• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wine Talk?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That quiz actually worked for me.

I only drink red wines.... I don't like most white and dont have time to try to appreciate them....

Yeah, even though the quiz asks nothing about wine, I've found it to be a very accurate predictor of what noobs and winos gravitate towards.

I fall in the moderate to heavy oak spectrum according to the quiz which is just right. I drink almost all red, though I like heavily oaked Chardonnays sometimes and bone-dry Rieslings, even, as I said in the opening post.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
today was my first day of work in over months

it was exactly as i thought it would be

so i'm drinking a delicious bottle of Pacific Rim Dry Riesling right now. Nom nom.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 Chateau Ste. Michelle Dry Rielsing was really gross when it first came out. A pretty terrible vintage.

It is a perfect dry riesling right now, though. Get it while it's good.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 KungFu Girl Riesling.

Get it.

It's $9.99 in my neck of the woods, and easily the best value I've ever gotten for a bottle.

It's quite dry and has a wonderfully complex finish.

Seriously. Get it.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm making my very first batch of wine right now, a Cabernet. I don't have very high hopes for my first batch, but it's a learning experience and as long as it's not rancid I will will drink it. But I'm looking forward to starting my second batch once I get this one bottled. It is going to be a drunken winter!!!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much prefer reds over whites. Pinot Noirs are my favorite. Getting into Cab Francs which seem to making a popularity surge right now. I prefer my reds to have more earthy tones than fruity ones. I do enjoy a glass of dry white on a warm day. A nice dry French Rose is quite enjoyable as well.

LongHairedTimmeh

Bancroft Hall, USNA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My neighbor back home, a retiree, is into winemaking. Among the many fermentable items that he uses, he'll get his grandkids into another neighbor's lawn in the spring and fall to pick their dandelions to make into wine. He claims it ends up with a higher alcohol percentage than his fruit-based wines. Has anyone heard of this?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My neighbor back home, a retiree, is into winemaking. Among the many fermentable items that he uses, he'll get his grandkids into another neighbor's lawn in the spring and fall to pick their dandelions to make into wine. He claims it ends up with a higher alcohol percentage than his fruit-based wines. Has anyone heard of this?

fuck if i know. i've heard of dandelion wine, but never had it.

anyhoo, it's winter, so i'm drinking lots of cab, zin, syrah, and pinot noir. don't know why i like them so much more in winter.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My grandpa used to make it I was very young. Never heard of anyone else that I know making it..but yes...it has been an acceptable fermentable since before our time.

Nascar Addict

"Rootbeer's good for your root!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wine is for rich folks, old sad women, and winos. And I'm none of the above. Give me beer. And when my day is going bad, and I don't have to go to work... a shot of scotch.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wine is for rich folks, old sad women, and winos. And I'm none of the above. Give me beer. And when my day is going bad, and I don't have to go to work... a shot of scotch.
troglodyte.jpg

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like beer and scotch, too. Shooting scotch is a waste, and the sign of a child, though. Or somebody who likes to only buy shitty scotch.

Anyhoo, back to the thread topic, I tend to like red wine best, and drink it almost exclusively in the winter...mostly Cabs and Syrahs. Warm weather's about to hit, so I'm going to be getting some dry whites, too. Pacific Rim makes a nice dry riesling, and a few of the local vineyards around me make some good oaked chardonnays.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've been getting more into wine here lately...usually will get a 12 pack of a trusty IPA for FRI and Sat nights, and a couple of bottles of wine to get me through the work week, lol.

I like reds...old vine zin, cabernet sauvignon, and merlot are what i typically go for...usually in the $8-10 range

white's be too sweet n shit

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've been getting more into wine here lately...usually will get a 12 pack of a trusty IPA for FRI and Sat nights, and a couple of bottles of wine to get me through the work week, lol.

I like reds...old vine zin, cabernet sauvignon, and merlot are what i typically go for...usually in the $8-10 range

white's be too sweet n shit

yeah, man, i hate residual sugar in white wine.

there are some good dry and/or oaked whites that aren't sweet at all, though.