• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WR Depth

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to see the 49ers sign a Vet like Lloyd just in case Boldin goes down. I dont want to take a chance that one of the young guys will step up. If Boldin did go down we would be in big trouble. I think it would be nice to see Lloyd come for circle and come back to the 49ers.

Opinions?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we know what Lloyd or another vet would bring to our team. We should see what the young guys can do in TC & maybe a couple of preseason games and if they aren't stepping up go after a vet then.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really want to see the 49ers sign a Vet like Lloyd just in case Boldin goes down. I dont want to take a chance that one of the young guys will step up. If Boldin did go down we would be in big trouble. I think it would be nice to see Lloyd come for circle and come back to the 49ers.

Opinions?

my OPINION is continue evaluating who we have TILL Boldin goes down, IF he goes down? don't think he has an injury history or does he? isn't one of his attributes being strong and dependable? so not saying he won't get injured, but the odds are low.

KW isn't young and neither Jenkins or Lockette are rookies. granted Jenkins and Lockette are young with experience, but not so young we have to sign someone NOW. both worked hard WITH Kaep which is a big step.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manningham may be back by mid season. KW will be ready by TC. Plus it's time to see what Jenkins has. I think the WR group is fine for now. Plus our foundation is running. And we have a stable of great backs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manningham may be back by mid season. KW will be ready by TC. Plus it's time to see what Jenkins has. I think the WR group is fine for now. Plus our foundation is running. And we have a stable of great backs.

yep, we're still a balanced offense with running the ball.

also, we should use Vernon Davis a little more anyway.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree we should grab someone. we need to have talent at wr for kap. whoever we sign will have it easy with davis and boldin out there.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

may isn't good enough.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
may isn't good enough.

IMO we'll be fine even without Manningham........all season. doesn't mean I don't want him back cause most certainly do, but don't see this decision hinging on his return? the big factor is what you got in KW, Jenkins, and Lockette, so give them a chance to show it (TC and Pre-Season).

if our FO felt we needed to sign another WR now, they would have. OR, maybe they feel at this stage - all teams at 90 players - there isn't a WR worth signing?

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. KW is a solid 2/3 pre-injury. Jenkins/Lockette are unknowns. Patton is even more obscure in foretelling game impact. So getting a solid 2 vet only hinders our ability to evaluate talent for the future. Plus, if Manningham returns to form he is a solid 2.

As stated we also have Davis and McD at TE. Add Kap's option/running threat.

Wow we seam to have a lot of talent. Is there room for improvement? Sure. But I'm not that greedy.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't want to bring in a veteran, but if we were to, the only guy I would look at would be Moss.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO we'll be fine even without Manningham........all season. doesn't mean I don't want him back cause most certainly do, but don't see this decision hinging on his return? the big factor is what you got in KW, Jenkins, and Lockette, so give them a chance to show it (TC and Pre-Season).

if our FO felt we needed to sign another WR now, they would have. OR, maybe they feel at this stage - all teams at 90 players - there isn't a WR worth signing?

kap hasn't even played a full season. we can't give him some welfare wr crew.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
kap hasn't even played a full season. we can't give him some welfare wr crew.

He's hardly got a welfare crew. He's got a very experienced and savvy vet in Boldin. He's got a first round pick with unique physical ability in Jenkins. He's got a solid second receiver and great third receiver in Manningham once he gets back on the field. He's got a shifty slot receiver he showed some chemistry with in Williams. He has a best friend who has a rare size-speed combination in Lockette. And he has a fourth round receiver who was widely considered a second or third round prospect and one of the more polished guys in this draft in Patton. That's to go along with arguably the most physically talented TE in the league in Davis, and a second TE with rare length and surprising smoothness. And a RB corps that's full of talented players who can run and catch the football.

At this point, I don't want a vet to take the roster spot of one of our young guys. If we add a vet, Crabtree and Manningham return, and assuming Boldin remains healthy, we've got two additional roster spots max. Crabtree is the only one of those four listed guys under contract for 2014. We have to groom some players to be our future at the position. If we get most of the way through camp and no one has stepped up, we may have to consider adding a vet. But for now, I'm content with what we have.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just dont want to be left short handed like we were against the giants all we had was 1 WR. its better to be safe then sorry

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think this Lockette kid can be our diamond in the rough. some what like how we found TO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i just dont want to be left short handed like we were against the giants all we had was 1 WR. its better to be safe then sorry

The point is that if we sign a vet, we're going with the same sort of quick fix approach that we used last year with Manningham and Moss. That didn't work out so well. We need some longterm plans at the WR position, and that means grooming young players. We can't do that if our young players don't make the roster.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it worked out ok to me. We made it to the superbowl. Also I don't think Lloyd is as washed up as Moss is. Lloyd can give us a little more. Going with unproven young players can be scary. If we had Crabtree I would say we are fine but right now we just need a fix until he comes back. Also don't forget Crabtree is a FA after this year.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's hardly got a welfare crew. He's got a very experienced and savvy vet in Boldin. He's got a first round pick with unique physical ability in Jenkins. He's got a solid second receiver and great third receiver in Manningham once he gets back on the field. He's got a shifty slot receiver he showed some chemistry with in Williams. He has a best friend who has a rare size-speed combination in Lockette. And he has a fourth round receiver who was widely considered a second or third round prospect and one of the more polished guys in this draft in Patton. That's to go along with arguably the most physically talented TE in the league in Davis, and a second TE with rare length and surprising smoothness. And a RB corps that's full of talented players who can run and catch the football.

At this point, I don't want a vet to take the roster spot of one of our young guys. If we add a vet, Crabtree and Manningham return, and assuming Boldin remains healthy, we've got two additional roster spots max. Crabtree is the only one of those four listed guys under contract for 2014. We have to groom some players to be our future at the position. If we get most of the way through camp and no one has stepped up, we may have to consider adding a vet. But for now, I'm content with what we have.

we have vernon and boldin. outside of that we have inexperience. we should bring in a vet for a decent price. if kap was a seasoned vet i wouldn't mind our current wr situation. kap's top target last year was crabtree and he's out. kap is still a young qb who will go through growing pains. we need to give him solid weapons and not some inexperienced wr's who may not be ready. i think patton could be a surprise but i'd rather work him in slowly.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well it worked out ok to me. We made it to the superbowl. Also I don't think Lloyd is as washed up as Moss is. Lloyd can give us a little more. Going with unproven young players can be scary. If we had Crabtree I would say we are fine but right now we just need a fix until he comes back. Also don't forget Crabtree is a FA after this year.

Crabtree is under contract through 2014. But if he weren't it would only reinforce my point. We need homegrown talent at the position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we have vernon and boldin. outside of that we have inexperience. we should bring in a vet for a decent price. if kap was a seasoned vet i wouldn't mind our current wr situation. kap's top target last year was crabtree and he's out. kap is still a young qb who will go through growing pains. we need to give him solid weapons and not some inexperienced wr's who may not be ready. i think patton could be a surprise but i'd rather work him in slowly.

there is no doubt we want better WR's, so no one get that part wrong. in the bigger picture, we'd want better WR's even if Crabtree was healthy.

yeah Jenkins and Lockette lack game experience, but not KW. Jenkins and Lockette lack game experience but they're not rookies either. you need to know where they stand - especially Jenkins - so TC and some Pre-Season is exactly where you start.

fans always say "at a reasonable price", but you get what you pay for. it is uncommon to sign good talent at a 'reasonable price'.

next, is there a 'reasonably' talented WR out there, cause all teams are at maximum rosters. you'd think no 'reasonably' talented WR....at a reasonable price, will be available till 2nd round cuts?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
there is no doubt we want better WR's, so no one get that part wrong. in the bigger picture, we'd want better WR's even if Crabtree was healthy.

yeah Jenkins and Lockette lack game experience, but not KW. Jenkins and Lockette lack game experience but they're not rookies either. you need to know where they stand - especially Jenkins - so TC and some Pre-Season is exactly where you start.

fans always say "at a reasonable price", but you get what you pay for. it is uncommon to sign good talent at a 'reasonable price'.

next, is there a 'reasonably' talented WR out there, cause all teams are at maximum rosters. you'd think no 'reasonably' talented WR....at a reasonable price, will be available till 2nd round cuts?

I don't agree with that. Lloyd has talent, is available, and probably wouldn't cost all that much as no other teams have shown interest. The problem isn't his ability or pricetag, it's the fact that he's a head case. Deion Branch is tolerable, Mike Sims-Walker is a solid possession guy, Steve Breaston or Early Doucet could be a third or fourth receiver from the slot. Guys are out there, but they have little to no upside. For that reason, I'd much rather see what the young guys can do.