• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Offseason Player Transaction Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't the debate over who might be the manager in 2013 be relevant to the team of 2013?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
-Not and never have been interested in Greinke
-Acquire Cargo to replace Hamilton
-Extend Elvis
-Trade Kinsler for Brandon Morrow and JP Arencibia (Elvis jumped from AA, Profar can too)
-Pass on Napoli
-Resign Uehara
-Pass on Adams

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not and never have been interested in Greinke- Agree
-Acquire Cargo to replace Hamilton- agree
-Extend Elvis- agree if possible but with boras who knows
-Trade Kinsler for Brandon Morrow and JP Arencibia (Elvis jumped from AA, Profar can too)- disagree. Ian is still a top 3 2b in the league who just had a down year. Elvis may be tougher than you think to extend too.
-Pass on Napoli- disagree. Sign nap to a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option. He played a lot of this year injured.
-Resign Uehara- agree
-Pass on Adams- disagree.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not and never have been interested in Greinke- Agree
-Acquire Cargo to replace Hamilton- agree
-Extend Elvis- agree if possible but with boras who knows
-Trade Kinsler for Brandon Morrow and JP Arencibia (Elvis jumped from AA, Profar can too)- disagree. Ian is still a top 3 2b in the league who just had a down year. Elvis may be tougher than you think to extend too.
-Pass on Napoli- disagree. Sign nap to a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option. He played a lot of this year injured.
-Resign Uehara- agree
-Pass on Adams- disagree.

Agree with all your points

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Not and never have been interested in Greinke
-Acquire Cargo to replace Hamilton
-Extend Elvis
-Trade Kinsler for Brandon Morrow and JP Arencibia (Elvis jumped from AA, Profar can too)
-Pass on Napoli
-Resign Uehara
-Pass on Adams

Pretty much agree with this except the Kinsler part. There is no way Elvis signs an extension as long as Scott Boras is breathing so Profar goes to AAA and replaces Elvis when he either becomes a trade deadline swap (I hope) or a FA.
Aside from maybe the price, I'm not sure why Greinke wouldn't fit in here since there are so many question marks in the rotation. He may be a spaz, which I think is a bit over blown, but good grief, is there a bigger on again off again pitcher than Derek Holland? That's the guy I'd be dangling as trade bait.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey everyone, I am new here. Read posts in this thread and wanted to give my opinion on what the Rangers should do this offseason.

The regular season definitely ended in a very disappointing manner and if they have an early playoff exit I think there will be some big changes. I think we will see the core of this team start to shift.
I dont think we should resign Hamilton, he is just going to cost way too much. Pitching is obviously our biggest weakness especially with the lack of an ace. We need to do everything we can to pry Price from the Rays. I assume we could do that with a package around Olt or Andrus (i would like for them to keep Profar). if we can do that then I think we use whichever of those guys doesnt get traded in a package for Upton. I would much rather have Cargo than Upton, but I just dont see Cargo being traded. Then I think we need to make an effort to sign Greinke, a rotation that starts with Price, Darvish, and Greinke I think would be a great upgrade for next year.
there is no way they should go into next season with Andrus, Profar, and Kinsler on the same team, one of them should be traded to improve other areas. I would love it to be Kinsler but I dont see a suitor capable to get a return to fill holes, I am just so sick of watching Kinsler though.
I would also gauge trade interest for Holland, I think it is time he has a change of scenery. I am so tired of his inconsistency and I just dont see any signs of him developing into what we thought he could be. Cruz should be another guy that should be looked to be traded as well, there are plenty of teams that could use his bat and I dont think this down year will affect his trade value too much.

so if we can add Price and Upton, without giving up Profar I would consider the offseason a success. I think another guy that could be looked at especially if we get Uption is BJ Upton, I think those guys playing on the same team could have great chemistry and have some big years with them.

just my thoughts anyway.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How 'bout Tori Hunter if we don't resign Josh?

Great big NO from me on this one. Don't care if he would play for the vet min, I don't want that d-bag on this team.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd keep Kinsler until we have Elvis extended. I'd hate to trade away our 2B and then lose our SS in a year. Profar can only play one of those spots. Since he was just extended, I don't see Ian going anywhere though...especially not after this last season where his return is low. Also, who are we going to give up to get CarGo? Olt will be the beginning and go from there. I'm ok with giving up anyone as long as we don't create a hole.

And if we lose tonight, I think everything will be on the table. I just don't think the return will be high enough to move some guys (Ian and Mike mainly). An epic fail like this could give JD the leniency from the fanbase to do what he wants. Everyone I talk to at work, and hear from on the radio, are pretty down on Josh right now. Letting him go won't upset many. Same with Young.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd keep Kinsler until we have Elvis extended. I'd hate to trade away our 2B and then lose our SS in a year. Profar can only play one of those spots. Since he was just extended, I don't see Ian going anywhere though...especially not after this last season where his return is low. Also, who are we going to give up to get CarGo? Olt will be the beginning and go from there. I'm ok with giving up anyone as long as we don't create a hole.

And if we lose tonight, I think everything will be on the table. I just don't think the return will be high enough to move some guys (Ian and Mike mainly). An epic fail like this could give JD the leniency from the fanbase to do what he wants. Everyone I talk to at work, and hear from on the radio, are pretty down on Josh right now. Letting him go won't upset many. Same with Young.

a small part of me agrees with your co-workers but i would not be surprised to see the Rangers re-sign Josh and as i've said before i don't see the Rangers letting Young go and 16M.

the funny thing is that part of me is looking at Nelson Cruz being the odd man out in the Ranger lineup not Josh. it would not be a reach for the Rangers to look at Cruz as a trade piece in their search for the addition pieces they feel they need, i.e. starting pitching

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a small part of me agrees with your co-workers but i would not be surprised to see the Rangers re-sign Josh and as i've said before i don't see the Rangers letting Young go and 16M.

the funny thing is that part of me is looking at Nelson Cruz being the odd man out in the Ranger lineup not Josh. it would not be a reach for the Rangers to look at Cruz as a trade piece in their search for the addition pieces they feel they need, i.e. starting pitching

I agree on Cruz, but his contract doubles to $10M next year. That is a lot to hand off, but now is the time to do it since the other team can get him for a year and recover picks if he walks. Murphy is up for his final arb this year, and I just like that he is willing to sit and then make the most of his time. If we sign Josh, then Cruz almost HAS to go, along with his salary. That would leave Josh in left, Gentry/Martin in center, Murphy in right?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Cruz, but his contract doubles to $10M next year. That is a lot to hand off, but now is the time to do it since the other team can get him for a year and recover picks if he walks. Murphy is up for his final arb this year, and I just like that he is willing to sit and then make the most of his time. If we sign Josh, then Cruz almost HAS to go, along with his salary. That would leave Josh in left, Gentry/Martin in center, Murphy in right?

i see Josh being moved to right if Cruz is traded. and there is the CarGo interest who is a natural LF'er. that would put CarGo in left, Gentry/Martin in center and Hamilton in right with Murphy being the guy coming off the bench or also being traded making room for Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do think this offseason would be a great time to dangle Cruz as trade bait. But you've gotta get power in return for him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see Josh being moved to right if Cruz is traded. and there is the CarGo interest who is a natural LF'er. that would put CarGo in left, Gentry/Martin in center and Hamilton in right with Murphy being the guy coming off the bench or also being traded making room for Martin

Can we afford to have Hamilton and Cargo in the OF? That is going to cost a LOT of money. Cruz would have to go, guess we could package around him for CarGo but I'd expect Martin would be part of it as well.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we afford to have Hamilton and Cargo in the OF? That is going to cost a LOT of money. Cruz would have to go, guess we could package around him for CarGo but I'd expect Martin would be part of it as well.

thinking more Cruz and a package of mid-level prospects for CarGo

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thinking more Cruz and a package of mid-level prospects for CarGo

I would let go of Cruz and Olt for Cargo in a heartbeat. Don't include Martin. He's the future cf.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not ready to give up Olt yet. He would step in Young once he's gone

Where? At dh and utility IF? Beltre has 3b on lock down right now. Maybe keep him as a 1b if you think he'll be better than Moreland. Im not giving up on olt. I think hes gonna be good. If it takes Olt to get Cargo. I bite.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where? At dh and utility IF? Beltre has 3b on lock down right now. Maybe keep him as a 1b if you think he'll be better than Moreland. Im not giving up on olt. I think hes gonna be good. If it takes Olt to get Cargo. I bite.

if in the end it takes Olt then i'd do it but i start out offering Joey Gallo & Leury Garcia along with Cruz and see how Colorado responses

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd see Beltre spending time at DH after next year and Olt taking 3B. Josh is going to require at least 4 years, likely 5+ and Cargo is signed through 2017. Not sure how much future CF we are going to have unless those two are our corners.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd see Beltre spending time at DH after next year and Olt taking 3B. Josh is going to require at least 4 years, likely 5+ and Cargo is signed through 2017. Not sure how much future CF we are going to have unless those two are our corners.

I was thinking of them as corners with Cruz being gone.