• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WOW! (Devils to receive 30th Pick in 1st Round (Kovy Penalty)

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it sounds good cap but we will never know if thats how it went down. just like all other conspiracy theories. lou gambled by taking the 29th pick and instead of losing out he hit zero on the roulette wheel and got half his money back today.

We all know you hate his guts but you, like the rest of us have absolutely no way of knowing whether he had an agreement in place or not before the filing. If he didn't it was a calculated gamble that he'd win (one i agree I wouldn't have taken). If he did it's a no-brainer. You have no way of knowing if it was a gamble or not.

This article leads you to believe the league let him know, but again we will never know because no one will ever admit:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/...huk_signing_back_from_nhl.html#incart_m-rpt-1

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We all know you hate his guts but you, like the rest of us have absolutely no way of knowing whether he had an agreement in place or not before the filing. If he didn't it was a calculated gamble that he'd win (one i agree I wouldn't have taken). If he did it's a no-brainer. You have no way of knowing if it was a gamble or not.

This article leads you to believe the league let him know, but again we will never know because no one will ever admit:

Devils will get first round pick and $1.5 million of fine for Ilya Kovalchuk signing back from NHL | NJ.com

Yea true.

All that we do know was that an appeal was made and the NHL finally got around to handling and presenting their conclusion today.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy we get the pick back..better then nothing even if its 30th. Devs draft better late anyways.

And it doesnt give those who want us to tank any more motivation lol.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day this is a good thing guys. We now have a draft pick when we all thought we would not. It may not be as high as you would like it to be, but we now have 1 more first rounder than we all thought we would. This is a positive thing everyone.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd again like to point out, that although Lou might have simply gotten lucky here, I seriously doubt it. As I mentioned above over the past two drafts there have constantly been member of the hockey press suggesting that there was a back channel deal so the Devils wouldn't have to give up the 1st.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i agree i am happy we got the pick it is better then nothing. but like many have posted there is NOWAY of us ever knowing the truth.

with that being said lou took a stupid gamble and got lucky. imo he should've have even put himself in this position to get the "charity" from the nhl.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i agree i am happy we got the pick it is better then nothing. but like many have posted there is NOWAY of us ever knowing the truth.

with that being said lou took a stupid gamble and got lucky. imo he should've have even put himself in this position to get the "charity" from the nhl.

That contradicts what you're saying. We don't know if he took a gamble or not.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That contradicts what you're saying. We don't know if he took a gamble or not.

since we will never know the truth you have to go with what is published. which is that lou filed an appeal in January the nhl decided to ease the punishment.

which means lou in fact did gamble in 2012 by keeping the 29th pick.

until he comes out and says "i knew all along i was getting this pick". you can't really give him credit.

kinda like roswell. we all can assume what went on but until we know for sure well nothing happened

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou needs to write a book when he finally retires entitled, "What I know that you didn't: The underworld of professional sports".

KingOfNJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cant look at what happened today and be anything but happy about it.

I always liked the idea of Lou just continuing to kick the can down the curb each year and let time go by until it was time to actually forfeit the pick. I think this was the plan all along. I knew there would be a meeting at some point this year and I'm not that surprised we got the pick back.

We'll never know exactly what happened, but good job Lou. Doesn't make up for yesterday though!!

devil421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Was a 30th pick added to the first round or did another team lose it? If just added then it's also the first pick in the 2nd round ;)

Fwiw, if I could have lunch with anyone, Lou would be VERY near the top of that list. Maybe even #1. I still trust in Lou.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well thats what i dont get. i'm reading everyone is in lou we trust mode again. but why? he "lucked" into the nhl caving on the penalty. when if he just gave up the 29th pick we could possible be in a lotto position right now? we can't trade the 30th pick in the draft

if the devils miss the playoffs we basically kept the 29th and it cost us a chance at the #1 pick since everyone who misses can now win the lotto. yeah we get the 30th pick but was it really worth it?

I'm glad we got the pick back but imo the pick was the least we lost from the Kovy contract