• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I am excited about the potential

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not sure if it is the time of year, march 1 and all, or if it is a different level of talent, at least potential talent that we have in ST this year.

burnett and wandy are the best 1-2 we've had in a long time.
hopefully, with less pressure, McD can get his head on and go. he has the talent.
having locke and mcP come in fighting, ready, and answering the opening bell with powerful performances is great to see.
then we have a bunch of possibilities as 6-10 in liriano, morton, sanchez, karstens, cole, leroux, and even taillon isnt that far away from being our 4-5 guy in the rotation. wilson could even be an option with his stuff. some need to work on location, but that is more potential than we ever had in camp.
all 10 are great lively arms (except karstens).

we got guys in the BP - grilli, hughes, watson, melancon, morris, leroux, karstens, wilson, and several others that impresses last year in the high minors like johnson and a couple others i cant remember.

but in the field, we have some options and competition and guys with some potential to really upgrade what we got last year, as that is really what we need. we dont necessarily need all-stars, but we need upgrades.

cutch is great, will probably fall off a little bit, but hopefully make up for it with better D and more SB, with better consistency than the cold april and sept and torrid mid may - july.
walker hopefully is healthy and now entrenched as a good MLB hitter, can drive in runs, and can play 2B. no position to learn and prove, just have fun and play.
barmes will have a better defensive year because, yes, he will have a better offensive year. he will improve on the not so horrific second half numbers of last year.
alvarez will be more consistent and his BA and OBP will come up.
marte will be better just with seasoning, health, growth and exuberance. doesnt have to save the franchise.

tabata is serious now, abit more mature, slimmed down, and got his head in the game.
snider has potential and would be a good L/R platoon with tabata.
inge - great vet presence and can play everything with a stick as well.
jones - love his willingness to do what is needed.
sands - great potential power. havent had that in a while other than alvarez.
g sanchez - showed signs of quality AB last year. nice D in late innings
hawpe - fully healthy now after 2 years of TJ and rehab.
robinson - even this guy is a neat story and potential as a hitter.
presley - nothing wrong with him being a spark off our bench.

catchers - martin isnt going to hit HRs with all the yankees murders row. he will get back to smart AB and hitting where it is pitched, esp with a deep LC fence. he an mcK will improve on lst years productivity.

the only place i really have no excitement is our middle infielders. i hope we only go north with one of harrison, mercer, darnaud. barmes and walker play a lot and barmes was pretty durable last year. hoping inge can be the other backup IF. would hate to keep 2 IF that cant hit when we have OF and corner IF that have the potential to be late inning sparks in the box.

i am excited to see the competition for positions and slots on the 25 man push the cream to the top. we seem deeper than recent years with less really long shots and not needing saviors because we have cutch and alvarez with proven breakouts and walker on the verge withstanding injury. so more looking for competent average to a little above ave players at LF, RF, 1B with ave at SS and C.

pitching again will be a strong suit for us and starters will go farther, relievers wont be as iffy, because we will have more cushions because of more offensive firepower this year.

i'm done, wish it was april 1.

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Post Sychmd! Great points, as well. I agree whole heartedly.

As I have said earlier, I am as excited for the potential of this Pirates team, more than I have been for any Pirates team in a long, long time.

I think we can break the streak & by extension, surprise a lot of people this yr & do some really good things this season.

Burgh

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice point about McDonald! For a good part of the season last year he looked like a true ace... Pitching deep into games. Controlling the strike zone.. Stingy with walks and hits... Having him as a #3 starter might take a little pressure off! And having a deeper rotation might mean a little more rest for all of the starters so they will not wear out or break down as easily..

This could be the best pirates rotation we have seen in 20+ years if they can stay healthy!

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope springs eternal like always. Not sure I'm excited about the potential, mainly because there aren't a ton of high upside guys for this year. But I think they are on more solid footing going into this year more-so than last year.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah,

Maybe McDonald with another year of experience under his belt will be able to avoid the wheels from falling off like they did last year in the second half.