• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Phillies Are Not Winning

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't want to. This is a team that's simply missing "two" good players. Two players who can hit and hit with power. Those players are in the Phillies organization right now. They're young, talented, but must follow the MLB tireless regime of talent suppression seasoning before being called up to the big club.

I liked Bob Horner's attitude when he was drafted by ATL in 1978 out of ASU after hitting 59 homers in
college. Instead of meekly reporting to his assigned rookie league club, Horner said "fuck you, I don't play
in the minors." So, at 20, he started immediately with ATL and hit .266 with 23 HRs in 89 games, and had a brilliant though injury-shortened career.

It's amazing and embarrassing the garbage the Phillies throw out on the field. Burris, Hunter, Bourjos, etc., already proved in a half dozen years or more they can't excel at the MLB level. Meanwhile, someone in the Phillies organization found a young pitching staff that has excelled beyond expectations. The Phils have a crisp, solid, young infield. A team that goes .500 can look back at their 81-81 record and think, if we could have won 10 more of those games, we'd be 91-71!

If the Phillies would immediately release Howard in favor of Joseph, and replace Burris and Borjous with two talented outfielders now, they could contend now, this year, rather than ending up a .500 team. It doesn't matter if Asche and Altherr are in line for a job. Baseball is a game of breaks and luck. Guys must battle it out on the field. If guys like Alfaro or Williams, already with years at the lower level, prove they're not ready, they go back down energized by the experience and what they learned. Just two high OBP, hitting guys and the team wins more. Bob Horner, here's to ya for fighting the intransigent baseball bureaucracy! :suds:

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right jvett. Winning is not the main goal for the Phillies this year. But is that still a reason to have a
guy like Burris on the team? I don't see how. However I think that he is the 1st guy to get sent down when Asche is ready. Some of our prospects are struggling in the minors so there is no immediate solution. Playing Joseph at least 75% of the time makes sense right now. That adds better offense and defense right away. We are in need
of a number 5 pitcher as well. As far as Bob Horner goes, he was one of a kind. But a college player has the best
chance of jumping into the majors than anyone else. Your ideas make sense if there was an urgency to win
now. But that is not the case. Being patient is not easy when it seems that we are so close to being better.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't want to. This is a team that's simply missing "two" good players. Two players who can hit and hit with power. Those players are in the Phillies organization right now. They're young, talented, but must follow the MLB tireless regime of talent suppression seasoning before being called up to the big club.

I liked Bob Horner's attitude when he was drafted by ATL in 1978 out of ASU after hitting 59 homers in
college. Instead of meekly reporting to his assigned rookie league club, Horner said "fuck you, I don't play
in the minors." So, at 20, he started immediately with ATL and hit .266 with 23 HRs in 89 games, and had a brilliant though injury-shortened career.

It's amazing and embarrassing the garbage the Phillies throw out on the field. Burris, Hunter, Bourjos, etc., already proved in a half dozen years or more they can't excel at the MLB level. Meanwhile, someone in the Phillies organization found a young pitching staff that has excelled beyond expectations. The Phils have a crisp, solid, young infield. A team that goes .500 can look back at their 81-81 record and think, if we could have won 10 more of those games, we'd be 91-71!

If the Phillies would immediately release Howard in favor of Joseph, and replace Burris and Borjous with two talented outfielders now, they could contend now, this year, rather than ending up a .500 team. It doesn't matter if Asche and Altherr are in line for a job. Baseball is a game of breaks and luck. Guys must battle it out on the field. If guys like Alfaro or Williams, already with years at the lower level, prove they're not ready, they go back down energized by the experience and what they learned. Just two high OBP, hitting guys and the team wins more. Bob Horner, here's to ya for fighting the intransigent baseball bureaucracy! :suds:

I agree with some, disagree with other parts of this. They have a .500 record at the moment but honestly I believe the current team is not good enough to finish .500. They have still been outscored by 48 runs and some of their young starters may run out of steam as the season goes on (I don't think Velasquez has pitched more than about 80-100 innings before so they will probably not increase his workload that much in one season).

I do like the idea of drafting college guys though. It only took Nola a year after being drafted to make it to the big leagues. Hopefully we make another good pick in the draft next week.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"fuck you, I don't play in the minors." Brilliant

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

galvis and hernandez are big holes. ruiz has fallen off the map and rupp is a backup catcher. joseph has 1 walk so far and a .275 obp. franco is struggling. velasquez' innings will be limited. the back end of the pen will blow up at some point.

goeddel, not burriss, is hitting .288/.342 obp/.794 ops in may, and the offense has become worse. so one unknown outfielder is not going to save these guys.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

galvis and hernandez are big holes. ruiz has fallen off the map and rupp is a backup catcher. joseph has 1 walk so far and a .275 obp. franco is struggling. velasquez' innings will be limited. the back end of the pen will blow up at some point.

goeddel, not burriss, is hitting .288/.342 obp/.794 ops in may, and the offense has become worse. so one unknown outfielder is not going to save these guys.
But you're forgetting that the "unknown" outfielder is Ted William's frozen head on top of Mike Trout's decapitated body

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Si, Senors. I'm at On the Border in Paramus getting stuffed with enchiladas and margueritas so I can't talk intelligently right now. Thanks for the comments. If I'm bothered by any, I'll speak with the cartel guys.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we are now at a losing streak of 6 games and we are below .500 again. Northeast and a few others were correct in stating that winning appears to not be a priority even though everyone will state that it is in public. This team still has to learn to bounce back from defeats and keep winning a focus.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10:

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with some, disagree with other parts of this. They have a .500 record at the moment but honestly I believe the current team is not good enough to finish .500. They have still been outscored by 48 runs and some of their young starters may run out of steam as the season goes on (I don't think Velasquez has pitched more than about 80-100 innings before so they will probably not increase his workload that much in one season).

I do like the idea of drafting college guys though. It only took Nola a year after being drafted to make it to the big leagues. Hopefully we make another good pick in the draft next week.

:agree: The young starters will run out of steam as they progress and I'm glad they're up here to learn from it. The thing is that the Phils could be a .500 team this year with young, solid replacement parts in the outfield, and it would be easier to go forward from there. The standings do now correctly reflect the run differentials after recent losses. I think good moves will be made this year but it will take soooommmmm.....tiiiiimmmmm.

Yeah, draft the college guys like.

A.J. Puk, 20, LHP, 6'7", 230 lb., FLA, 2 yrs, 14-6, 3.59, 150K, 53 BB
Alec Hansen, 20, RHP, 6'7", 235 lb., OK, 2 yrs, 5-7, 4.05, 110K, 57 BB, fastball 94-98 mph