• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the 14th pick in the 2015 NFL draft, Miami Dolphins Select...

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With todays loss and other results, the dolphins have clinched the 14th pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

This may have been the lone silver-lining of a late season collapse to miss the playoffs. I think we were picking in the late teens into the 20s when we were in the playoff picture.

Best player available will be the approach - and with the 14th pick we have a pretty good shot at getting a real good one - where as picking later, we still would have had a good one but I believe the real difference makers, at least with regards to first round talents, lie between the first 15 picks.

This gives us flexibility to consider addressing different areas if our first choices arent available - and a little more room to move up or down and get picks if needed.

With that said , when the time comes, before the draft - we need to attempt to make some trades and acquire some picks before the draft to have at our disposal. We have some tradeable pieces.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes true Paolo must be BPA and hopefully a stud falls at a position of need. If not I wouldn't be against trading back and acquiring more picks. I would kill for an Urlacher to fall to this team...watch the run and pass D improve instantly...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes true Paolo must be BPA and hopefully a stud falls at a position of need. If not I wouldn't be against trading back and acquiring more picks. I would kill for an Urlacher to fall to this team...watch the run and pass D improve instantly...

#14 is the ideal spot to draft a quality player. If the Fins want an OLB there are 2 very good players at that position that could be available. Vic Beasley of Clemson & Shaq Thompson of Washington are both great talents. At MLB McKinney and Perryman are both productive players. If the Fins add a LB with their first pick then I think they need to add a veteran UFA DT to improve the DLine.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone even know if Albert will come back 100%? And if not, Hickey perhaps should start thinking about what to do with our line that just allowed 7 freaking sacks to the Jets. I mean, yes....a stud linebacker or DT would be awesome, and truly could be what our defense would need to take it to a whole new level. But in a passing league, where the quarterback is undoubtedly the most vital piece on the team, do we REALLY want Tannehill to be sacked another 40-50 times? This team needs to FINALLY fix this shoddy O-line once and for all, if there happens to be a dominant/ elite offensive lineman when our pick comes up I say we nab him. Lets hope Hickey has another solid draft.....

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone even know if Albert will come back 100%? And if not, Hickey perhaps should start thinking about what to do with our line that just allowed 7 freaking sacks to the Jets. I mean, yes....a stud linebacker or DT would be awesome, and truly could be what our defense would need to take it to a whole new level. But in a passing league, where the quarterback is undoubtedly the most vital piece on the team, do we REALLY want Tannehill to be sacked another 40-50 times? This team needs to FINALLY fix this shoddy O-line once and for all, if there happens to be a dominant/ elite offensive lineman when our pick comes up I say we nab him. Lets hope Hickey has another solid draft.....

Adding veterans to the Oline is the best decision. Rookies need more time to develop usually. The Fins need another quality veteran OT for depth. The ideal scenario is that Albert recovers well. His injury happened on November 9th. Average athletes could fully recover usually in a year from an ACL injury. Professional athletes with top medical and physical therapy treatment can recover sooner than a year. Albert also injured his MCL though so it's tougher to estimate his recovery time. My guess is that if the Fins were to pick the best LT available in the draft as soon as the rookie was about ready to play well Albert would come back and the rookie would be sitting on the bench during games. (See Jordan at DE) Drafting the top RT would make even less sense because J James has proven himself already at RT. The Fins need to protect Tannehill but that's not the reason they weren't in the playoffs. The Fins are 24th in the NFL at stopping the run. That problem starts with the Dline (DE's and DT's) and then linebackers. The Fins' LB's had a lot of injuries and that was part of the problem also.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RE the Jets getting 7 sacks vs the Fins: A lot of that has to do with the Jets good coaching. They use there LB's really well to get to QB's plus they have a very good Dline. The Jets sacked Brady 4 times the week before. That's a lot of sacks to Brady also. It ties the Pats' first game when the Fins sacked Brady 4 times and won the game.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding veterans to the Oline is the best decision. Rookies need more time to develop usually. The Fins need another quality veteran OT for depth. The ideal scenario is that Albert recovers well. His injury happened on November 9th. Average athletes could fully recover usually in a year from an ACL injury. Professional athletes with top medical and physical therapy treatment can recover sooner than a year. Albert also injured his MCL though so it's tougher to estimate his recovery time. My guess is that if the Fins were to pick the best LT available in the draft as soon as the rookie was about ready to play well Albert would come back and the rookie would be sitting on the bench during games. (See Jordan at DE) Drafting the top RT would make even less sense because J James has proven himself already at RT. The Fins need to protect Tannehill but that's not the reason they weren't in the playoffs. The Fins are 24th in the NFL at stopping the run. That problem starts with the Dline (DE's and DT's) and then linebackers. The Fins' LB's had a lot of injuries and that was part of the problem also.

Good points and well said Fan....I just cringe when 3 members(seemingly every damn year)of our O-line are virtually 'turnstiles' to opposing defenses. We spent YEARS talking about how nice it would be to have a good QB....now that we've got 1, our line is horrible. It would be really nice if for just ONE year we spend some coin on a free agent O-lineman and he's worth more than a stick of bubble gum. So many O-lineman we spent big bucks on, NONE of them produced even a little(Satelle might be the lone exception this past season). Smiley, Berger, Clabo, etc etc etc. I'm sure you're right about upgrading the line through FA, just need to finally get the right guys. We also need a really solid draft, and I'm not just referring to the 1st damn round. We need to find studs(like Zach Thomas) in the later rounds. ONE solid draft might be all this team really needs. Oh, and a head coach that maybe has half a clue how to extract the most from his players. Just sayin'.....

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that we're all praying that Albert comes back healthy. I'm sure they'll try to find better depth just in case plus some of the younger guys should be better even a guy like Thomas as he had some experience this year.

On D I think MLB would help all around but I wouldn't be pissed with a run stuffing DT either.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Fins could go wrong picking the best available DT in the draft or a LB. The top two MLB's in the draft could probably stuff the run better than what the Fins LB's have done this year. Misi missed 5 games but seemed to play OK at times at MLB as a run stuffer. Jenkins played great at OLB. At OLB McCain didn't play much yet he had glimpses of big play ability in the first game. He got a sack on Brady but seemed to disappear all year. I don't know if he was injured so he played sparingly or if it was poor development of his talents by the coaches? He seems to have good potential. He played in 10 games but had only five tackles. Jenkins had a much better second year so maybe McCain will also. Trusnik provides depth at MLB and he's a special teams talent. The other LB's on the roster weren't impressive this year. Jordan is a bit of a wild card. He could play some OLB in the right defense. Cameron Wake went to the Pro Bowl as an OLB before making the switch to DE. Good pass rushers can make an impact from the OLB spot also. The team needs to decide early on how to develop Jordan's talent and work at it in training camp and preseason. The best available CB in the second round could be a good choice also.

Last edited by a moderator:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points and well said Fan....I just cringe when 3 members(seemingly every damn year)of our O-line are virtually 'turnstiles' to opposing defenses. We spent YEARS talking about how nice it would be to have a good QB....now that we've got 1, our line is horrible. It would be really nice if for just ONE year we spend some coin on a free agent O-lineman and he's worth more than a stick of bubble gum. So many O-lineman we spent big bucks on, NONE of them produced even a little(Satelle might be the lone exception this past season). Smiley, Berger, Clabo, etc etc etc. I'm sure you're right about upgrading the line through FA, just need to finally get the right guys. We also need a really solid draft, and I'm not just referring to the 1st damn round. We need to find studs(like Zach Thomas) in the later rounds. ONE solid draft might be all this team really needs. Oh, and a head coach that maybe has half a clue how to extract the most from his players. Just sayin'.....

The Fins Oline could use another starting OG. Clint Boling or Orlando Franklin are worth considering.They could use B. Turner for depth at OG. Adding another veteran OT should be a priority. The player could start as needed at LT as Albert is recovering from his injury. Also, I think the Fins should draft the best available olineman in the middle rounds to develop for the future.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins Oline could use another starting OG. Clint Boling or Orlando Franklin are worth considering.They could use B. Turner for depth at OG. Adding another veteran OT should be a priority. The player could start as needed at LT as Albert is recovering from his injury. Also, I think the Fins should draft the best available olineman in the middle rounds to develop for the future.

I would be stoked if Miami got Franklin-the guy is a beast and can play multiple positions on the line. I would really like to see Hickey nab one of the premier O-linemen in FA, rather than settling for the 'next tier' players like Ireland used to do almost routinely. One really solid veteran O-lineman could really make the difference next year. Hopefully you're right, hopefully we finally get some return on the younger guys. Damn, D. Thomas was nothing short of atrocious. Its very hard for me to believe he was the better option over Fox. Could Fox have been any worse than Thomas? I find that extremely hard to believe.....

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be stoked if Miami got Franklin-the guy is a beast and can play multiple positions on the line. I would really like to see Hickey nab one of the premier O-linemen in FA, rather than settling for the 'next tier' players like Ireland used to do almost routinely. One really solid veteran O-lineman could really make the difference next year. Hopefully you're right, hopefully we finally get some return on the younger guys. Damn, D. Thomas was nothing short of atrocious. Its very hard for me to believe he was the better option over Fox. Could Fox have been any worse than Thomas? I find that extremely hard to believe.....

I remember Fox giving up sacks and pressures a lot in the preseason games. Also, it wasn't a good sign for him that he didn't start until D Thomas struggled. Fox played more in the last two games and was a part of a high scoring game against the Vikings. He seems to play RT better than LT but that puts J James out of his best position which is RT. Is Fox someone that the Fins can count on at OT? I don't know. That will be one of the decisions that the team will have to make. Fox was on a 1 yr contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it this way Thomas and Fox would be fine back ups but starting for numerous games wasn't the best scenario this year. We just have to hope that Thomas learned from the experience and will be better next year. Hopefully at G and T. I do agree that they need to bring in at least one FA G maybe two. Would be nice to get one of the best FA's as that would solidify the line and allow the younger guys time to earn the job. I'm expecting Turner to push for one position next year.