• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's a good free anti virus download

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any suggestions? thanks in advance.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what version of Windows you're using and how many ads you want to pester you. If you're using Windows Vista or 7 just use MS Security Essentials for ad free AV protection, if you're on Windows 8 MS Security Essentials in built into the OS and is enabled if no other AV is found. If you're using XP or you don't mind ads go with AVG...

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you KS, hope you're feeling better. I'm not much of a religious man but have included you in my prayers.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My computer says it's Windows 8.1

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what version of Windows you're using and how many ads you want to pester you. If you're using Windows Vista or 7 just use MS Security Essentials for ad free AV protection, if you're on Windows 8 MS Security Essentials in built into the OS and is enabled if no other AV is found. If you're using XP or you don't mind ads go with AVG...

+1 for MS Security Essentials...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have windows 7, it has windows defender built in, do i downoload MSE?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i lied its windows 8

No. Win 8 has defender built in and unlike defender in 7 or earlier versions, this one covers viruses and malware as well as rootkits.

If you have win 8 of some flavor, just make sure defender is running and you should be ok.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Let me take this time to once again recommend people also install sandboxie. If you are ever tempted to open that unknown file download or visit a risky web site, doing it in a sandbox entirely prevents damage to your computer. There is no chance you are hacked, have key loggers, or even those pesky cryptolocker derivative take overs.

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Win 8 has defender built in and unlike defender in 7 or earlier versions, this one covers viruses and malware as well as rootkits.

If you have win 8 of some flavor, just make sure defender is running and you should be ok.

Let me take this time to once again recommend people also install sandboxie. If you are ever tempted to open that unknown file download or visit a risky web site, doing it in a sandbox entirely prevents damage to your computer. There is no chance you are hacked, have key loggers, or even those pesky cryptolocker derivative take overs.

Thanks for the info. I try to help out all the police officers I work with by fixing their home PC's when they fuck them up. I used to work part time for Staples and what they charge to remove viruses and spyware seems to me like a form of r*pe.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how high the prices are for basic computer services these days.

I ran my own business doing on site work in the mid to late 90's. Only the biggest of the big guys charged over $100/hour. Geek squad and their ilk charge upward of $200/hour. Ask for on site network support and see how fast that number grows.

It's good for me though since I have a full time tech job and can still make some outstanding money on the side because of what they charge.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geek Squad service pricing is ridiculous. Usually they go straight to reinstalling the OS, everybody should learn how to do that for themselves, it's not hard.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More and more are finding ways to detect when they are sandboxed though...first rule I tell people is turn off preview in email and delete anything from anybody/where that you don't recognize, or put your email on a Linux machine.