• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WR Depth

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no doubt we want better WR's, so no one get that part wrong. in the bigger picture, we'd want better WR's even if Crabtree was healthy.

yeah Jenkins and Lockette lack game experience, but not KW. Jenkins and Lockette lack game experience but they're not rookies either. you need to know where they stand - especially Jenkins - so TC and some Pre-Season is exactly where you start.

fans always say "at a reasonable price", but you get what you pay for. it is uncommon to sign good talent at a 'reasonable price'.

next, is there a 'reasonably' talented WR out there, cause all teams are at maximum rosters. you'd think no 'reasonably' talented WR....at a reasonable price, will be available till 2nd round cuts?

kw is a slot wr at best, i dont want him starting.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't agree with that. Lloyd has talent, is available, and probably wouldn't cost all that much as no other teams have shown interest. The problem isn't his ability or pricetag, it's the fact that he's a head case. Deion Branch is tolerable, Mike Sims-Walker is a solid possession guy, Steve Breaston or Early Doucet could be a third or fourth receiver from the slot. Guys are out there, but they have little to no upside. For that reason, I'd much rather see what the young guys can do.

head case??!! then that's even worse.

anyway, first you say there are guys out there implying i'm wrong ("don't agree with that"), but then say you don't want any of them yourself. so you really have the same opinion as I (your last sentence says the same thing), so what was your point?

not arguing, but asking?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i think this Lockette kid can be our diamond in the rough. some what like how we found TO.

I don't see the similarities in how we found them. One was a 3rd round pick, the other was plucked off another team's PS.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

anyway, first you say there are guys out there implying i'm wrong ("don't agree with that"), but then say you don't want any of them yourself. so you really have the same opinion as I (your last sentence says the same thing), so what was your point?

not arguing, but asking?

I don't see any sort of agreement in the two statements. You're saying that there aren't reasonable WRs available for reasonable prices, crimson lists a few guys that counter that.

Just because you agree that we shouldn't add a WR doesn't mean you agree on everything in the post.

You and I might agree that Aaron Hernandez should not get a life sentence. One of us may feel it's because he's not guilty, the other may feel he deserves the death penalty. I wouldn't say we agree, but we have both reached the same conclusion (not a life sentence).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

not arguing, but asking?

We agree that we should not sign anyone. Our reasons for not wanting to do so are different. You apparently don't believe there is anyone on the market who can contribute at a reasonable price. I disagree with that. I have no doubt that Lloyd would be one of our top-four receivers, for instance, at least to open the season. I don't want a player like Lloyd or one of the other guys because they would be a one-year vet who lacks upside taking the place of a potentially promising younger player. I think we need to groom the WRs on our roster.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed Crimson, it's time to see what the cabinet has. Can these youngsters play? If not then get someone. But we need to think towards the future. Boldin is a one year rental, more than likely. So test our depth. Luckily the RB stable is packed. So even if we lean heavy on run the first 8 games, the rest of the season we have Manningham and Crabtree making possible returns. I'm happy to see what our reserves can do in a game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We agree that we should not sign anyone. Our reasons for not wanting to do so are different. You apparently don't believe there is anyone on the market who can contribute at a reasonable price. I disagree with that. I have no doubt that Lloyd would be one of our top-four receivers, for instance, at least to open the season. I don't want a player like Lloyd or one of the other guys because they would be a one-year vet who lacks upside taking the place of a potentially promising younger player. I think we need to groom the WRs on our roster.

ok, got what you meant.

for the record, my first reason by far is the same as yours, it is posted earlier. later did add this other secondary reason, to which you're responding. no big deal, but now you might understand why I asked.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have Boldin and don't have Crabtree.... I don't think we are any less experienced than we were in the playoffs last year. With Manningham back by mid season we should be more experienced than we were in the playoffs last year at WR.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's my biggest concern about the WRs with Crabby out:

Blocking.

AJ Jenkins doesn't strike me as a great blocker. Manningham can block, but will he be any good after that nasty injury?

The Niners need a big ole tough SOB with long arms at WR IMO. Boldin obviously helps, but blocking (& red zone receiving) needs to be priority #1 on offense because the running game needs to be their bread & butter.

Too bad the Niners didn't have more picks in the draft because Deandre Hopkins would've fit that bill pretty well IMO. Tough. Might not have had the ceiling Justin Hunter has as an outside threat, but he's the kind of guy who's gonna own the ball when it's in the air like Tyler Eifert did at Notre Dame, and he's not gonne get pushed around.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think with WRs blocking is largely about effort. You can't expect your WRs to pancake guys, but if they can get in the way and disrupt angles, they're being successful.

KW is a good blocker as well, despite his size. Don't forget about him.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kaep gets better at his progressions the loss of Crabtree can be mitigated somewhat. Still Painful watching the Super Bowl with kaep locked on Crabs with Moss running wild and free for an easy touchdown. Hopefully the silver lining is Kaep will look more at Davis and other options. And before the hate starts I am not taking anything away from kaep think he did a phenomenal job just pointing out he does have room to improve and his favorite target being out a bit might help in that part of his development.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Crazy trade scenario time!

Say Bears are having a terrible season before the trade deadline. What would it take to get 'em to unload Brandon Marshall?

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Stop messing around. You dream too big.

lol this is true.

The single most frustrating thing about this offseason was the fact that the Niners didn't sign DHB. I wanted that guy in a Niners' uniform more than almost any FA out there. Luckily for me, he only signed a 1-year deal with the Colts. That's insane IMO. I would've signed him to a 5-year contract if I had the chance. That's exactly what I hope the Niners do NEXT offseason when he's a FA again (as long as the Colts don't extend his deal).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to see the 49ers sign a Vet like Lloyd just in case Boldin goes down. I dont want to take a chance that one of the young guys will step up. If Boldin did go down we would be in big trouble. I think it would be nice to see Lloyd come for circle and come back to the 49ers.

Opinions?

There is no depth in the 49er wide receiver corps. It is the league's worst without Crabtree and Manningham.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Another thing about DHB: he was cut so it wouldn't have affected compensatory pick(s). :mad2:

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is no depth in the 49er wide receiver corps. It is the league's worst without Crabtree and Manningham.

I agree.

We need to sign or trade for a vet ASAP.

I'm tired of the "let's develop Kyle Williams or Lockette" by plugging them in at starting WR BS. Those guys can fight it out to be the #3 WR.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

We need to sign or trade for a vet ASAP.

I'm tired of the "let's develop Kyle Williams or Lockette" by plugging them in at starting WR BS. Those guys can fight it out to be the #3 WR.

Time to deal Carlos Rodgers for a WR. Also Da'Rick Rogers would have been a fantastic gamble pick in day 3.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Time to deal Carlos Rodgers for a WR.

I would agree with that if there were anyone decent out there. The only names of which I could think (the teams willing to trade) are Santonio Holmes & Sydney Rice. And neither of those teams need a CB (and Seattle would never deal with the Niners). And the Jets would want pick(s) not a veteran player.

I could see the Eagles being willing to deal Desean Jackson, but that would cost more than just Rodgers.

Dallas might be willing to deal Miles Austin, but probably not.