• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2005 Draft

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this subject has been argued to death on most of these forums, but I heard earlier on the Gary Radnich show, a wrinkle that I never heard before. It might have come from Larry Krueger or another one of Gary's guest, but they stated that the niners liked Rodgers more than Smith. They were going to take Rodgers, who they thought would be a better pro, but they had an agreement with Tampa Bay to trade the #1 pick(Smith) for the #5 and some other parts. Then the Bucs reneged on the deal after news had come out that the niners intended to draft Smith. So the niners ended up taking Smith anyways.

If this is true I don't know who to dislike more, the Bucs or the Nolan regime. I mean I still despise the Nolan regime, but the Bucs need to get some of the blame right?

I've always believed that Rodgers wouldn't be the same player if he were drafted by the Nolan regime, so I guess the point is moot as usual.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares, stop crying over spilled milk. What does constantly rehashing this do for you?

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, it's another bit of information that was put out there. I wanted to see if anyone else knew about it and what they thought about it.

Don't comment if you don't care, I could care less about your opinion if that's all you're gonna add.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know this subject has been argued to death on most of these forums, but I heard earlier on the Gary Radnich show, a wrinkle that I never heard before. It might have come from Larry Krueger or another one of Gary's guest, but they stated that the niners liked Rodgers more than Smith. They were going to take Rodgers, who they thought would be a better pro, but they had an agreement with Tampa Bay to trade the #1 pick(Smith) for the #5 and some other parts. Then the Bucs reneged on the deal after news had come out that the niners intended to draft Smith. So the niners ended up taking Smith anyways.

If this is true I don't know who to dislike more, the Bucs or the Nolan regime. I mean I still despise the Nolan regime, but the Bucs need to get some of the blame right?

I've always believed that Rodgers wouldn't be the same player if he were drafted by the Nolan regime, so I guess the point is moot as usual.

Till this day I wish I had the old threads from the ESPN board dated 2005. I along with many others ranked Rodgers ahead of Smith. That year I was regarded as a mini cazic when it came to the topic of Alex Smith (during his rookie year)...saying "I told you so, but willing to give 2 more years to prove me wrong". I knew he never had it. And accurately predicated that the pick would push us back 6 plus years almost a decade. But what was done, has been done and I've already moved along and healed emotionally from that pick a long time ago. I'm baffled as to why we're still on it or why we're still giving him a shot this year. Next draft is the draft we ought to be very agressive in the draft, and I am willing to give a 1st this year and a first the following year to acquire Matt Barkley (last result if we can't land Luck). I am open to doing a Cutler top like trade/sacrifing picks to acquire a ture franchise QB.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's not new information. They talked about it on draft day. Talked about how the Bucs were in discussions with the 49ers to trade up, and then they backed out. The speculation as to why the Bucs dropped out is even the same thing, they figured out that nobody else in the top spots wanted a QB except the 49ers and themselves... so they decided to wait it out instead of pull off a Ricky Williams type of trade.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bingo - yeah, i sort recall thats what happened on your end.

for me, our BPA was Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers, ie a QB but didn't know which? i based it off all the draft-niks and articles that year, these two were at the top of the draft list and didn't see why we'd go RB, WR, etc.?

Rodgers was supposedly more "NFL ready", and Smith had more intangibles and hence higher ceiling. Urban Meyer did say Smith needed more time than most, but i was ok waiting a year longer in return for a franchise QB.

there was a rumour of a trade as another team was targetting Alex Smith. but don't think any details ever came out? i'm sure deals fall apart all the time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, it's not new information. They talked about it on draft day. Talked about how the Bucs were in discussions with the 49ers to trade up, and then they backed out. The speculation as to why the Bucs dropped out is even the same thing, they figured out that nobody else in the top spots wanted a QB except the 49ers and themselves... so they decided to wait it out instead of pull off a Ricky Williams type of trade.

ok, i stand corrected on details coming out.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo...Im with you on the letting go of some picks to get the guy. Kinda like the Jets with Sanchez. I know we have other holes to fill, but you see what a guy like Manning can do. A franchise QB is worth waiting on some other needs.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, i stand corrected on details coming out.

Maybe not, that is 6 years ago so I don't fully trust my memory either. The initial reports on the trade left the team unnamed, at the time the ESPN commentators just speculated that it was Tampa... since everyone felt they needed a new QB too. It wasn't until later in the draft that ESPN confirmed Tampa was the team.

I really only remember this, because I recall paying attention to Cadillac Williams that year and thinking that the Bucs made the right decision to back out.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe not, that is 6 years ago so I don't fully trust my memory either. The initial reports on the trade left the team unnamed, at the time the ESPN commentators just speculated that it was Tampa... since everyone felt they needed a new QB too. It wasn't until later in the draft that ESPN confirmed Tampa was the team.

I really only remember this, because I recall paying attention to Cadillac Williams that year and thinking that the Bucs made the right decision to back out.

lets go back in time....2005 nfl draft if the bucs move up to number 1...Take A.smith...who would you take with the fifth pick?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets go back in time....2005 nfl draft if the bucs move up to number 1...Take A.smith...who would you take with the fifth pick?

Aaron Rodgers....it's who I wanted with the #1 at the time. I actually thought more of Braylon Edwards at the time then I did of Smith, to be honest.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i wouldn't of been up set if we would of taken Edwards over smith..Just image if the 49ERS draft Would of went like this..

1. braylon Edwards-wr

2.Vincent Jackson-wr

3.Frank Gore-Rb

we didn't have a 4th round pick

5th Matt Cassel-qb

5th Bo Scaife-TE

6th Jay Ratliff-DT

7th Ryan Fitzpatrick-qb

7th Marcus Maxwell wr

7th Daven Holly cb

7thDerrick Johnson CB
i

PaleRider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's kind of funny because Rodgers was a 'Tedford QB' which was the kiss of death for some people. I really liked him and hoped we would take him over Smith, but that's all water under the bridge. I do remember Jon Gruden drooling over Smith that year when he was coaching the Bucs. Who knows, there could have been more to it.

If Smith fails this year I'm on board for Barkley or maybe even Luck if we are that horrible. Don't know that I would feel comfortable giving up multiple picks for either of them however if we finish middle of the pack and would have to give up a king's ransom. I think Tolzein can be developed rather quickly and Kap has a high ceiling but who knows how long he will take.

taughtmepatience

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers would have looked like crap on that 2005 team, which was one of the worst teams ever assembled. Joe Montana and Steve Young would have sucked on that team. QB development is almost as important as QB talent... it's time to move on...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we drafted rodgers he'd most likely be out of the league because of concussions.