• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With or without Murray.....

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team needs to draft a new running back. Each back in this draft is different from the other and each have their own skillsets that make them unique. Each also comes at a price (in terms of draft picks). If you had to design a running back for this offense, who best fits your mold from this incoming class?

For me, Murray was a fine fit for this offense so I'll start with him and add/subtract things from there.

Vision - Murray wasn't great in this area, but was adequate. Sometimes he left yards on the field. (± upgrade possible but not a necessity)
Hands - Murray was an adept reciever but a little loose with the ball. (+ Needs upgrade)
Pass pro - Murray was adequate, he'd engage and had pretty good success. (upgrade not needed)
Ability - Murray isn't the fastest nor most agile, but he got the job done. (± upgrade possible but not a necessity)
Toughness - This was once a knock on Murray, but I think as he matured he got better dealing with pain. He also inflicts some punishment on the opponant when he wants to. (± upgrade possible but not a necessity)

Looking at the list of running backs in the draft, I can only come up with a couple that I THINK fit my mold: T.Gurley, T.Coleman
Lack one thing from the mold: J.Langford, J.Ajayi, Da.Johnson
Lack two things from the mold: M.Gordon, T.Yeldon, A.Abdullah, Du.Johnson, D.Cobb, K.Williams
Lack multiple things, but will still be worthy of draft pick but are more of a back-up: M.Davis, M.Brown, C.Artis-Payne, D.Brown, M.Jones, J.Robinson

Keep in mind, I'm not comparing but more or less sorting. I realize a few of you may have a completely different view on these RBs including Murray. This is just how I see them. IMO There is only one RB that I would draft in the first round and that's Gurley. I could get on board with Coleman in the second. The rest, would have to be third rounders or later.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team needs to draft a new running back. Each back in this draft is different from the other and each have their own skillsets that make them unique. Each also comes at a price (in terms of draft picks). If you had to design a running back for this offense, who best fits your mold from this incoming class?

For me, Murray was a fine fit for this offense so I'll start with him and add/subtract things from there.

Vision - Murray wasn't great in this area, but was adequate. Sometimes he left yards on the field. (± upgrade possible but not a necessity)
Hands - Murray was an adept reciever but a little loose with the ball. (+ Needs upgrade)
Pass pro - Murray was adequate, he'd engage and had pretty good success. (upgrade not needed)
Ability - Murray isn't the fastest nor most agile, but he got the job done. (± upgrade possible but not a necessity)
Toughness - This was once a knock on Murray, but I think as he matured he got better dealing with pain. He also inflicts some punishment on the opponant when he wants to. (± upgrade possible but not a necessity)

Looking at the list of running backs in the draft, I can only come up with a couple that I THINK fit my mold: T.Gurley, T.Coleman
Lack one thing from the mold: J.Langford, J.Ajayi, Da.Johnson
Lack two things from the mold: M.Gordon, T.Yeldon, A.Abdullah, Du.Johnson, D.Cobb, K.Williams
Lack multiple things, but will still be worthy of draft pick but are more of a back-up: M.Davis, M.Brown, C.Artis-Payne, D.Brown, M.Jones, J.Robinson

Keep in mind, I'm not comparing but more or less sorting. I realize a few of you may have a completely different view on these RBs including Murray. This is just how I see them. IMO There is only one RB that I would draft in the first round and that's Gurley. I could get on board with Coleman in the second. The rest, would have to be third rounders or later.

You've forgotten one very important category-durability (- Needs upgrade).

But agree, I would take Murray over ANY RB in this draft. If we lose him to FA and the AP dream never materializes however, I could definitely see them trading back into the top of the 2nd round for Gurley (if he is still available there because of recent injury), but also signing a vet RB in FA until he's ready.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, I see Murray ranking a lot higher in those categories. His vision is very good. His hands are very good. His pass protection is very good. I think his fumbles are a little overrated because they all came in a bunch. I'm not saying fumbling is OK, but how many fumbles in his career before this year? And also because we didn't recover any of them. On average the offense recovers about half of their fumbles. The other team recovered all 5 of Murray's which made it look even worse. Ability is really just everything combined and the guy was the league MVP (IMO) so I'd say he is very good there too.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, I see Murray ranking a lot higher in those categories. His vision is very good. His hands are very good. His pass protection is very good. I think his fumbles are a little overrated because they all came in a bunch. I'm not saying fumbling is OK, but how many fumbles in his career before this year? And also because we didn't recover any of them. On average the offense recovers about half of their fumbles. The other team recovered all 5 of Murray's which made it look even worse. Ability is really just everything combined and the guy was the league MVP (IMO) so I'd say he is very good there too.

His fumble in the GB playoff game in the wide open field for a sure TD, hurt this team big time! I don't agree with your logic here and so easily dismissing his well documented fumbling problems, especially the way he carries the ball like a loaf of bread in one hand after already fumbling....in reality, it is a technical issue with him.

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree...Murray was the best back in football last season

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His fumble in the GB playoff game in the wide open field for a sure TD, hurt this team big time! I don't agree with your logic here and so easily dismissing his well documented fumbling problems, especially the way he carries the ball like a loaf of bread in one hand after already fumbling....in reality, it is a technical issue with him.

AP had 9 fumbles in his last 2 full seasons both with less carries than Murray in 2014. His last full year he had more than 100 less carriers then Murray and he still coughed it up 5 times.

I think were dismissing AP's fumbling problem.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP had 9 fumbles in his last 2 full seasons both with less carries than Murray in 2014. His last full year he had more than 100 less carriers then Murray and he still coughed it up 5 times.

I think were dismissing AP's fumbling problem.

LOL. But that doesn't help his point.

For the record I wasn't dismissing Murray's fumbling problems at all. I was simply stating they aren't nearly as bad as they have been made out to be. So if we recovered 3 of his 5 fumbles and he only lost two would we really be highlighting it as a huge problem? And how many lost fumbles would that give him for his career? That was my point.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree...Murray was the best back in football last season

Funny thing is by just how much he was the best back in the NFL. He had almost 500 yards more than the next closest guy and added 100 yards per game in the playoffs. Plus he had 13 rushing TDs

Last edited:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. But that doesn't help his point.

For the record I wasn't dismissing Murray's fumbling problems at all. I was simply stating they aren't nearly as bad as they have been made out to be. So if we recovered 3 of his 5 fumbles and he only lost two would we really be highlighting it as a huge problem? And how many lost fumbles would that give him for his career? That was my point.

With the season and number of carriers he had it's barley worth mentioning . The only reason it does get put on the radar is the nature of that GB fumble. It was a hell of play by peppers but he only got a couple of fingers on it

Murray should have had a better grip but I know why he didn't ...this might sting a bit.

He was too busy looking at all that daylight! ...good lord.

Murray.jpg

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you don't see there is GB had a single high safety so it wasn't going to be 6...but a darn big gainer for sure. Big fumble there

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray was fantastic last year....Is it Debatable that Le'Veaon Bell was as good in terms of complete all around back? Regardless I get the point He was amazing but without try to make revisionist history I really believe if Murray didn't fumble and score the TD against GB we likely when that game. Devils Advocate there's absolutely know way I can prove that.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray was fantastic last year....Is it Debatable that Le'Veaon Bell was as good in terms of complete all around back? Regardless I get the point He was amazing but without try to make revisionist history I really believe if Murray didn't fumble and score the TD against GB we likely (win) that game. Devils Advocate there's absolutely know way I can prove that.

I agree...at that point of the game, it was game, set, and match. Playing for a shot at the SB. Sorry, I had to correct your little typo from "when" to win. :thumb:

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray was a stud in college playing behind a horrid line. Put him behind a good line and he is going to put up huge numbers. Way better than adequate in pass protection. My god do some of you even watch the games????? The problem with murray is he can't go the entire season without getting hurt. As soon as he broke his hand he lost aggresiveness. Buyer beware. He has not earned a huge payday because he can't stay healthy. Huge gamble possibly huge reward as he is the complete package when not hurt

Reactions: DJ

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray was a stud in college playing behind a horrid line. Put him behind a good line and he is going to put up huge numbers. Way better than adequate in pass protection. My god do some of you even watch the games????? The problem with murray is he can't go the entire season without getting hurt. As soon as he broke his hand he lost aggresiveness. Buyer beware. He has not earned a huge payday because he can't stay healthy. Huge gamble possibly huge reward as he is the complete package when not hurt

Did he sit out against the Colts? No. He manned up.

The following week his loss of aggressiveness was on full display vs the skins with another 100 yards and a franchise record. I don't want to break the bank for him either but how do you go about penalizing a guy for something we don't know will happen.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I guess I didn't think I was being too negative or picking Murray apart. I was pointing out areas in his game that could use improvement should we find a suitable protege in this draft. To his credit, in this loaded draft I can only find 1 guy I feel confidant in and 1 other that has his traits, but has less skill.

I don't understand the reaction to him being adequate at pass pro like thats a shot at Murray. Is he perfect? No, but his technique, willingness and ability to pick up a free man is a strength of his. Basically, I'm just saying that I would not want a replacement back to be much worse than him in that area.

Ability to me isn't the whole package, it was meant as a runner or receiver. Does he follow his blocks, keep his pads in front of him, can he juke a defender, use stiff arm, spin, balance all that stuff that a good runningback should have. I wouldn't change a thing in that area, though I know there are backs faster or more agile, he has shown these skills time and again. I would also want our next back to have his ability in this area.

Finally, the injury statements. I think the fact he plays RB makes him an injury risk moreso than any other position outside of maybe QB. Health is a little fluky IMO, but he just made it through an entire season for the first time, which happens to coincide with better line play. Was that the reason? Did he take better care of his body? Who knows.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post Husker. Murray has been training in the off season with ultimate fighter types since drafted I don't think he's changed anything with regards to offseason work outs and preparation for the coming season. I do think injuries are more often than not just real bad luck. It's not a flaw in the player, but I'm a Sean Lee nut hugger so I'd think the same about a quality dedicated player like Murray as well. Not saying you are trashing Murray but I strongly buy in to what Garrett is saying about the type of player they want.

Thought it was interesting that this week Red J, Romo and Murray took a field trip to Duke to visit with coach K.

Couple that with the three being seen earlier at an SMU basketball game and I'd say there is still hope.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it is true that RB's who can run well, especially behinds the Cowboys OLine, are a dime a dozen, but finding one who can run well and are good in pass protection is relatively hard. Theres many guys out their who dont have starting jobs cause they are a liability in protecting the QB in passing situations. THis is one of the reasons that it will be harder for Dallas to replace Murray and Philly to replace McCoy then most people think.

Do any of you want Trent Richardson? I have a draft guide that says, "A sure fire star with all the tools. Pretty much a cant miss prospect." Finding good, well rounded RB's aren't as easy as many people are saying IMO.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft picks are always a crap shoot. Check out the top 10 picks from 2013. For various reasons most of those guys have yet to make an impact and even fewer had a year one impact

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will all depend on how much Murray wants. With him saying he will sign with Dallas for a little less as long as the offer is close to another there a good chance he back in Dallas. Not sure what Murray means by similar contracts but if another team beat Dallas by .5M a year for two more years he's taking the money. If any vet costs more than 5M a season I say go the draft route.