• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's heading North? Spring Training begins.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well there's pictures of Pirate pitchers on the field in Bradenton if you follow the Pirates on Facebook.

So it's time to start speculating about who comes north for opening day.

There are quite a few players who are locks of course.

C - Barajas

1B - Jones
1B - McGehee

2B - Walker

SS - Barmes

3B - Alvarez

LF - Tabata

CF - McCutchen

RF - Presley

SP - McDonald
SP - Bedard
SP - Karstens

RP - Hanrahan

Who else would you add to the list? Are there any players with a chance to force us to make a spot? McPherson? Marte? Sanchez?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RP - Meek,Grill,Leroux , Resopand I bet Slaten and Moskoswill be the lefties in the bullpen.
SP - Correia unfortunately by default and Lincoln will get the shot if Burnett is on this team.
C - McKenry - they like him too much.
IF - Navarro for a Utlity since AB's are not needed for him vs Mercer and d'Arnaud.
OF - McLouth will head north.

Bench Bat - Harrison or Evans depending on how Alvarez does.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinest..... I agree with all your "locks" (13 players). I don't think McPherson, Marte, or Sanchez have much chance.

thedddd..... I agree with most of your adds.

- I see Juan Cruz and Tony Watson in the bullpen instead of Leroux and Moskos. I THINK Leroux has options, and I'm intrigued with the possibility that they may continue to stretch him out and let him start at Indy. I have little faith in Moskos, and I think Watson is better.

- Unfortunately, I think Correia is a lock (unless NH pulls off a miracle and trades him). Obviously, if we get Burnett, he's a lock. As implied by Illinest, Morton will probably start the season on the DL. If he does, we may see either Lincoln or Locke going north

- Yeah, McKenry is the likely backup at catcher. But since he has options, I wouldn't rule out Jose Morales or Jake Fox. Morales signed a minor league contract with the Bucs. Here are his stats:

Jose Morales Baseball Statistics - The Baseball Cube

- I also agree that Navarro should be the backup at SS, but we can't rule out the rule 5 guy, Gustavo Nunez..... and Hurdle seems to love D'Arnaud.

- I see McLouth as a lock.

- I think Evans should make the team.

Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Pirates may carry two back-up shortstops, as they often have done in the past. I don't like that, and I think it's wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Things may change a little bit around the edges (the 12th pitcher or the last guy on the bench), but I don't expect any major surprises.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Evans is a lock

I am eagerly waiting more info on Morton... to see what his status and timeline are.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoot I forgot about Juan Cruz. Yeah I see him making the team over Leroux or Resop.

I agree with both of you on Evans even if there is a McGehee/Jones platoon with Evans on the bench he could play 1B by McGehee plays third against lefties. That would be a way better team than Harrison at 3B.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cruz, Moskos, Meek, Grilli, Resop, Hanrahan, Corriea

Burnett, Bedard, Karstens, McDonald, Lincoln

Someone ought to check on who has options. Lincoln has to be running low by now doesn't he?

Resop Leroux and Grilli are the fringe pitchers who don't have an option left.

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to assume Morton isn't going to be healthy to start the season. Also, they don't need a 5th starter till April 20th or so, so I'm assuming they are only carrying 12 pitchers.

Rotation
SP: Burnett
SP: Bedard
SP: McDonald
SP: Karstens
SP: Correia

Bullpen
BP: Hanrahan
BP: Meek
BP: Resop
BP: Leroux
BP: Left handed reliever (Slaten, Moskos, maybe a waiver claim)
BP: Grilli
BP: Cruz

Lineup
C: Barajas
1B: Jones
2B: Walker
3B: Alvarez
SS: Barmes
LF: Presley
CF: McCutchen
RF: Tabata

Bench
McKenry (C)
McGehee (1B/3B)
McLouth (OF)
Navarro (IF)
Evans (1B/OF)

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I revised some of my projections.

Rotation
SP: Morton

Lineup
3B: McGehee

Bench
McKenry (C)
Hague (1B)
McLouth (OF)
Harrison (3B)
Navarro (MIF)

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I revised some of my projections.

Rotation
SP: Morton

Lineup
3B: McGehee

Bench
McKenry (C)
Hague (1B)
McLouth (OF)
Harrison (3B)
Navarro (MIF)

looks good to me,
maybe keep evans and send harrison down for everyday at bats and how to work some walks given his small strike zone. assuming evans or hague can play 3rd with navarro being able to play 3rd and everything else.

also, RP
hanny
meek
grilli
cruz
mccutcheon
resop
moskos - or best lefty that can thro strikes with attitude.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So hague with a 3 run homer today. He continues to hit well. Power? Maybe not enough for first but he avoids making outs.

Rather than gift alvarez with a spot on the roster that he hasnt earned i think we need to go with harrison and mcgehee at third. Best chance for production. Then hague can have the protection of being in a platoon with jones. Ideal opportunity for hague to get acclimated without too much pressure. Sure - his ceiling might not be all that high but id rather give him a chance that hes earned than give pedro a chance that he hasnt earned.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hague has a noticeable reverse platoon split over his career.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we know Bedard is pitching opening day. Really no shock to me since Burnett is out.

Evans and Boggs have been bad and it looks like Navarro is playing some OF and Harrison playing some SS. I have a weird feeling we might see Jake Fox make this team.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we know Bedard is pitching opening day. Really no shock to me since Burnett is out.

Evans and Boggs have been bad and it looks like Navarro is playing some OF and Harrison playing some SS. I have a weird feeling we might see Jake Fox make this team.

Strangely enough, the starting rotation recently announced is exactly what I would do under the current circumstances. Also, contrary to earlier reports, several recent accounts indicate that Correia would be the "odd-man-out" if both Burnett and Morton were healthy..... and that's encouraging.

From the start, I thought they were auditioning Boggs for a spot as AAA depth..... but he's been bad enough that they might release him.

At this point, Navarro seems a lock to make the team, and Harrison has a good shot as well.

Early on, I thought McGehee might platoon with Alvarez at 3B, and that Evans was likely to make the team as the 1B platoon partner for Jones, but I'm not so sure now. With Evans showing as poorly as he has..... along with indications that Hague's bat has impressed Hurdle..... maybe Hague has a chance to be Jones' righty platoon partner, despite Huntington's recent quote to the contrary.

I still don't think much of Fox's chances..... but as usual, so much (including the makeup of the bench) depends upon Alvarez. If he starts at Indy, a bench spot DOES open up for someone like Fox.

Hey, there's still enough time for more Spring Training surprises. I remain highly interested in how the bullpen is going to shake out.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's cuts (Mercer, Martis, Reyes, Slaten, and Morales) reduce the number of active players in camp to 34. In my opinion.....

- Mercer and Reyes had essentially no chance from the start. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

- I thought Slaten had a real shot, but he didn't pitch well and deserved to be cut.

- Martis was a bit of a surprise, since he's young with good stuff and HAS pitched well. On the other hand, perhaps they plan to groom him as a potential starter..... in which case, sending him to Indy makes good sense.

- I thought Morales had a real shot to be the back-up catcher, since McKenry has options remaining..... but his injury took him out of the picture.

The bullpen remains interesting. I count 12 guys left for 7 slots, with Moskos and Watson the only remaining lefties, and Cruz and Igarashi not on the 40-man roster yet. I may have missed someone, but here's the list of BP guys remaining in camp (in alphabetical order):

- Cruz
- Grilli
- Hanrahan
- Hughes
- Igarashi
- Leroux
- Lincoln
- McCutchen
- Meek
- Moskos
- Resop
- Watson

Five of those guys gotta go..... and then one more when Burnett comes off the DL.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been caught up, but do we know the status of the rotation? Because I think that will have a lot to do with who makes the bullpen.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been caught up, but do we know the status of the rotation? Because I think that will have a lot to do with who makes the bullpen.

Hurdle has announced that Bedard will be the opening day starter, followed by Karstens and McDonald. Correia is scheduled to start game 4 on the road. That's as far as the announcement went.

Apparently, the open question for game 5 is whether to go with Bedard, followed by Karstens, McDonald, and Correia again (which they can do because of those early open dates)..... or to plug Morton in for game 5.

Apparently, Morton WANTS to start game 5, but the team is planning to wait-and-see how he does during his next couple of spring starts. Given Morton's progress, it would be difficult for the team to start him on the DL..... although I guess they could still try that in order to keep an extra reliever.

It now appears that Burnett will be ready sooner than originally announced, as well. I haven't seen a possible date published yet, but he's ahead of schedule, and McKenry was quoted to the effect that Burnett was already "game ready." I believe McKenry was referring to Burnett's velocity, movement, and location in that quote..... rather than his arm strength and stamina.

It will be interesting to see what happens in both the rotation and the bullpen when Burnett comes off the DL.

And it's certainly a welcome change that both Morton and Burnett may return from injury AHEAD of schedule. When was the last time THAT happened with the Pirates?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Mags. Is there any talk of Lincoln starting game 5?

As for the Pen....I think McCutchen, Igarashi, and Hughes are easy cuts. They will keep one lefty, probably Watson, so I think Moskos goes down.

Overall, I think it comes down to Cruz, Grilli, and Lincoln for the last bullpen spot, and I believe Lincoln is out of options (not sure though) so that has to factor in as well.

It would be nice to Morton and Burnett return ASAP, but rather they be cautious, and get Lincoln some work.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what they do with Hague and Harrison...I'd like to see both of them start in Indy to be honest, but with Pedro struggling it seems more likely one is going to make the roster.

I guess Fox and Evans are still options.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Today's cuts (Mercer, Martis, Reyes, Slaten, and Morales) reduce the number of active players in camp to 34. In my opinion.....

- Mercer and Reyes had essentially no chance from the start. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

- I thought Slaten had a real shot, but he didn't pitch well and deserved to be cut.

- Martis was a bit of a surprise, since he's young with good stuff and HAS pitched well. On the other hand, perhaps they plan to groom him as a potential starter..... in which case, sending him to Indy makes good sense.

- I thought Morales had a real shot to be the back-up catcher, since McKenry has options remaining..... but his injury took him out of the picture.

The bullpen remains interesting. I count 12 guys left for 7 slots, with Moskos and Watson the only remaining lefties, and Cruz and Igarashi not on the 40-man roster yet. I may have missed someone, but here's the list of BP guys remaining in camp (in alphabetical order):

- Cruz
- Grilli
- Hanrahan
- Hughes
- Igarashi
- Leroux
- Lincoln
- McCutchen
- Meek
- Moskos
- Resop
- Watson

Five of those guys gotta go..... and then one more when Burnett comes off the DL.

5 starters should be
Game 1 - bedard
game 2 - karstens
game 3 - mcdonald
game 4 - correia
game 5 - bedard if he pitched well in game 1, morton if bedard struggled and morton ready to go 85 pitches.
game 6 - morton if bedard goes #5, bedard if morton went#5
add in burnett when ready to go, and take out an injured, tired, or correia and put that one in log relief.

pen = 7 arms
9th - hanrahan
8th - meek most of time and grilli
7th - resop/grilli/moskos/cruz
7th pen guy(until burnett bumps correia to pen) watson if you want a lefty, igarashi, if the other 2 have options, hughes if you go on potential projections.

AAA - leroux, lincoln, to be starters or with locke, owens, and morris.
- mccutcheon to be long relief. Hopefully these guys can be impressive to become trade chips or fill in when injuries hit.

i like hague as a PH who can probably hit in any situation off hte bench and doesnt need to start to be effective off the bench.
same with harrison, but would like him to learn how to be more selective and use his little strike zone to more advantage.
send alvarez down to get some AAA confidence hopefully.
love navarro.
keep evans over fox if it comes down to those 2.
7 infielders = jones, walker, barmes, mcgehee, navarro, harrison, hague.
2 cathers = barajas, McK
4 outfielders = mcc, presley, tabata, mccl

i am excited about this year, hopefully jones and mcgehee have figured big leagues out. barmes and barajas will be solid improvements.

love our outfield, hopefully we learn how to use our speed and dont get thrown out so much on the bases.

Give your thoughts on walker and whether he is peaking and we should sell HI, especially to phils with utley toast. he might improve more, but he was never that impressive in minors. love he is local, durable, does what is asked, and a switch hitter but dont know his splits(too lazy to look tonight!). can we package him and a pitcher, and a resurgent jones or corner outfielder for a stud corner guy. we have some 2B guys hanging around - harrison, mercer, d'arnaud, cunningham, navarro. just a thought as he is present star(along with hanny, morton, mcdonald, mccutch, tabata, presley, meek, with the most limited upside in my eyes.