• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1st Round: LA Lakers vs Portland Trailblazers

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit..A good team adjusts their game according to how the refs are calling the game. Blaming the refs is an old old strategy used by losers

3 fouls on AD at halftime, 2 offensive fouls called on LeBron.

The Lakers shot a ton of free throws because they relentlessly attacked the paint, as they should in this matchup.

The Blazers didn’t because they took a lot of jump shots. Again, probably as they should.

The Lakers were top 10 in the league in FTA, while the Blazers were bottom 10.

Disparities like this aren’t commonplace, but the Lakers should get to the line more than the Blazers because of how both teams tend to play.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lakers shot a ton of free throws because they relentlessly attacked the paint, as they should in this matchup.

The Blazers didn’t because they took a lot of jump shots. Again, probably as they should.

Disparities like this aren’t commonplace, but the Lakers should get to the line more than the Blazers because of how both teams tend to play.
Ive Ive it before, but its been awhile since the Lakers have been in a playoff game

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean haters will always hate on the Lakers and try to make it up

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Kyle Kuzma good?

He is, but he's young and learning to play alongside 2 superstars. He wants to be the reliable 3rd option that the Lakers need, but right now, he's been inconsistent.

He's hit some big shots and played good defense, but he just isn't as consistent as he needs to be.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is, but he's young and learning to play alongside 2 superstars. He wants to be the reliable 3rd option that the Lakers need, but right now, he's been inconsistent.

He's hit some big shots and played good defense, but he just isn't as consistent as he needs to be.

It is funny, because I thought his rep coming out of college was as a shooter.

He is a decent shooter. But that really isn’t his game. He does a little bit of everything.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny, because I thought his rep coming out of college was as a shooter.

He is a decent shooter. But that really isn’t his game. He does a little bit of everything.

That’s what seems to be most inconsistent for him lol. He is a willing and pretty good defender, he needs to just be more in attack mode bc he is a pretty good scorer but he’s young, that will come in time. Only way I would flip him if it’s for a shooter/scorer like Bojan...not sure that would ever be on the table though

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Kuzma is what you see. He is a guy who will be streaky and when he is hot, he can put up a lot of points, but when he is not -- it won't stop him from shooting and it can hurt the team.
I think if he found a happy medium where he put the ball on the floor more and get to the hoop, instead of firing up 3's -- he'd be more effective and more consistent.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As you said though -- it isn't easy to play along 2 superstars. So I think the more he plays alongside those two, the more he will get accustomed to doing it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kuzma is what you see. He is a guy who will be streaky and when he is hot, he can put up a lot of points, but when he is not -- it won't stop him from shooting and it can hurt the team.
I think if he found a happy medium where he put the ball on the floor more and get to the hoop, instead of firing up 3's -- he'd be more effective and more consistent.

Yeah, that's where I think he's still learning. Prior to Lebron's arrival, he was part of the Lakers young team that was all learning together. He was able to carve out a bigger role for himself and he knew how many shots he was going to get and when.

Now, his shots come a lot less frequently and predictably. So he has to learn how to take advantage when those opportunities come.

I think/hope he will get it figured out. Bosh and Love both struggled in that role at times. Although, to be fair, they were adjusting from being #1 options on their previous teams.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers were attacking the basket because they can't shoot 3's and the Blazers were shooting from the perimeter because they can.

That's the difference in free throw attempts.
BOOM.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NBA is rigged. It's pretty easy to see their narrative...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To an extent, sure. 31 FTs in a half? Stop, that’s a lot for a game

Yes, it's a lot, but not out of line for how the game was being played.

The Blazers were called for 25 fouls and the Lakers were called for 21 fouls.

The free throw discrepancy was Lakers 43, Blazers 19.

The reason for the discrepancy is because the Blazers were fouling players who were attacking the basket, specifically Lebron and AD. That meant most of the fouls the Blazers committed were in the act of shooting. Add to that the fact that teams automatically get free throws after the 5th foul...it adds up to a lot of free throws.

Meanwhile, the Blazers were shooting mainly from the perimeter, so most of the fouls the Lakers committed were non-shooting fouls. So, often times, the Blazers were having to wait until the Lakers had committed their 5th foul before they got free throws.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it's a lot, but not out of line for how the game was being played.

The Blazers were called for 25 fouls and the Lakers were called for 21 fouls.

The free throw discrepancy was Lakers 43, Blazers 19.

The reason for the discrepancy is because the Blazers were fouling players who were attacking the basket, specifically Lebron and AD. That meant most of the fouls the Blazers committed were in the act of shooting. Add to that the fact that teams automatically get free throws after the 5th foul...it adds up to a lot of free throws.

Meanwhile, the Blazers were shooting mainly from the perimeter, so most of the fouls the Lakers committed were non-shooting fouls. So, often times, the Blazers were having to wait until the Lakers had committed their 5th foul before they got free throws.

Not sure why people are surprised. The Lakers best players attack the basket, that is their strength and even more with their struggles from deep. The Blazers best players are jump shooters (for the most part). I could see if Portland was attacking more but they aren't.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA is rigged. It's pretty easy to see their narrative...

Okay which two teams will make it to the Finals? Who will win? And in how many games? While you're at it will the scores of each Finals game be?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay which two teams will make it to the Finals? Who will win? And in how many games? While you're at it will the scores of each Finals game be?

If it's rigged than it should be Bucks-Clippers in the Finals. No guarantee that will happen at this point. Other than a couple matchups these playoffs have been more interesting than it's been for awhile. No Golden State or Cleveland like it was for 4 years straight.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's rigged than it should be Bucks-Clippers in the Finals. No guarantee that will happen at this point. Other than a couple matchups these playoffs have been more interesting than it's been for awhile. No Golden State or Cleveland like it was for 4 years straight.

I want the Heat in the Finals just to see wiggy's epic metldown.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why people are surprised. The Lakers best players attack the basket, that is their strength and even more with their struggles from deep. The Blazers best players are jump shooters (for the most part). I could see if Portland was attacking more but they aren't.

Yeah, the discrepancy looks bad on paper. So, I get why people want to look at the refs. But when you look at how each team plays it becomes much more understandable.