• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Women's World Cup Thread

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh, gotcha...I'm not following all that closely

Yeah Ireland was in good shape until the own goal in stoppage time right before half then it all went downhill for them

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canada just take the lead against Ireland with a fantastic cross to get the goal.

As far as the US 3 peating I can't see them doing it. I'd love it but I just don't see it. The talent the rest of the world has caught up to the US
The rest of the world closed the gap for sure and they may not win because that is incredibly difficult to do, but they are still the most talented team and by a decent amount IMO

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rest of the world closed the gap for sure and they may not win because that is incredibly difficult to do, but they are still the most talented team and by a decent amount IMO

Spain will be a problem. Also, health is a potential issue for the US as well

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vlatko defends his lack of subs, "we had control of the game"

No you didnt!!

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw before the game the Dutch coach said something like now that teams have caught up with the US fitness and preparation wise there isn't much difference between the top sides. Thought that was interesting. I tend to agree - I think the talent level is pretty even.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw before the game the Dutch coach said something like now that teams have caught up with the US fitness and preparation wise there isn't much difference between the top sides. Thought that was interesting. I tend to agree - I think the talent level is pretty even.
The Netherlands are a fantastic team. It was amazing to see how clinical they were and how superior they were technically to the US squad. I swear they had 15 on the pitch a few times the way they just seemed to be everywhere. Athletically their back line couldn't stay with our forwards and we just ran right by them, but without any of those breaks converting the match was even. They outplayed us as they played like a team and we looked like the 90's Lakers looking to fast break. But, even with that, their goal likely doesn't happen if our keeper was in better position instead of hugging the near post. I guess she was having trouble seeing through the bodies because it seemed she didn't even attempt to cut off the angle. Also, our young stars could have done better with the ball at their feet in and around the box. Going 1 v 3 in tight spaces doesn't usually work out too well. To me it looked like we had the superior squad and they the superior coaching/preparation

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Netherlands are a fantastic team. It was amazing to see how clinical they were and how superior they were technically to the US squad. I swear they had 15 on the pitch a few times the way they just seemed to be everywhere. Athletically their back line couldn't stay with our forwards and we just ran right by them, but without any of those breaks converting the match was even. They outplayed us as they played like a team and we looked like the 90's Lakers looking to fast break. But, even with that, their goal likely doesn't happen if our keeper was in better position instead of hugging the near post. I guess she was having trouble seeing through the bodies because it seemed she didn't even attempt to cut off the angle. Also, our young stars could have done better with the ball at their feet in and around the box. Going 1 v 3 in tight spaces doesn't usually work out too well. To me it looked like we had the superior squad and they the superior coaching/preparation
Yeah the US were getting too "cute" when they had the ball at their feet. They tried to make a back heel/nutmeg pass when they should have just turned, faced the defender and made a pass. I do not like Dunn, Sullivan combo either. Dunn was getting beat and leaving her mark wide open the entire game. Sullivan whiffing completely cost the US the goal and then Dunn getting so out of position. Fortunately Ertz saved both their asses on numerous occasions!

Sophia Smith and Trinity Rodman are very fast and skillful but weren't getting much he'll upfront. Alex Morgan was doing her best but getting double teamed. God I hope Rose is healthy enough to play a full 90.

Not sure why Mewis and O'Hara aren't getting more playing time

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another 1-0 win for England. They were really good for the first 20 minutes before Keira Walsh got hurt. That's probably our four best players out of the tournament with knee injuries now...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another 1-0 win for England. They were really good for the first 20 minutes before Keira Walsh got hurt. That's probably our four best players out of the tournament with knee injuries now...

Both England and US not at full strength and it is showing

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are people's thoughts on the US match tomorrow?

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USA for the three-peat?
I was hoping so, but it appears that they are spending too much time worrying about getting paid, LGBQFGHUS and protesting the national anthem. They havent looked good in either of their first two matches.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are people's thoughts on the US match tomorrow?
Can't imagine they'll have any trouble getting past Portugal. I suppose there is a decent chance they'll only finish second on goal difference if the Dutch really try against Vietnam but I'm not sure it makes much difference whether they finish first or second. Actually finishing second and playing Sweden/Japan in the next couple of rounds might be better than Italy/Spain.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't imagine they'll have any trouble getting past Portugal. I suppose there is a decent chance they'll only finish second on goal difference if the Dutch really try against Vietnam but I'm not sure it makes much difference whether they finish first or second. Actually finishing second and playing Sweden/Japan in the next couple of rounds might be better than Italy/Spain.

Portugal will want nothing more than to knock off the US and will throw everything they have at them and if Vlatko refuses to make any line-up changes they are in serious trouble. Yes facing those two opponents (Sweden/Japan) would be more favorable on paper but the old cliché, you don't know until the games are played, especially during a world cup.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I think Sweden are better than Spain personally but I think Sweden match up better for the US.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spain will be a problem. Also, health is a potential issue for the US as well

Both England and US not at full strength and it is showing
Think of all the US Team that is injured right now. Becky, Tierna, Abby, Sam, Macario, Press, and Mal... Believe also we can toss in Midge and I suppose we could also mention Tobin.

That's almost an entire starting other team.

However, man I'm going to hate this 3am game (for me). Plus I've got to fast for a Dr. appt later that morning... ugh.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of all the US Team that is injured right now. Becky, Tierna, Abby, Sam, Macario, Press, and Mal... Believe also we can toss in Midge and I suppose we could also mention Tobin.

That's almost an entire starting other team.

However, man I'm going to hate this 3am game (for me). Plus I've got to fast for a Dr. appt later that morning... ugh.

not to mention Press didn't even make team

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to mention Press didn't even make team
Press just underwent her 3rd scoping on her knee (4th surgery) a few months back. She was in no shape to go.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Press just underwent her 3rd scoping on her knee (4th surgery) a few months back. She was in no shape to go.

Oh I know... I was just saying she is also missed. But I knew she wasn't making the squad but image her our that with Swanson, Mewis and Morgan

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know... I was just saying she is also missed. But I knew she wasn't making the squad but image her our that with Swanson, Mewis and Morgan
I actually think the starting line up at wing and striker might have been, Press, Macario and Swanson. Macario at the 9. With Smith as the super sub.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the starting line up at wing and striker might have been, Press, Macario and Swanson. Macario at the 9. With Smith as the super sub.

I do like that line-up. Doubt Vlatko would do that. He needs to go. So wish Press and Swanson weren't injured. I'd feel so much more confident, though I still wouldn't think they'd 3-peat but have a much better chance

Unispired football this morning and the US barely advances. Thank god it didn't come down to goal differential since Netherlands scored 7 against Vietnam!