• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 14: Redskins @ Eagles

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is this little thing called a salary cap. Within that cap, we have a GM who has made it a public point, that he absolutely will not over pay one player at the expense of the greater good. Rebuilding this defense will not come cheaply, nor will any attempts to retain the current offensive roster. While we certainly hope to make some positive moves in the draft, there are also players in free agency that may be targeted as less expensive replacements for current starters. This, I'll point out, Could be most telling at positions like OL, RB and WR..

What I am firmly convinced of at this point is, that under SM, this team will no longer exhaust the entire cap for an upcoming season. We are no longer that team that becomes inflexible because of cap restraints. That said, with respect to the Garcon v. Jackson debate, both will either sign very cap friendly contracts ( possibly one year deals) or both will be let go. While I'm sure that many here would love to have one or both back because of what each currently brings. I can see easilly replacing both and having no drop off in production offensively. Maybe improvement. It's a young man's game, 30-31 year old WR's may serve an immediate need, but in the long term, that is beyond 31-32, the NFL generally moves on.

BTW: Garcon turns 31 in August and Jackson just turned 30 this month.

Now you are talking out of your ass. We will not lose BOTH of them. Cmon man. If Doctson stayed healthy and produced you might have a little point but that did not happen. One will be retained.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are talking out of your ass. We will not lose BOTH of them. Cmon man. If Doctson stayed healthy and produced you might have a little point but that did not happen. One will be retained.

Take your time and reread my post, In context I never said that we will lose both, only the possibility because of SM's self imposed cap restraint.

BTW: are you really in opposition to building an overall better product on the field even at the expense of moving on from one or both of these players? Or are you not able to visualize beyond the current make-up of this roster?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the best. Jackson made a great play adjusting to the ball. He beat man to man coverage on that deep play. The Eagles didn't even have safety help on him which is confusing. just like Kiem said we probably won keep both.
That game changing play likely won us this football game given time of possession

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By your own admission, DJax is going to get an offer we can't match. Why couldn't the same happen to Garcon? The point Stymie is making is that there is a price point on booth of these guys that SM walks away. Mainly because the risk vs the reward for them gets too high at a certain price level and contract commitment. Not only due to their age, but to lost opportunity that SM can't execute on due to the large commitments to them.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take your time and reread my post, In context I never said that we will lose both, only the possibility because of SM's self imposed cap restraint.

BTW: are you really in opposition to building an overall better product on the field even at the expense of moving on from one or both of these players? Or are you not able to visualize beyond the current make-up of this roster?

Even mentioning that there is a possibly to lose both is crazy. KC would go nuts. Its not very likely to happen

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By your own admission, DJax is going to get an offer we can't match. Why couldn't the same happen to Garcon? The point Stymie is making is that there is a price point on booth of these guys that SM walks away. Mainly because the risk vs the reward for them gets too high at a certain price level and contract commitment. Not only due to their age, but to lost opportunity that SM can't execute on due to the large commitments to them.

Garcon will not break the bank b/c of his age. Plus I think he would want to be here.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that is a fair opinion.

In a bidding war for DJ do you really think we would land DJ? Its more certain that PG returns than DJ. Kiem admits it also.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even mentioning that there is a possibly to lose both is crazy. KC would go nuts. Its not very likely to happen

So, by your own reasoning, Both could come to the bargaing table asking for 10 million or more per, or some outrageous guarantee amount and the team won't thank them for services rendered then wish them well elsewhere. Beyond that, just hoe crazy do you think KC will go?........Crazy enough to also come to that same bargaining table, ask for much less so that one or both of these guys can be resigned?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, by your own reasoning, Both could come to the bargaing table asking for 10 million or more per, or some outrageous guarantee amount and the team won't thank them for services rendered then wish them well elsewhere. Beyond that, just hoe crazy do you think KC will go?........Crazy enough to also come to that same bargaining table, ask for much less so that one or both of these guys can be resigned?

If that were the case we would retain one not both. We wouldn't let both walk. Like I said to jy do you really think we would win a bidding war for DJ on the open market?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garcon will not break the bank b/c of his age. Plus I think he would want to be here.

Garcon is likely looking at his last opportunity to get a lucrative contract, is it possible that he doesn't know what his value to the team is? Ok, possible, but highly unlikely, he won't come cheaply either because of these two factors. You know this, already, 30 year old men don't consider themselves old, even in the NFL. Dude will be looking here and elsewhere for the best contract he can get, it's just the nature of the business.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that were the case we would retain one not both. We wouldn't let both walk. Like I said to jy do you really think we would win a bidding war for DJ on the open market?

Do you think that we would even entertain a bidding war for Garcon? Both could happen, and that is exactly my point!

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually not to this extreme but there is some truth to Cousins doing something along these lines. Perhaps to the dismay of his agent, but it may not be in his interest to go nuts with his demands & make it tougher to add more talent (if not immediately then perhaps in the future). I don't think Cousins is this type of person so I think that they will agree on a somewhat reasonable amt.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think that we would even entertain a bidding war for Garcon? Both could happen, and that is exactly my point!

I just think they will be a bidding war for DJ not PG. PG will get interest but DJ will draw more money.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually not to this extreme but there is some truth to Cousins doing something along these lines. Perhaps to the dismay of his agent, but it may not be in his interest to go nuts with his demands & make it tougher to add more talent (if not immediately then perhaps in the future). I don't think Cousins is this type of person so I think that they will agree on a somewhat reasonable amt.

Can't argue your well made points, however, not to be too much of a stickler, we have seen KC and his reps in that position before, I believe it was...hmmm, let me think,...a YEAR ago, when a lot of folks here dismissed, SM's offer based on cap structure as simply a bargaining ploy. As time moves on, I'm more and more convinced that this GM, says what he means and means what he says. If in an earlier scenario, he stuck with his position, how else do we take the word of our GM other than literally?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't argue your well made points, however, not to be too much of a stickler, we have seen KC and his reps in that position before, I believe it was...hmmm, let me think,...a YEAR ago, when a lot of folks here dismissed, SM's offer based on cap structure as simply a bargaining ploy. As time moves on, I'm more and more convinced that this GM, says what he means and means what he says. If in an earlier scenario, he stuck with his position, how else do we take the word of our GM other than literally?

I hear you, but in this case I think that SM & any decent FO person knows the value of a good NFL QB & is in the $20M/yr range (give or take). Last offseason was different since Cousins had yet to prove himself with a decent sample size. He has now proven his worth & I believe that he will get this done, but - as I stated - not say a contract that is like Luck or better. SM knows that he really doesn't have a better option. You can pursue other options for other positions but not at QB.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you, but in this case I think that SM & any decent FO person knows the value of a good NFL QB & is in the $20M/yr range (give or take). Last offseason was different since Cousins had yet to prove himself with a decent sample size. He has now proven his worth & I believe that he will get this done, but - as I stated - not say a contract that is like Luck or better. SM knows that he really doesn't have a better option. You can pursue other options for other positions but not at QB.
Also, Last year, the offer made to KC was considerably less than the tag. I heard the best SM offered was $16M. It made sense for KC to accept the tag. My bet is this year, SMs offer will be more in line with the tag with appropriate guarantees over the long term. While I don't think he's going to get $24M/yr, he will get somewhere between $20-24M averaged over the contract. He will also get a significant signing bonus (which means next years cap hit from a contract perspective will be much less, maybe $18-20M) as well as maybe as much as 50% guaranteed.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe that they want to get a deal done as well, however, if it is one that forces a WOW!! from the sporting world, we may have issues elsewhere. That is my biggest fear at this point concerning contracts. I do appreciate you guys making every attempt to calm my concerns. I don't know if I'm ready to go into another season where we are able to win games offensively and give them away just as easily defensively. Windows of opportunity open for only short periods of time in terms of winning championships, I hope that we are not wasting this chance by spending too heavily on one side of the ball.