• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who does FM need to fight?

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who does Mayweather need to fight to get credit and to silence the nay sayers and the haters. It's clear that he and Pac likely won't fight I personally believe both fighters/camps can shoulder some blame. So many people criticize this guy and credit others for generally fighting the same fighters. I personally believe he can't win and whom ever he fights there will always be some kind of excuse or disclaimer added to dis credit him. GGG is the flavor of the week. Me I would like to see him fight Danny Garcia or Mythesse. I know I butchered the spelling of Mythesse. I think Mythesse is a straight best and is a serious problem for any fighter in that weight class.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needed to fight Pacquiao a few years ago, the doors closing on his legacy. Floyd already said he doesn't care about legacy, only money, so you got to accept him for who he is. He'll never be one of the greatest boxers because of that.

Most of the best fighters of all time would have fought Pacquiao 3 times by now. Ali never refused to fight Frazier just because Frazier's style was well suited for battling Ali. Oscar De La Hoya knocked out Fernando Vargas despite Vargas' steroid use. Floyd has no excuses.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who does Mayweather need to fight to get credit and to silence the nay sayers and the haters. It's clear that he and Pac likely won't fight I personally believe both fighters/camps can shoulder some blame. So many people criticize this guy and credit others for generally fighting the same fighters. I personally believe he can't win and whom ever he fights there will always be some kind of excuse or disclaimer added to dis credit him. GGG is the flavor of the week. Me I would like to see him fight Danny Garcia or Mythesse. I know I butchered the spelling of Mythesse. I think Mythesse is a straight best and is a serious problem for any fighter in that weight class.

Part of Floyds problem is he already outclasses the 147 weight division. I am not even sure who would be a good fight for him right now. Maybe a rematch with Cotto who looks a lot better as of late with Freddie in his corner. But again that is a now 160 fighter. I would love to see that rematch though.
Off hand I cant think of any 147 to 154 fighters he hasn't already beaten worth fighting.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe have Shawn Porter fight Keith Thurman & the winner gets the grand prize of losing to Floyd?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say he outclasses his weight division all you want, he hasn't fought the 2nd best guy next to him.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say he outclasses his weight division all you want, he hasn't fought the 2nd best guy next to him.

well the OP says it is clear FM/Pac wont be fighting. then asked who he needs to fight.
So I dismissed the thought of him fighting Pac. Unless you are saying someone else is the #2 guy, in which case my bad.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needed to fight Pacquiao a few years ago, the doors closing on his legacy. Floyd already said he doesn't care about legacy, only money, so you got to accept him for who he is. He'll never be one of the greatest boxers because of that.

Most of the best fighters of all time would have fought Pacquiao 3 times by now. Ali never refused to fight Frazier just because Frazier's style was well suited for battling Ali. Oscar De La Hoya knocked out Fernando Vargas despite Vargas' steroid use. Floyd has no excuses.

I get he hasn't and won't fight Pac. I have to strongly disagree with you saying he's not one of the greatest of all time though. At the weight class(es) he fight in he's IMO without question at least a top 10 of all time great. He and Pac not fitting has more to do with boxing politics and ego than one fighter fearing the other. People like to say he's avoiding a certain style; again I don't think so. Who did Pac fight that could match his style? Over the past 8 yrs are so the have pretty much fault the same guys. Pac isn't fighing a bunch of guys that make me say oh he took a chance getting in the ring with this guy.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe have Shawn Porter fight Keith Thurman & the winner gets the grand prize of losing to Floyd?

I think it would be much of the same with either of those two guys. People will say he took those guys on because he knew they couldn't match his skill in the ring. Iv'e only seen glimpses of Porter so I don't know much about him. Thurman is a nice little fighter, he has the power to test FM.....I don't believe he has the skill to be in the ring with him for another couples years at which point FM will likely be a shell of himself. I wouldn't mind seeing that fight though. I don't know why I want to see him fight Garcia. I think it would be a great fight.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get he hasn't and won't fight Pac. I have to strongly disagree with you saying he's not one of the greatest of all time though. At the weight class(es) he fight in he's IMO without question at least a top 10 of all time great. He and Pac not fitting has more to do with boxing politics and ego than one fighter fearing the other. People like to say he's avoiding a certain style; again I don't think so. Who did Pac fight that could match his style? Over the past 8 yrs are so the have pretty much fault the same guys. Pac isn't fighing a bunch of guys that make me say oh he took a chance getting in the ring with this guy.

Pacquiao v Marquez was a war (as well as the other 2 fights). Marquez's strategy the whole night was to land that one counterpunch that would stagger Pacquiao. When he landed it, it just happened to knock him out cold, it wasn't a lucky punch. Bradley tried to bait Pacquiao the same way but he was unsuccessful because Pacquiao didn't allow himself to make the same mistake, Pacquiao picked his shots a little more carefully. Boxers who have been in wars get a lot more respect from me, in my personal opinion.

I don't know, it just seems like Pacquiao has done everything to try to fight Floyd. He agreed to take less of the pot even when he was the #1 pound for pound ranked fighter in the world, he agreed to take Floyd's drug test immediately after the fight in the lockeroom, he's called him out on television numerous times. I just think it boils down to Floyd not wanting to have a war, I don't think he cares about being considered the best boxer, he just cares about his health and his money. Which I honestly can't knock him for, but that's not what boxing has been about in the 100+ years of the sports existence.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of you guys have been sleeping in class again.

Gennady Golovkin.

Any conversation about who should Mayweather should fight is laughable if his name is not in it.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about GGG but we damn well know the bitch Floyd will not fight him

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well the OP says it is clear FM/Pac wont be fighting. then asked who he needs to fight.
So I dismissed the thought of him fighting Pac. Unless you are saying someone else is the #2 guy, in which case my bad.

Didn't mean to step all over your post, just saying that I don't think you can erase not fighting Pacquiao when they are both in their prime. Most great champions take all challengers.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't mean to step all over your post, just saying that I don't think you can erase not fighting Pacquiao when they are both in their prime. Most great champions take all challengers.

I didn't take it as you stepping on it. Just explaining why I didn't count Pac.

BTW I saw a thing where Freddie Roach wants Mayweather to fight either Pac or Cotto.

Freddie thinks either will win.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't take it as you stepping on it. Just explaining why I didn't count Pac.

BTW I saw a thing where Freddie Roach wants Mayweather to fight either Pac or Cotto.

Freddie thinks either will win.

I think Freddie is right. Cotto has gotten much better since he lost to Trout (after the floyd fight) after he changed trainers.

Floyd do not want it with Cotto. I actually give Cotto a better chance of winning over Pacman

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Freddie is right. Cotto has gotten much better since he lost to Trout (after the floyd fight) after he changed trainers.

Floyd do not want it with Cotto. I actually give Cotto a better chance of winning over Pacman

Cotto isn't in either of these dudes class IMO. To me Cotto is a stepping stone fighter. If you can't beat him you don't have what it takes to be a real champion, but he's not the guy who going to routinely have success against one of the guys who have 1 of the 3 real belts. Cotto is going to fight Mayweather or Pac at 147 or 154 that's not going to be his best weight to fight those dudes at.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By a show of hands who want's to see Floyd lose just because you hate him and your jaded against him? Come on fellas I don't see Cotto beating him we can debate Floyd and Pac all day and we likely can both likely create plausible scenarios that can justify why our guy won't win. Floyd fought in front of Cotto. Cotto didn't have the Hand speed or power to finish Floyd. Floyd isn't going to lose to a one dimensional fighter that's why Canelo didn't have a chance. GGG offers more and would likely create a lot of problems for Floyd, because of the weight difference I think it's not likely for the dudes to fight. GGG is a lot bigger dude and the fight would heavily favor him and is an unrealistic match up because of his size.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cotto isn't in either of these dudes class IMO. To me Cotto is a stepping stone fighter. If you can't beat him you don't have what it takes to be a real champion, but he's not the guy who going to routinely have success against one of the guys who have 1 of the 3 real belts. Cotto is going to fight Mayweather or Pac at 147 or 154 that's not going to be his best weight to fight those dudes at.

Cotto wont go down to 147 anymore. (according to Roach) He is a 154 fighter.

Roach also said if the Canelo Cotto fight falls through he wouldn't be against fighting GGG at like 155 (for the 160 belts) they both hold.

Sanchez (GGG's trainer) said they would drop to 154 for big fights, so I don't think the 155 fight would be an issue.

Robert Garcia says Cotto is to small to fight GGG & he shouldn't do it.

So if Cotto Mayweather II was ever gonna happen it would be at 154 like it was last time.

Roger mayweather has said he thinks Cotto with Roach is a better fighter than Pac, so I don't see mayweather fighting Cotto a 2nd time. He will merely sit on his throne & arrogantly say already beat why fight him again. Staying away from that fight until he retires.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By a show of hands who want's to see Floyd lose just because you hate him and your jaded against him? Come on fellas I don't see Cotto beating him we can debate Floyd and Pac all day and we likely can both likely create plausible scenarios that can justify why our guy won't win. Floyd fought in front of Cotto. Cotto didn't have the Hand speed or power to finish Floyd. Floyd isn't going to lose to a one dimensional fighter that's why Canelo didn't have a chance. GGG offers more and would likely create a lot of problems for Floyd, because of the weight difference I think it's not likely for the dudes to fight. GGG is a lot bigger dude and the fight would heavily favor him and is an unrealistic match up because of his size.

to be honest it wouldn't be fair to demand a GGG/Mayweather fight. If people in the boxing world are saying Cotto is too small for GGG, then that is even worse for Mayweather.

Now for the rest of your questions.
I would love to see Mayweather lose to a top fighter. I would hate to see mayweather lose because he stayed in the sport too long. So I would like to see him lose, but not to someone undeserving.
You underestimate Cotto's skills. he knows how to throw puches with timing. No he is slow as hell compared to Mayweather, but the reason he still got to Mayweather is because of his ability to cut off the ring. Something Canelo isn't as good at.
I don't know if Cotto could beat mayweather, but it would the most challenging fight mayweather has had in a couple decades.
BTW Mayweather himself has said his last fight with Cotto was his most chanllenging fight. he mentiones that when he was talking crap after beating maidana.
I would rather see a 2nd fight against cotto than have a 2nd fight against maidana. I don't care what the scorecards said. Maidana didn't do much against Floyd. Floyd was right about the wrestling match.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cotto wont go down to 147 anymore. (according to Roach) He is a 154 fighter.

Roach also said if the Canelo Cotto fight falls through he wouldn't be against fighting GGG at like 155 (for the 160 belts) they both hold.

Sanchez (GGG's trainer) said they would drop to 154 for big fights, so I don't think the 155 fight would be an issue.

Robert Garcia says Cotto is to small to fight GGG & he shouldn't do it.

So if Cotto Mayweather II was ever gonna happen it would be at 154 like it was last time.

Roger mayweather has said he thinks Cotto with Roach is a better fighter than Pac, so I don't see mayweather fighting Cotto a 2nd time. He will merely sit on his throne & arrogantly say already beat why fight him again. Staying away from that fight until he retires.

He may be better don't mean he can fight with Floyd. So if Floyd won't take this fight he's ducking him? Floyd has no reason to fight a guy he out classes. Cotto had his shot and missed out. I'm not against these to fighting again but it wouldn't bother me in the least bit if they didn't. Again Roach needs Floyd on a ticket not the other way around so of coarse he's going to play the he's ducking my fighters card. It's like you referenced earlier lets see him fight some of these young up and coming fighters. It's clear that he aint donig business with him so it's no longer a point of contention for me. Bring on the young guns. Floyd is the pound for pound king and the world is his oyster. If he's ever to do business with Roach again. He's going to win on every front so Roaches choice is to give in or checkout it aint happening.