Washington remains in good standing despite the Rangers' sudden fade. As of right now, after two trips to the World Series, the front office isn't ready to throw the blame at the manager's office over what's happened in the past two weeks.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't like reading this from TexasRangers.com:

The non-story is manager Ron Washington. Club officials have given a strong indication that Washington remains in good standing despite the Rangers' sudden fade. As of right now, after two trips to the World Series, the front office isn't ready to throw the blame at the manager's office over what's happened in the past two weeks.

The problem with that statement lies in the fact that if somebody other than Washington was pushing the buttons this season the Rangers would be playing on Sunday with the best record in the AL even with what happened the last two weeks.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that statement lies in the fact that if somebody other than Washington was pushing the buttons this season the Rangers would be playing on Sunday with the best record in the AL even with what happened the last two weeks.

according to this story, the front office is satisfied with the way Wash pushed the buttons. i know you're not and i'm not and most fans aren't but supposedly JD and Nolan are

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to this story, the front office is satisfied with the way Wash pushed the buttons. i know you're not and i'm not and most fans aren't but supposedly JD and Nolan are

And that's all that should matter..what JD and Nolan think. Left up to the fans you would see a new manager every month and about 75 different players on the 40 man roster during a season. Not to mention, musical chairs on the bench. I fault Wash for using MY to much, but the real reason for the Rangers second place finish was that the other teams in the West got better this year and the Rangers didn't and that falls back on the front office more than the manager.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's all that should matter..what JD and Nolan think. Left up to the fans you would see a new manager every month and about 75 different players on the 40 man roster during a season. Not to mention, musical chairs on the bench.

At least someone else see's it...

I dont see Wash being removed this offseason. I see changes made to the roster...but not the management. Wash will be in the final year of his contract, so I see them letting him "play out" his contract. (unless the team starts off horribly..of course)

Maybe....maybe...a few discussions about his player management this upcoming season.....but not "relieved of his duties".

That said, for those that want Wash gone - who all would you replace Wash with??

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would say Joe Maddon of the Rays. But what Manager in Baseball has a more Cozy Situation in All of Baseball. The Rays are Dead last in All of Baseball inHome Attendance in a Very Small Market. Have No Pressure on Him whatsoever. The Rays Fans have no Championship Aspirations. The Trop is also a Terrible Ballpark, and a Very Small Payroll. Maddon has a different Lineup everyday. The Rays can go into Yankees Stadium, Fenway, The Big A, or Commerica in Detroit with No Pressure on them. If the Rays Win, Joe Maddon is a Bloddy Genius. When they lose its well the Rays really don't have the Talent and We have a Small Payroll. It would be east to say that if Maddon managed the Rangers we would Win 110 Games. But its never that simple. Sometimes a Manager can be Great in a Particular Situation. The Rays Fans aren't very passionate to begin with and never criticize Maddon when his moves don't work. Its a whole different World managing in a Big Marhet like DFW, Boston, New York, Detroit, and LA. Wash is under pressure to Win as is Gerardi, Scossia, and Leyland. But not Joe Maddon.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok...how about what "available" managerial candidate would you replace him with...

I believe everyone would replace Wash with Joe Maddon...

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But it doesn't mean Joe Maddon would automatically have that same success. You never know. Maddon will always have critics till He Manages in a Bigger Market under real pressure. Every Club and Clubhouse is different. But the Rays have Maddon locked up for a couple more years anyway.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's all that should matter..what JD and Nolan think. Left up to the fans you would see a new manager every month and about 75 different players on the 40 man roster during a season. Not to mention, musical chairs on the bench. I fault Wash for using MY to much, but the real reason for the Rangers second place finish was that the other teams in the West got better this year and the Rangers didn't and that falls back on the front office more than the manager.

and that's my point. i don't think they will fire him but i'm not happy with some of his decisions and i hope that JD and Nolan bring him to task for them.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that's my point. i don't think they will fire him but i'm not happy with some of his decisions and i hope that JD and Nolan bring him to task for them.

Hell, somebody was blaming Wash for something after every one of the teams loses. The fact of the matter is that all you have to do is compare last years Rangers record vs the West to find that the rest of the teams got better this year and the Rangers didn't. That ain't the managers fault.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, somebody was blaming Wash for something after every one of the teams loses. The fact of the matter is that all you have to do is compare last years Rangers record vs the West to find that the rest of the teams got better this year and the Rangers didn't. That ain't the managers fault.

It did not help that Kinsler and the middle of our lineup got complacent and Wash did not do anything to stir them out of it.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This was tough season for the Rangers. The Team went from being the Hunter to being the Hunted. They were the Team to Beat. The Rangers in 2012 were living in a Goldfish like never before. Every At Bat, Every Pitch, Every Base Running Play, And Every Fielded Ball was analyzed like never before. This didn't happen like this in 2010 or 2011. The Rangwers also played more Baseball overall then any team in baseball over the Last Two Years. The thing you can criticize Wash for was not resting his regulars more and giving them more rest. Young played two straight months when He was struggling and Kinsler never ever got a day off. Also Pitchers like Ross pitched too many inning in the First half of the Season. Wash made mistakes. All Managers do. But like what was mentioned in other Posts the AL West was a lot Stronger this Year. The A's found their offense and there Rookie Rotation camr thru big. The Angels signed Pujols and Wilsom as Free Agents and once Mike Trout came up the Angels took off. Even the Mariners were no pushover. Their Pitching and Bullpen was still very good. Seattle just couldn't hit like the other Three Teams. So Wash is accountable for some things but not all. The Pressure on this Rangers was really enormous. Plus losing Colby Lewis and Feliz to during the Season hurt a lot. Colby Lewis was a Huge Loss. He is the Greatest Pitcher to Date in Rangers Post Season History. Also Baseball is a 162 Game Season Marathon not a 16 Game NFL Season. The Best Teams are going to Lose 60 to 70 Games a Year. It really wore on this Club the Intense Pressure to be Great every night. The Roy Oswalt situation was another thing that hurt the club. His Attitude may have been more of a cancer then people want to talk about. Also Josh Hamilton despite his lofty power number wasn't all there. The Last Three weeks Hamilton was on Planet Mars. Wash did his best to motivate the team. I believe in General they tried. But they were Very Tired at the end of the Season. The Mind and Body on the Players just wouldn't respond. Very Complex Issue. Not any one answer. Wash is at fault for some things but not everything.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was tough season for the Rangers. The Team went from being the Hunter to being the Hunted. They were the Team to Beat. The Rangers in 2012 were living in a Goldfish like never before. Every At Bat, Every Pitch, Every Base Running Play, And Every Fielded Ball was analyzed like never before. This didn't happen like this in 2010 or 2011. The Rangwers also played more Baseball overall then any team in baseball over the Last Two Years. The thing you can criticize Wash for was not resting his regulars more and giving them more rest. Young played two straight months when He was struggling and Kinsler never ever got a day off. Also Pitchers like Ross pitched too many inning in the First half of the Season. Wash made mistakes. All Managers do. But like what was mentioned in other Posts the AL West was a lot Stronger this Year. The A's found their offense and there Rookie Rotation camr thru big. The Angels signed Pujols and Wilsom as Free Agents and once Mike Trout came up the Angels took off. Even the Mariners were no pushover. Their Pitching and Bullpen was still very good. Seattle just couldn't hit like the other Three Teams. So Wash is accountable for some things but not all. The Pressure on this Rangers was really enormous. Plus losing Colby Lewis and Feliz to during the Season hurt a lot. Colby Lewis was a Huge Loss. He is the Greatest Pitcher to Date in Rangers Post Season History. Also Baseball is a 162 Game Season Marathon not a 16 Game NFL Season. The Best Teams are going to Lose 60 to 70 Games a Year. It really wore on this Club the Intense Pressure to be Great every night. The Roy Oswalt situation was another thing that hurt the club. His Attitude may have been more of a cancer then people want to talk about. Also Josh Hamilton despite his lofty power number wasn't all there. The Last Three weeks Hamilton was on Planet Mars. Wash did his best to motivate the team. I believe in General they tried. But they were Very Tired at the end of the Season. The Mind and Body on the Players just wouldn't respond. Very Complex Issue. Not any one answer. Wash is at fault for some things but not everything.

Not sure if I agree or disagree with your assessment, plus it took me a while to get through it with all the grammatical, spelling, and capitalization errors....are you in grade school?

Anyway, I do agree that the performance of the players was not there and a manager can't control that. But it is his job to hold these guys accountable and continuing to play them when they aren't performing and not giving them more rest knowing that they are probably tired is just unacceptable. The wins and losses of teams generally falls on the shoulders of the manager as it should be. He is in control of the team as a whole and he lost control of them. It is the players job to perform like they can, they shouldn't have to worry about everyone else's performance and since this is a team game it is the duty of the manager to make sure they are playing like a team.

Hamilton is another huge reason of the Rangers downfall. He is suppose to be the guy they lean on to lift them up when they are down, don't ask to be paid the money he will get if you don't want to be that guy. He completely let the team and the fans down and that is also unacceptable.....What we need are fresh players and fresh faces, a new core to this team needs to develop and it needs to be around Andrus/Profar (whichever they choose to go with), Darvish, Harrison, Gentry, and Moreland with Beltre being the vet and clubhouse leader. I do like the idea of trading Kinsler and putting Profar at 2B, I think that would be more beneficial to them than trading one of Profar or Andrus. I think we need to let Hamilton walk and probably Napoli too unless his price has come down to a reasonable amount. Would be nice to get Cargo, I think he is a great fit and replacement for Hamilton but I just dont see anyway he becomes available. I am not sure it would be wise to use assets to gain a Hamilton replacement before trying to get a TORP anyway and I think we desperately need Price by any means necessary. Will we have to overpay? I am sure we will, but it is our biggest hole and the main reason we got knocked out early this year and lost the WS last year so if we hav to overpay then so be it. I still say we sign Greinke with the money we would have spent on Hamilton to have a very solid rotation, not just a mediocre one.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not in Grade School or anything but a lot of Typing. Just MisKeyed a lot of Words. Like I said this is a Very Complex Issue. Not any one thing. The Rangers will be a different Team Next Year in many respects. Have to see how the Free Agent Market works itself out and what teams might want in a trade if the Rangers want to make a deal. Right now the Post Season is going on so nothing will happen during the month of October.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I agree with everything you say. The operative statements here though are "Wash made mistakes. All managers do". Yes, the axiom is that managers account for around 5 games a year. With that in mind then it's conceivable that another manager could have pushed the right button on just 1 game more than Wash did and the Rangers would be playing tonight.

It sounds like upper managment is commited to him and must think there is nobody else available out there to replace him.

He took the team to the series twice and they should have had 1 championship. There's something to be said for that.

Wash runs off a lot of emotions and at times it's great and at other times it may not be in the team's best interest when making on the field decisions.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sometimes I just can't type fast enough to keep up with what my brain is thinking about. Do backtrack and try to correct Grammar and Typos but some misspelled words and typos still get thru.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It did not help that Kinsler and the middle of our lineup got complacent and Wash did not do anything to stir them out of it.

I'm not sure what he was supposed to do to make them better hitters. This isn't football where players fear for their jobs. I can't count the number of times Wash put the bench players in the line up and was accused of giving the game away. I remember once in KC when the bench players were in the line up and he caught hell for starting them.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you say. The operative statements here though are "Wash made mistakes. All managers do". Yes, the axiom is that managers account for around 5 games a year. With that in mind then it's conceivable that another manager could have pushed the right button on just 1 game more than Wash did and the Rangers would be playing tonight.

It sounds like upper managment is commited to him and must think there is nobody else available out there to replace him.

He took the team to the series twice and they should have had 1 championship. There's something to be said for that.

Wash runs off a lot of emotions and at times it's great and at other times it may not be in the team's best interest when making on the field decisions.

Wash rode the coat tails of the most talented team in baseball last year. He does little to contribute to its success. This season is clear evidence of that.