• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worild tagged as a 'transition player'

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea he was transitioning from male to female.

Relax...just kidding.

This means the Steelers have 5 days to match any offers for him and he's supposed to be highly sought after.

The question is, what do we get if he accepts an offer from another team? Do we just lose a guy or do we get a draft pick in return?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Relax...just kidding.

This means the Steelers have 5 days to match any offers for him and he's supposed to be highly sought after.

The question is, what do we get if he accepts an offer from another team? Do we just lose a guy or do we get a draft pick in return?

It's tough to say... But I think this move is basically the Steelers setting the bar for what teams have to pay to get him and it allows the Steelers the right to at least counter offer instead of letting Worilds straight up walk.. But that's just my understanding of a transition tag.

The bigger idea to get from this move is that the Steelers are showing they want Worilds. And it doesn't bode well for Woodley.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Relax...just kidding.

The Steelers don't get anything if Worilds takes an offer from another team, other than the right to match any offer that other team makes. And, if the Steelers match another teams offer, Worilds has to take what the Steelers match with.

I'd say Worilds is safe. If Jason doesn't take any other deal, he's guaranteed something like $9.7M for the 2014 season from the Steelers. That number right there will make it very difficult for another team to swoop in and make a deal too much for the Steelers to match. If they're allocating almost 10M for him for next season, I can't see another team willing to up the ante even further.

Never say never though, i guess..

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Steelers don't get anything if Worilds takes an offer from another team, other than the right to match any offer that other team makes. And, if the Steelers match another teams offer, Worilds has to take what the Steelers match with.

I'd say Worilds is safe. If Jason doesn't take any other deal, he's guaranteed something like $9.7M for the 2014 season from the Steelers. That number right there will make it very difficult for another team to swoop in and make a deal too much for the Steelers to match. If they're allocating almost 10M for him for next season, I can't see another team willing to up the ante even further.

Never say never though, i guess..

:agree:

Setting the bar high

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Relax...just kidding.

Ha ha...the team gets nothing if you use the transition tag from my understanding.

Smart move by Colbert. They are essentially saying we really don't don't your true market value, but we want you to we're going to pay you among the top 10% at your position for next season.

In the meantime, make your agent earn his keep and go find out what your value is on the open market. It's a tough call because any team signing him would have to exceed his tag figure (roughly $9 mil & change) for this season even on a multi year deal I'm pretty sure.

Now, a team that really wants him can offer a 5/40/20g type and front end load the '14 season at say $11mil and back it down to $5mil in '15 and still achieve the $8mil per season average that Kruger got. IMO the bottom line is who wants to break the bank this season on a guy with only 1 season of great play?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks more likely that he is going to stay in PIT. Let's just hope that he stays healthy... I still have my doubts about the kid, but I have more about Woodley.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks more likely that he is going to stay in PIT. Let's just hope that he stays healthy... I still have my doubts about the kid, but I have more about Woodley.

I think Woodley is still the better player if 100% healthy when it comes to pass rushing, but I don't think he'll be 100% anymore...not for 16 games. Woodley has heard the whispers and now they're no longer whispers...people are talking out loud about his lack of performance...if he's got any competitive fire left we should see it this year...but, to be honest I question how much more does he really want to do it?

He should be financially secure now...I wouldn't blame him if he said I'm done. PIT has made their call and I think Woodley is plan B at this point.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Woodley is still the better player if 100% healthy when it comes to pass rushing, but I don't think he'll be 100% anymore...not for 16 games. Woodley has heard the whispers and now they're no longer whispers...people are talking out loud about his lack of performance...if he's got any competitive fire left we should see it this year...but, to be honest I question how much more does he really want to do it?

He should be financially secure now...I wouldn't blame him if he said I'm done. PIT has made their call and I think Woodley is plan B at this point.

I don't think the "fire" burns much brighter than it SHOULD right after the allegations surfaced... Sure, he got himself in better shape, but the fire/intensity on the field just wasn't there. Watching him in person he looked deflated... He wasn't pacing the sidelines pumping up his teammates like he used to. The rotation they had going during that period of time was pretty demotivating for him. But still, he should have been proving himself a lot more than he did. It was almost like he thought he only had to prove to others he could get himself into better shape again. Once he received recognition in camps/workouts it never translated onto the field. A lot of my friends think he has a big head on his shoulders, and I can't blame them. You can talk about circumstances (injuries), but he just hasn't been the same player since getting the big contract.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the "fire" burns much brighter than it SHOULD right after the allegations surfaced... Sure, he got himself in better shape, but the fire/intensity on the field just wasn't there. Watching him in person he looked deflated... He wasn't pacing the sidelines pumping up his teammates like he used to. The rotation they had going during that period of time was pretty demotivating for him. But still, he should have been proving himself a lot more than he did. It was almost like he thought he only had to prove to others he could get himself into better shape again. Once he received recognition in camps/workouts it never translated onto the field. A lot of my friends think he has a big head on his shoulders, and I can't blame them. You can talk about circumstances (injuries), but he just hasn't been the same player since getting the big contract.

At the end of the day...that's very true...he hasn't. Good guy, does a lot for people with needs, but the curtain falls on every NFL career. I do think the leg injuries have taken years off his career, but his certainly did lined up well with the big contract...it's football, it happens.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day...that's very true...he hasn't. Good guy, does a lot for people with needs, but the curtain falls on every NFL career. I do think the leg injuries have taken years off his career, but his certainly did lined up well with the big contract...it's football, it happens.

That's one thing about him that has never changed. He has always done a lot for the community. Nothing could ever take away from that, but other forces of nature are taking his career away from him. Like you said, it's football and it happens.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the risk of highjacking my own thread, if we cut Woodley, don't we take a hit on the cap anyway?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the risk of highjacking my own thread, if we cut Woodley, don't we take a hit on the cap anyway?

Yup.. A very large hit of $14.2mil if they cut him before June 1st... Waiting until after June 1 would allow the Steelers to push some of that penalty into 2014. But that move would not come in time to get Worilds locked up.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he signed the transition offer, hes not going anywhere, hes here all year, unless woodley takes a big pay cut, they will cut woodley and sign worild long term.

if woodley takes a cut, they could keep them both

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he signed the transition offer, hes not going anywhere, hes here all year, unless woodley takes a big pay cut, they will cut woodley and sign worild long term.

if woodley takes a cut, they could keep them both

I don't know that the Steelers would be willing to take a 14M dollar hit on the cap for cutting Woodley. What do they gain by that?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they do it now its a huge hit, if they do it later its far far less

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worilds wants to be a Steeler...I expect a long term deal as well...Woodley, I don't expect anything to happen until after June 1...not that he would've been there anyway, but this pretty much wipes Mack off their board and likely bumps Shaq into the conversation for depth.

The cap hit is part of it, but I can see PIT actually keeping Woodley and getting a rotation on the right side with JJ...who clearly was not ready to play that position LY.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that the Steelers would be willing to take a 14M dollar hit on the cap for cutting Woodley. What do they gain by that?

Well, he's signed for 3 more years. You'd save in the long run for a short term hit.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Figured you gents would appreciate this. Not sure if you saw it or not. :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
question_mark.gif

Are you speaking of the ignorance of the OP???

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea we heard from Art Rooney II last month basically saying the same thing. The entire team has the desire to keep Worilds around. Priority numero uno is signing Ben to his new contract. Doubt we'll see any talks with Worilds until after that is done. But if Worilds asks for anything over $30mil then he'll price himself out of Pittsburgh.

IMO he's not worth anything more than that. He's average to good, not great. This will be his 5th year in the league, and at 26 years old (turning 27 next month) he's still got a lot of miles left. He plays the 3-4 system well, but this might be a defense transitioning to a 4-3 so not sure the team will value him as much. We shall see