• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worcester Sharks/Prospect News

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't see him play or talked to anyone who has.

His stats so far: 4gp 0pts 6shots 2pm +1

Sounds like he's perfectly capable for 3rd line duty with the big club... BRING HIM UP!!! LOL

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks have signed Sebastian Stalberg (Brother of Victor) out of the University of Vermont to a two year ELC.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's a totally crazy idea... how about having cheechoo loaned to the sharks? Is that impossible now that the deadline has passed? Cheech is having a very respectable year in the AHL with 19 goals and 47 pts, along with a +5 in Peoria. I dont think there is much a chance he could actually help the sharks, but anything is better than the current bottom 7.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, Stalock isnt getting any playing time in peoria. Maybe we'd have been better off playing him in worcester and putting sateri in the ECHL??? Another stupid move it would seem that stunts his growth?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clear Day rosters for the AHL have already been submitted. No one can be added to the roster except under contract CHL players or UFA's signed to PTO's.

I'm not sure why Stalock isn't playing. I've been reading the writer that follows the Rivermen. He expected Stalock to get the majority of the starts for the rest of the season and hasn't yet got an answer as to why Allen is starting instead.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
RDS reporting the Sharks are interested in signing QMJHL leading scorer Yanni Gourde once his MJ season is over.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess Doug likes to sign the undrafted?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Well, when you have traded all of your picks and then with the very few you actually use, trade those away, then it leaves you with lots of free contract spots for undrafted FA's. Ferriero, Desjardins, even sgarbossa, connoly and others. That said, this technique, while rarely successful, can work. Boyle, of course, Dustin penner, and several others fall into that category. When it does work, its like a total steal. Dont have to use a draft pick and you get a legit player on an ELC for next to nothing.

We'll see if stalberg becomes anything...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

On average undrafted signee's make and contribute at the NHL level at the same percentage as 4th round draft picks. Wilson uses this to supliment his traded later round picks.

Stalberg is the typical DWil player. A solid two-way winger who's primary focus is the defensive game. He has good offensive awareness but will probably never put up big numbers points wise at the AHL or NHL level.

Gourde draws a lot of comparisions to David Desharnais and a few to Martin St. Louis both in stature and playing ability. He is increadibly fast and agile. His only draw backs were his size and strength. Until this year he was very weak on the puck.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Got to see Thomas Heemskerk play last night, im less impressed with him then i was with Tyson Sucksmith. His technical game is top notch, but he isnt very quick and is overall just slow.

Granted it was the second night of a back 2 back, i dont see him being much more then an AHL starter or maybe a gate opener at the NHL level. Ill see him again next friday, though Olivier Roy is back so its a crap shoot

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stalberg made his debut with Worcester today. He had a goal and was named 3rd star in the 5 to 2 win.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
that's great to see that kind of debut. He led vermont by a whole lot on a really crappy team. If he develops into his brother, that would be awesome. Stalberg is a great 3rd line player and would fill a clear need for SJ. With Sgarbossa putting in yet another hat trick and dancing through the OHL, it's good to see at least another someone to look forward to.

I really hope sgarbossa's success is a function of being an older guy in a league of 16 and 17 year olds. Unfortunately, he reminds me a ton of patrick kane, and it would kill me if develops into anything like kane.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
that's great to see that kind of debut. He led vermont by a whole lot on a really crappy team. If he develops into his brother, that would be awesome. Stalberg is a great 3rd line player and would fill a clear need for SJ. With Sgarbossa putting in yet another hat trick and dancing through the OHL, it's good to see at least another someone to look forward to.

I really hope sgarbossa's success is a function of being an older guy in a league of 16 and 17 year olds. Unfortunately, he reminds me a ton of patrick kane, and it would kill me if develops into anything like kane.

I would have liked to see what Sgarbossa could do at the AHL level before they moved him but he's closer to a Alexandre Daigle than Patrick Kane.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From what I gather and what I saw in training camp, he is undersized like kane, but has unbelievable wheels and a pin point shot. I dunna if he has the moves and hands that kane does, but I worry about it. Aside from cooch (and maybe coyle), sgarbossa seemed like one of the most exciting prospects the sharks have had in a while. it's not every day that you own the leading scorer in the OHL, especially one who doesnt have a ton of talent around him in sudbury, unlike kane who had kostitsyn and gagner on his line.

may he fizzle out and become a nothing...

on the other hand, whats your take on nieto? He has a hell of a year for BU, though he is listed pretty small, which worries me. Whats the prognosis on him? How about F. hamilton? he doesnt seem all that dominant playing on a very strong niagara team. Does he have any top 6 potential, or just a possible mediocre third liner?

I would also love your take on moffie or abeltshauser. Any chance of those guys being top 4 dmen?

As of now, no skaters in worcester seems poised for any kind of major role in SJ (stalberg notwithstanding).

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From what I gather and what I saw in training camp, he is undersized like kane, but has unbelievable wheels and a pin point shot. I dunna if he has the moves and hands that kane does, but I worry about it. Aside from cooch (and maybe coyle), sgarbossa seemed like one of the most exciting prospects the sharks have had in a while. it's not every day that you own the leading scorer in the OHL, especially one who doesnt have a ton of talent around him in sudbury, unlike kane who had kostitsyn and gagner on his line.

may he fizzle out and become a nothing...

on the other hand, whats your take on nieto? He has a hell of a year for BU, though he is listed pretty small, which worries me. Whats the prognosis on him? How about F. hamilton? he doesnt seem all that dominant playing on a very strong niagara team. Does he have any top 6 potential, or just a possible mediocre third liner?

I would also love your take on moffie or abeltshauser. Any chance of those guys being top 4 dmen?

As of now, no skaters in worcester seems poised for any kind of major role in SJ (stalberg notwithstanding).

Sgarbossa's overall skating ability is very comparable to Torrey Mitchell. He has tremendous straight line speed just don't ask him to make a turn. His size doesn't hamper him playing in the OHL they way it will at the pro level. He scores most of his points from being able to plant himself in scoring areas in the O that won't fly at a higher level unless he really adds a lot of strength.

Nieto is not only the Sharks top forward prospect he's becoming one of the top forward prospects in the league. If he can pack on some muscle over the summer he may end up going the route of Pavelski and Couture. Spending limited time, maybe half the year, in Worcester before a call up to San Jose. It's going to depend on how well he adjusts to the pro style game vs college but he has all the tools to be a legit 1st line scoring winger.

F. Hamilton I'd compare to someone like Chad LaRose. He's a high energy guy who plays smart in all three zones. I think Hamilton has better vision and a little more offensive ability than LaRose though.

I really don't know much about Moffie other than he's a good skater and has a heck of a shot.

Abeltshauser is one of the biggest surprises in the Q this year. Both his positioning and mobility are greatly improved from last year and coupled with his size he has been a dominate force for Halifax. Don't expect much offense from him at the pro level though.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lee Moffie's college season ended yesterday. This was his junior year and if he plans to turn pro we may hear something fairly soon.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
HeemSuck got called up to Woostah, which is odd considering Stalock isnt getting any starts in peoria.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
HeemSuck got called up to Woostah, which is odd considering Stalock isnt getting any starts in peoria.

I believe Sateri was injured late in their last game. He finished the game but whatever it is may still be bothering him.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is wrenn technically still a sharks prospect? He was drafting by SJ, but I thought he wasnt signed?