• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Leino over Carter?

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why does everyone hate Carter and think Leino is so much better for the team. Assuming Leino gets 3.5 to 4 per year, he will be making less than Carter. And Leino had an awesome playoff run last year while Carter looked a little lost in the playoffs. BUt he is a young sniper with an affordable cap hit given his production. 36 goals (7th in the league), a +27 and 3rd on the team in production vs. 19 goals and a +14 for Leino. And Carter was 13th in the NHL and tops on the Flyers in game winners. It isn't that I think he is a Hall of Famer, but the concept that simply dumping him just so we can afford Leino seems short sighted.
Moving him because his return would be so high and to fit other pieces under the cap makes sense. BUt that only bolsters my argument. SInce there are so many teams that want to give us such a high return for him, he is obviously not a garbage player.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont wanna deal carter to sign leino, leino isn't worth 3.5-4, no way.. i think that 8.5-9 million for them combined can be spent in other, probably better, ways.. i like carter, i think he was fantastic with giroux and jvr and i would love to see them stick it out another year.. but a deal like the 8th pick, voracek, and 3.5ish in cap space i think is more valuable than carter considering the flyers lack (not a strong enough word) of prospects.. at some point you're going to have to have EL contracts on the roster if you want to be compliant and next year the flyers wont have any, if they continue down this road.. and jvr/bob can hardly be considered EL contracts this year cause they both have hits over 1.5

i also think moving carter will shake up the core of the team, which i think is something that needs to happen.. i've watched teams with carter and richards crumble because they get bored time and time again and i'm tired of it

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree Awaz. If that trade is realistic, then it works on a few levels. We get cap space, get a young forward, get a pick...

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone hate Carter and think Leino is so much better for the team. Assuming Leino gets 3.5 to 4 per year, he will be making less than Carter. And Leino had an awesome playoff run last year while Carter looked a little lost in the playoffs. BUt he is a young sniper with an affordable cap hit given his production. 36 goals (7th in the league), a +27 and 3rd on the team in production vs. 19 goals and a +14 for Leino. And Carter was 13th in the NHL and tops on the Flyers in game winners. It isn't that I think he is a Hall of Famer, but the concept that simply dumping him just so we can afford Leino seems short sighted.
Moving him because his return would be so high and to fit other pieces under the cap makes sense. BUt that only bolsters my argument. SInce there are so many teams that want to give us such a high return for him, he is obviously not a garbage player.

Leino is a skilled puck mover and playmaker. Carter isn't. Carter is a scorer, that's it. That type of player doesn't fit in Lavi's system.

Goal/Assist/PlusMinus numbers aren't everything when determining a player's value/worth to an organization.

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SOul, what is then? His willingness to play out of position? His ability to kill penalties? His long term affordable cap hit? His youth over Leino? His spot on the top PP line? THe fact that Leino only had 4 more assists all year than the pure goal scorer? Or that he logs more ice time?
I get the basis of your argument, but I think Carter is someone that everyone overlooks b/c he makes it look easy. I don't think he is untouchable, just that he shouldn't be dumped for no reason.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SOul, what is then? His willingness to play out of position? His ability to kill penalties? His long term affordable cap hit? His youth over Leino? His spot on the top PP line? THe fact that Leino only had 4 more assists all year than the pure goal scorer? Or that he logs more ice time?
I get the basis of your argument, but I think Carter is someone that everyone overlooks b/c he makes it look easy. I don't think he is untouchable, just that he shouldn't be dumped for no reason.

He's not. He's (potentially) being dumped to enable us to sign an elite goaltender.

If my choices are to lose Carter, or lose Leino + other pieces -- I'm packing Jeff's bags myself.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone's saying that Carts is garbage that would be assine as he's a 30-40 goal man but that trade would make the Flyers better now and in the future its a win win.

Maybe down the road he'll prove us wrong but the Flyers don't have time to wait and see the cup opportunities are now. Between Voracek, JVR and Giroux they'll make up the 30 or so lost goals you can bank on that. Bryz will be the icing on the cake!

As for Leino he'll only stay if the contract is decent but I have a feeling that they'll have to go a cheaper route its too bad but they basically got him for nothing and if anything they could still trade his rights for a draft pick. They could let Powe go and replace him with Holmstrom and Wellwood could stick this year that would save some money from last years payroll which may allow Leino to stay as well....I'm not giving up hope but the price has to be right.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would rather have Carter over Leino and Hartnell...
Not sure where this COlumbus trade rumor came from, but that is a good trade for both sides if it happens.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me regular season Carter in the playoffs and yes agreed. Leino and Harts have performed well in the playoffs and in reality that's all that matters in my books cup or bust!

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Carter over Leino and Hartnell...
Not sure where this COlumbus trade rumor came from, but that is a good trade for both sides if it happens.

I would rather have Carter too, he is just so much easier to move.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just started a Be A Pro with him :)